It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dieting and Exercise Aren't Effective Fat Loss Tools

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Most of you have never been seriously overweight and lost it all and kept it off for years and years or you wouldn't be posting your crap recommendations. You simply don't have a clue.

What about that thin guy, we all know one, that never - NEVER - works out and - NEVER - worries about what they eat? What about those people - how are they that way? I have known many. They do no exercise. They eat more than me. They never worry about what they are eating. They eat junk all the time. Probably not very healthy but not fat - not now - not ever. Maybe just maybe when they are in their 40s or 50s they will put on another 20 lbs. Then get motivated to go to the gym lose their gut and then talk about how easy it is to lose weight and keep it off ..

Please.

edit on 23-9-2010 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

edit watch this Why are thin people not fat?

That BBC documentary may change the way you look at thinness and obesity.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
great read but you cant believe every scientific find out thur, i myself have a great metabolizism and i can eat w/e i want and then sum and then sum more beers and im still in nice shape i dont exercise or anything. for the obese or overwieght a good diet and excersize is great i dont give a rats a$$ what anybody says! i personally think its has to do with your metabolizism and your genetics but freakin eating too much is not good for any 1 us americans well were fkn fat asses to b blunt. if we were to stick to a good diet and exercise i bet we could feed all the needy with all the food we dont eat and thats just in america. so i think this scientific wtf ever is just that its w/e. if your morbidly obese like sum then diet and excersize aint gna do shxt 4 ya, but ya put yaself thur so its not like we werent sayin hey go eat at fkn mac d's every and all day we all no whats good and bad sum just seem to ignore that they are getting fat and once ya thur its hard to get back down to a healthy size and staying at that size is difficult cuz they want fkn big macs all day.plus once ya to overweight working out is kinda impossible i mean have you seen sum of these people wtf, im less sympathetic to obesity its the persons own fault. its kinda like drug or alcohol addiction in a way i guess. anyways great read please every 1 dont stop working out and eating healthy its good 4 you!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
reply to post by camaro68ss

I know it's tough to understand. But that's no need to get fiesty.

Here, chew on this..How many overweight UPS drivers have you seen in your lifetime? Do you have any idea how much physically demanding labor that is?

Nothing? Next time you're driving down the road take a look at the road workers that work 8 hours a day in the heat lifting heavy things....

These things must be considered. And since you want to ignore the science...all I can do is give you som real world examples of people "exercising" all day long and still overweight.

What they do is not elevating their heartrate enough and how many of the ups drivers are eating right? You dont know their eating habits. I just got back from Montreal Canada and i had to look to find a fat person.They were few and far between. But here where i live in NC usa they are a dime a dozen. Hmm whats the difference? Same race of people on same continent!!! Illl tell you why cause in Montreal i saw people walking all the time and cycling and also i didnt see them eating huge plates of food at the buffet. Most women there were thin and if you go to the parks you saw tons of active people.

So you tell me what magical thing they have 900 miles north of NC that keeps them slimmer than the people here.

edit on 23-9-2010 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Caelus

HAHA, ok. Can you please tell me what fuels are being used and through which metabolic pathways when one starts jogging, then begins sprinting, then cools down by walking and then for the following rest period?

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Hmm interesting, which came first the chicken or the egg?

Although Im inclined to disagree with the theory, I do know hormones are where everything in your body (yes everything) is initiated or inhibited.

So are you implying that instead of Doctors perscribing exercise and diet plans for overweight people they should be perscribing horomone therapy? Pharmecutical grade horomone replacements? Are you implying there is no natural way to influence the glands to initiate or inhibit less or more often to obtain a healthier body?

It's proven that conscious actions (ie execise and diet) can and do influence the way glands work and how well they work. I believe in homeostasis obviosly but I don't think the hormones/glands are uneffected by anything but their own natural function.

So here we are back at the paradoxial question...which came first the chicken or the egg? or more specificly in this case action or horomone?

I will entertain the idea that people eat cuz their fat instead of fat cuz they eat, however the intervention that is the most natural and practical is STILL diet management and exercise.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

Originally posted by Spirit Warrior 11:11

2) Eat multiple small meals per day. Large meals with large blocks of time in between will cause your metabolism to slow down, store more fat, make you more tired and lethargic. It is also much better for your body because it does not absorb all nutrients during digestion only a percentage. Eating smaller more frequent meals is not only better for digestive health, but you gain more nutrients via increased absorption.

Well, that's not how we evolved. Large meals followed by long fasts were quite typical. And, as it turns out, intermittent fasting is great.

Why do you think vegetarians are healthy.

I'm not even going there. The topic at hand here is caloric balance and hormonal influences on fat loss/gain.

6) Your body MUST have exercise.

For cardiovascular health, sure. For fat loss or weight management? Absolutely not.

We evolved to be who we are today. Nomadic humans did not always have the opportunity to eat frequently and needed the fat storing abilities most people have trouble with today. We do not need to store fat necessarily, so a proper diet eliminates the bodies need and desire to store fat with the proper exercise. Exercise works with the body and hormones which regulate body weight stability kick in due to exercise.

I would also like to point out my posts do not reference dieting or exercise for weight loss. I am speaking about a lifestyle not some weekend warrior diet or fast.

Also, fasts can be VERY beneficial when done correctly for both mental, physical, and especially spiritual needs. They should NEVER, in my opinion, be used for weight loss. Fasts are generally a detox for the body-mind-spirit.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

hey i just want to have a healthy dabate there is no need to get crazy. with that said. you need to exercise and diet. you can exercise all you want but if your still kicked back 3 beers when you get home and eatting 3k-4k cal a day your not going to lose pounds. its hard to lose those pounds i know. it takes months of exercise and doing things you rather not do but it pays off in the long run

yes i dont deny some people are fat because of the genes but not all people it all comes down to energy input and output. you need to put out more then you put in. its as simple as that.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ker2010
What they do is not elevating their heartrate enough and how many of the ups drivers are eating right?

But we're talking about burning fat by maintaining a negative caloric balance. Elevated heart rates in exercise will induce a switch from fatty acid oxidation to glycolysis of carbohydrates.

You dont know their eating habits. I just got back from Montreal Canada and i had to look to find a fat person.They were few and far between. But here where i live in NC usa they are a dime a dozen. Hmm whats the difference? Same race of people on same continent!!! Illl tell you why cause in Montreal i saw people walking all the time and cycling and also i didnt see them eating huge plates of food at the buffet. Most women there were thin and if you go to the parks you saw tons of active people.

And what about all the fat new yorkers that walk to and from work everyday? You're telling me that UPS workers who do MORE than walk for 8 hours a day don't elevate their heart rates enough for fat loss but canadians who walk around a lot do? wow

So you tell me what magical thing they have 900 miles north of NC that keeps them slimmer than the people here.

Healthier Diet.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Yes, diet and exercise can work...but it's not because of a direct effect on energy balance. That's the point of the OP. The thread title can be a bit misleading, however true it is, but I have to get people to click on the thread link.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Devolution, seriously watch this video you may want to add it to your OP as more discussion and evidence to your topic.

Why are thin people not fat?

It covers many different areas of this topic and supports the claims you make in this thread.

embed not working for me sorry -

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one
Hmm interesting, which came first the chicken or the egg?

Precisely!

So are you implying that instead of Doctors perscribing exercise and diet plans for overweight people they should be perscribing horomone therapy? Pharmecutical grade horomone replacements? Are you implying there is no natural way to influence the glands to initiate or inhibit less or more often to obtain a healthier body?

Yes. A dietarily induced hormone therapy. Not hormone replacement. There is indeed a natural way.

It's proven that conscious actions (ie execise and diet) can and do influence the way glands work and how well they work. I believe in homeostasis obviosly but I don't think the hormones/glands are uneffected by anything but their own natural function.

Correct. And conscious thoughts and state of mind also influence hormones....see stress and cortisol.

I will entertain the idea that people eat cuz their fat instead of fat cuz they eat, however the intervention that is the most natural and practical is STILL diet management and exercise.

That is true IF insulin levels are lowered. Otherwise, you'll see fat people losing weight in the form of lean body mass. That's right. Restricting calories while maintaining high insulin levels will result in the body catabolizing lean body mass for energy, including muscle and vital organs (as demonstrated in clinical studies).

Yes, diet management, not caloric restriction. Multiple studies recently have shown low-carb dieters consuming more calories losing more fat than low-fat dieters. And, eating foods that spike insulin levels makes us hungry (it's an indirect effect of isulin) while eating foods that don't will hardly EVER result in overeating. These kinds of diets are the kind that fully satiate you without overeating.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

Thanks! I'll have to watch it when I get back home from work.

(I completely understand where YOU are coming from. I fell victim to the freshman 35. Not anymore, though!)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

What do you mean by freshman 35? What is that?

--- yeah I definitely think you'll enjoy that video.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Maybe to help clarify exactly what the OP is trying to get accross:

It looks like difference in "APPROACH" to dieting and exercise that is under question but not diet and exercise all together. The "less in more out approach" more specificly is the dieting method in question that is inefficient, not dieting all together. I admit the thread title is a little missleading to exactly what the OP is trying to convey.

Basicly, in starving your body and overexerting your body, you are interfereing with the natural homeostasis process that keeps hormone levels in-line and functioning properly. I have been into physical training for most my adult life with a BS in Exercise Science and from my experience and approach I never thought highly of "less in more out" for a sustained method of weight management. From my personal experience with that approach it has the highest degree of instant gratification but has an early "peak" because it's not sustainable. Eventually the body will be starved in more ways than one and the "burn-out" comes in.

Typcially when I was training I made sure my diet was "clean" in organic foods and "natural" foods while not necessarily sticking to a "strict routine". Basicly, when I was hungry, I ate and I ate only when I was hungry and I only ate as much as I needed. I wouldn't necessarily resctrict types of foods either, I would eat meat if I felt like eating meat etc. Your body knows what it needs to repair better than you "think" you do, so for my personal experience its better to literaly trust your gut and go with your desires when it comes to what you feel like eating. "obey your cravings" so to speak.

I felt better and physicaly more capable when my diet was approached like this. The bodybuilding area is as bad as the anorexic model appearance in that it is completely false. The bodybuilders winning Mr. Olympia and etc do NOT always look the way the do come competition time because it is absolutely impossible to sustain permanently on a maintenance level, so there is a huge missconception about what "healthy" looks like not only for women but for men too. Most pro bodybuilders are nothing short of malnutritioned come competition time, as well as extremely dehydrated. What you see in body building magazines is more unhealthy than anything, sad to say. The week prior to competition is commonly referred to as hell week by most bodybuilders because you are just flat out miserable, Im supprised more bodybuilders don't collapse while on stage.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Two of the most extremely active people I know are seriously over weight. One out of the two could out run most people here, She has some serious energy. She is the type of person that if she isn't scrubbing her floors,rearranging her furniture or repainting her house for the umpteenmillionth time, she is out jogging or at a night club dancing, or hitting the gym. You get tired just watching her wondering where she gets all her energy from, yet she can't lose a single pound despite being faithful to the south beach diet. You can't get anymore exercise than she gets.

I tend to get very angry when people when people say you need to eat less and exercise more because because watched my mother who struggled with a weight problem all her life kill herself trying to lose weight. It finally killed her. Yes killed her. Being over weight didn't killer her, trying to lose wight did. The methods she tried when everything else failed killed her, just so we are clear in cause some tires to say it was an underlying condition of being over weight.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

That is what I do. I have learned to trust my body to tell me what to eat.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Two of the most extremely active people I know are seriously over weight. One out of the two could out run most people here, She has some serious energy. She is the type of person that if she isn't scrubbing her floors,rearranging her furniture or repainting her house for the umpteenmillionth time, she is out jogging or at a night club dancing, or hitting the gym. You get tired just watching her wondering where she gets all her energy from, yet she can't lose a single pound despite being faithful to the south beach diet. You can't get anymore exercise than she gets.

I tend to get very angry when people when people say you need to eat less and exercise more because because watched my mother who struggled with a weight problem all her life kill herself trying to lose weight. It finally killed her. Yes killed her. Being over weight didn't killer her, trying to lose wight did. The methods she tried when everything else failed killed her, just so we are clear in cause some tires to say it was an underlying condition of being over weight.

While this may be true i still think a majority of people can lose it if they tried. Yes their may be some who cant but i still feel the majority can. Which makes the ones who can making excuses even worse because their are actual people out their who cant lose the weight due to genetics or something.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Yeah, the OP is mine. And, yes, I've admitted to a somewhat misleading title. It is, considering the context, a factual statement. I gotta get your attention somehow.

The downside? 70% of posters jumping in here without reading the OP.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
OP I read with great interest because you are right, obesity is not a symptom of gluttonous inactivity, an assumption more than a few in this society have regarding fat and obese people. However your research don't cover all the possible reasons it do shed light on the fact hormones play a huge part in uncontrolled weight gain. Not consuming enough iodine is another possible reason, a below normal daily intake of iodine causes the thyroid's production of it's hormones to be hindered causing weight gain among other symptoms.

Many doctors love to talk about the "growing obesity problem" not understanding their own ignorance to how the human body actually functions may be part of the problem. Nice work OP.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

In western socieites iodine deficiency is a rare thing because it's in the salt that is used to make everything. A single biscuit will probably reward you with your daily iodine needs (although don't quote me on that).

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join