It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dieting and Exercise Aren't Effective Fat Loss Tools

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaMind
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

What do you mean by freshman 35? What is that?

If I'm correct it means the amount of weight people gain in their first year of college. However it use to be "the freshman 15" twenty odd years ago when I was in college.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

Absolutely. Thyroid function is also affected by industrial seed oils containing high amounts of omega-6 fatty acids. As it turns out, these omega 6's may be inhibiting thyroid hormone production.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Oh no that's not true at all. They use to use iodine in bakery goods but have since stopped use bromide instead, the iodine in salt is not efficient due to the fact most people in this society are on low salt diets. Also chlorine, flouride, and heavy metals interfere with the absorption of iodine thusly causing deficiency. Not to mention the iodine poor soil most of the food is grown in, so no I beg the differ with you about people getting enough iodine.

edit on 23-9-2010 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Working out should help reduce weight if you are weight lifting for muscle mass gain. Bigger muscles burn more calories.

I was 185 lbs
I started doing some weight lifting. nothing major just 8lb weights. and walking a couple miles a day.
I drink a whey protein drink daily, lots of veggies, usually a sandwich for meals
Now I am closer to my optimal weight at about 150 lbs

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth
No food just used to be too expensive for the average person to over-eat. It wasn't until the 1960s when food prices started to drop and over eating even became an option. .

Pointing towards isolated minorities and using that as an excuse
helps no-one.

Actually that is incorrect. Historically, our grandparents spent far more on food, about 15% of their bugdet, then we do today, which is only 5% of our bugdet, on average.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but over eating is the cause of the majority of obesity. There is no medical mystery. People are eating the wrong foods and they are eating double and triple more than they should eat. I go to the gym nearly every day for at least 1 hour and I eat a balanced diet. I am an adult male, 6 foot 1 inch tall, 180 pounds, 33 inch waist and I keep myself in shape. I see people flow throw the gym every month with a list 10 pages long about how they just cannot lose weight. The problem is always the same - those people are eating unhealthy foods and eating twice as much as they should eat. I eat a 500 calorie breakfast, 500-600 calorie lunch, and 500-700 calorie dinner, plus about 200-300 calories of in-between snacks per day. On a normal day I never go over 2000 calories and I probably burn an average 400 calories in the gym. And yes, I have days where I eat unhealthy food. I love chicken wings, steak, BBQ ribs and beer, but I do not consume those things on a daily basis. I have 1 day a week that I eat just about anything that I want to eat and the rest of the week I eat healthy foods. If people would journal what they eat and the portion size every day it wouldn't take long to visually understand why these people are not losing weight.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

I'm sorry please provide evidence that most people are on low salt diets. Iodine deficiency is really very low and you can't possibly assume this is the reason for the obesity epidemic. The reasons for the obesity are a simple mix of factors.

1. Increasingly sedentary lifestyles.

2. Massive intakes of simple carbs and generally high calorie intakes.

3. The way meals are put together. We have in one meal very often high levels of simple carbs alongside saturated fats. What this causes is a massive spike in insulin from the carbs which encourages fat to be stored, the fats in the meal are then simply shuttled into the fat cells. The blood sugars drop, people get hungry and so shove in more simple carbs alongside fat (think dougnuts). What this leads to is a body which thinks carbs are plentiful, is often hungry for them but still stores fats because our bodies are designed to protect against famine.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Thankyou for giving this information, I have been battling with my bodies weight for years, I can never keep it off.... Now I may have the answer thanks to you, will try this new approach and see what happens!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
No, they're not very effective to keep the weight off. But you can become rich if you invent a new piece of exercising equipment that promises to help you lose lots of weight.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

your half right. Insulin does have something to do with fat loss, but so does eating and being active. You gave the example of running a malfunctioning machine, but the human body is a little different, and while it may not have total control over fat loss, staying active and exercising does have a direct effect on human health. Would you rather drive a car thats been driven a few times a week, or one that has been in the garage for 10 years without ever being started?
Exercising and eating right are the smartest things you can do for your body, period.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I still don't understand what you are saying. That was to much for me to read. You didn't really get to the point. So what do you mean exactly? How do you actually lose the fat then? Eat less carbs? I figure that eating fat is good for you as it is animal fat and actually good for you. I started eating less carbs, and I have been losing weight. Plus I workout alot anyways. So how do you go about losing the fat?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I don't get this thread. It's baffling to me. I was in the Army. I weighed a meager 150 when I joined. I got up to 175 or so, and maintained that. I hurt my back as well, probably from lifting so much weight with my legs, and running all the time. Fast forward to several years out of the Army. No daily PT. Less active job and lifestyle. I gained weight. Gaining weight and less strength to my lower back since my spine was screwed up, made it hurt worse. I got up to 240 pounds. I thought this was ridiculous (I'm 6' even), and started hitting the gym 6 days a week. I ate "better." Not amazingly, but I didn't eat fast foods except rarely, I tried to drink less, and so on.

I lost 35 pounds in 3 months. I gained a rather lot of muscle in that time too, going from benching a sad 150 to 230, curling with 25 pound weights to curling 60 pounds weights, and so on. I could run for an hour like the old days. My back barely hurt. I didn't get sick as I kept that up for over a year.

I could now exercise say, 3 days a week now, and eat reasonably well, and be in great shape. Exercise and diet was EVERYTHING. There is no magical cure. Our current easy lifestyle (compared to our not-so-distant past).. our evolved bodies just don't get it. They are used to lots of exercise.. just like most animals get.

And food portions are WAY way out of control. Consider: A serving of steak should be 4 ounces. Most people eat from 3 to 4 times that much... with potatoes loaded with stuff.. and rolls and more, and is it any wonder the country is full of blimp-like people?

You can believe what you like, but I know for a fact: exercise and decent eating keep you in shape. Keeping in shape leads to being more active.. you don't mind being seen, and you have more energy to do things. There is no magical universe where being lazy and eating like crap will make you healthy.

It was funny.. 'cause I was visiting a weight loss chat room to get more ideas after I lost 40 or so pounds, and people would ask "what did you do?! I've taken these supplements and diet pill things and can't lose anything!" Simple answer: eat less, exercise more. It actually works. Those other "magic" cures are not going to help you to a healthy lifestyle.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Devo,

Word to the wise from the experienced: Say "....in some people," a the conclusion of your post to stave off the fury.

While I agree with your information, the issue is people are different based on factors as blood, consciousness, region (latitude) and so on. To avoid the fights from those whose commitment to their POV exceeds their ability to add new information to their tool kit, simply adding that little addendum will save some agro.

Might be helpful for those who are interested in adding information to their tool kit to see a simple 6-8 week protocol to implement your information for testing, for those interested.

For many, please don't call "processed food" food. It isn't. Orange juice, that has the water taken out and put back in, and then burned to death is NOT food. Food, as it was meant to be and can still be found with some effort, is a complex melange of nutrients and consciousness. The sun itself infuses each item with a certain kind of energy that has a use, the processing of that food turns it into something else entirely. If one were to take the time and experiment with several raw meats, you would find the quality and effect different on each. Try eating some raw ostrich, buffalo, cow and chicken and study the vibration coming from each. When cooked to death, the meats are all pretty much the same except for taste.

The reason I make the point about the "food" as that much of the antidotes to the problems of weight and health are compensations for the inability of many to process that stuff as food. Which brings me back to "... for some people" as the way in which people deal with what they have to consume to stay alive is unique to each.

By the reaction I'd say this post is a winner.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Below are some articles you can read on the subject. The fact remains exercise and caloric discipline is great for some to stay trim and healthy however that don't work for all people due to other issues. In a nutshell people today don't always meet their body's daily requirements for certain nutrients, minerals, and water even with the best of intentions.

Decrease Salt Usage Iodine Deficiency
Iodine for Health
Decreased Salt Consumption
Dietary Salt Restrictions
Iodine Deficiency and Obesity
Overlooked Contributor to Obesity
The Iodine Project

edit on 23-9-2010 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
when cooking

dont over cook your veggies
and use natural oils to capture the nutrients
use sea salt , brown sugar and real butter
remember to use herbs
and dont over do on white flours and yeast
remember to eat fish, jello,
liver and full corn hard brown bread

when eating

enjoy , talk and laugh
if possible drink a glass of wine or enjoy a beer
dont drink soda fizzy pops
and take your time.

after eating

try to sit with a straight back for 10-15 minutes
so the enzymes that brake down the food
gets going in your belly, this enhances
the nutrients to get absorbed by your body
which results in a better life style and your
body will thank you.

if possible learn to use a sauna or hotbox

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I don't buy your argument at all. I guarantee you that diet and exercise are VERY effective tools to make people lose weight. Haven't you ever seen the show 'The Biggest Loser' on television? Why don't you go ask any member of a wrestling team or rowing crew team if exercising helps them lose weight? I'm sure they could clear up any misconceptions you have about the obvious connection between exercise and weight loss.

You mentioned (and put in bold) that you believe that obesity causes laziness. I'm sort of confused because I don't really understand how a physical condition (obesity) can cause a mental condition (laziness). Since you are immediately in control of your mind but not immediately in control of your body, I suggest you fix your intellectual laziness and go exercise harder and your physical state will probably improve as well. That's right, get off your lazy butt and go exercise, or stop complaining about being fat. I also include writing articles justifying being fat to relieve your cognitive dissonance about being fat, as complaining.

By cognitive dissonance, I'm referring to the fact that the OP mentioned (in jest perhaps) that he/she was displeased with his/her appearance at a June barbecue. Maybe if you took the time you spent to write this fatty article and set it aside, the same time every day, and used it to sustain your heartbeat between 140 and 160, you would look great at your next barbecue.

Speaking of barbecues, if you're eating red meat almost every night and drinking alcohol every night, you have no right to complain or be confused about why you are fat. Next time you see an extremely fat person, ask yourself how much of that mass is probably made out of red meat alone. It's not made out of broccoli, which is why dieting is important.

When we are talking exercise, every little bit helps. Remember that the person who does only 10 sit-ups a day, every day, has noticeably better abs than the person who does nothing at all after a month.

Here's a scientific equation for you:
Sustained Exercise Over Time + MOTIVATION ---> Weight Loss

Saying obesity causes laziness may be partially true because it restricts mobility, but that's sort of like saying that maybe cancer isn't caused by cigarettes, it's just the people smoking them were going to get cancer anyways.
Seriously, come on.

By saying dieting and exercise aren't the "most effective" ways to lose weight, I guess that's true if you measure success by pounds lost, and compare the results to someone who got liposuction or a tummy tuck. While those options may make you lose weight, that is treating the symptom, and your body is still unhealthy. Those people NEED exercise just as much as if they still looked fat. Which brings me back to...

Dieting and exercise are the healthiest ways to lose weight.

Please remember:
1) You are not a truck, truck analogies don't work on you
2) Telling other people that diet and exercise don't work, to justify your lack of diet and exercise and consequent fatness is not cool. You are essentially spreading your false information and lazy mental state to other people, who may be encouraged to let their health deteriorate. I read in one of these threads that emotional states have similar epidemiology as diseases, the antidote is YOU KNOW YOU NEED TO EXERCISE.
3) A little goes a really long way, you just have to be willing to do a little bit.
4) Now go exercise. If you don't you lack discipline & must consciously admit it to yourself.
5) Anyone who replied to this thread in agreement with the author, you need to be real with yourself please. It may be progressive to be tolerant of fat people but it is not good for your health to be fat, or to tell people that exercising and dieting 'are not effective'. I'm done now, apologize if anyone has been offended. This is just my opinion, so take it at that.

edit on 23-9-2010 by Albastion because: typo fix, added the & symbol

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Aninonymous

Thanks. There's no doubt that a car differs from the human body. It's an analogy to make the point easier to understand without getting too technical.

Exercising and eating healthily is indeed very important.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Albastion

you do realize that the majority of people who die from cancer have never smoked
and guess what
majority of people who die, die prematurely under the age of 70
and guess what
smokers tend to live longer then non smokers

so that cigaret analogy is a bit far fetched and holds no true value

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Albastion
You mentioned (and put in bold) that you believe that obesity causes laziness. I'm sort of confused because I don't really understand how a physical condition (obesity) can cause a mental condition (laziness).

Well, it's called physiology. Do you think a woman on her period is bitchy because she made a psychological decision to do so?

That's right, get off your lazy butt and go exercise, or stop complaining about being fat. I also include writing articles justifying being fat to relieve your cognitive dissonance about being fat, as complaining.

Lethargy and laziness and depression are all associated with a lack of energy. Burning more fuel is about as backwards as you can get.

By cognitive dissonance, I'm referring to the fact that the OP mentioned (in jest perhaps) that he/she was displeased with his/her appearance at a June barbecue. Maybe if you took the time you spent to write this fatty article and set it aside, the same time every day, and used it to sustain your heartbeat between 140 and 160, you would look great at your next barbecue.

You can't be serious? Please go read it again.
It's no wonder you didn't understand what I was pointing out.

When we are talking exercise, every little bit helps. Remember that the person who does only 10 sit-ups a day, every day, has noticeably better abs than the person who does nothing at all after a month.

Hey, imagine that. Another piece of health science mythology. Nice try.

Remember that:

1. The preface in the OP is an ANALOGY!
2. Reading comprehension is vital
3. Reading the OP is vital

You clearly missed the point.

That is al.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

No, I read your thread and understood it, so don't say I didn't "get it".

I DISAGREE with you. You are making the mistake of taking my disagreement with your argument and personal anecdote/opinion as a lack of understanding. You are wrong to do so.

I understand what you mean about physiology... the body can affect emotions, like a girl on her period might be 'bitchy' like you mentioned. I don't disagree with that, hormones affect the body a lot.

You attributed a lot of weight loss to hormone imbalances. I have no disagreement with you there. Some people are born with thyroid disorders or other genetic problems that makes them fat. This is a small minority, however.

Diet and Exercise are known to help regulate your hormone levels, which leads to healthy physiology.

Your argument is basically Hormone Imbalance (leads to) Fatness, and fails to address the underlying cause of the hormone imbalance in the first place, which is lack of exercise. Lack of exercise is caused by lack of motivation.

Lack of Motivation (leads to) Lack of Diet and Exercise (leads to) Hormone Imbalance (leads to) Fatness

Guess what? If a hormone is making you "statistically less motivated" than the average person to go exercise, that's still your problem, it's still 100% YOUR FAULT IF YOU DON'T EXERCISE, you made the choice. If hormones could run wild dictating people's actions like you are implying, then we can never have a woman president because I don't want her starting any world wars when she's on her period.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join