It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Titanic sunk by steering mistake, author says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Titanic sunk by steering mistake, author says

news.yahoo.com

Louise Patten, a writer and granddaughter of Titanic second officer Charles Lightoller, said the truth about what happened nearly 100 years ago had been hidden for fear of tarnishing the reputation of her grandfather, who later became a war hero.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Conspiracy on the high seas. This author is claiming a cover-up of the official story of how the titanic sunk. The truth was hidden by those in the know to protect the profits of the corporation responsible for the tragedy. In addition, to protect the assets of the investors and family names of officers involved.

This story, if true, provides a look into what most people know to be true. Corporations and governments will lie to people to protect their money and prestige. Instead of taking responsibility for their actions they assume people will become disinterested once an official tragic reason for an event is declared, and those responsible for the failures slip silently into the shadows only to be declared heroes later on.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Titanic - inferior steel - bad workmanship - bad rudder to power ratio - iceberg = sinking.

Here's a conspiracy though. I think the Titanic sunk because Leonardo Dicaprio was such a bad actor that the powers that be decided to just end it, sparing us all another terrible performance.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I found the bit about two different steering systems interesting, at first I was confused as I though that they were saying the Titanic itself had two different systems.

I found this page that explains it better.

Early western ships were steered with a steering oar and later with a rudder moved by a tiller, just as in small sailing boats today. In both these systems, to turn to port, you push the tiller or oar to starboard. I have had a lot of fun trying to teach people used to car wheels to steer with a tiller. Their reactions are often the reverse of what is needed, though some are born with a feel for it. Conversely, I find it hard to steer a yacht with a wheel, seldom having done so.

But crucially the same page says that in ALL ships with a wheel have always been the same, i.e. you turn the wheel in the direction you want to go and the order Hard a starboard always meant turn the ship to the port.
So I don't see how it could confuse a sailor at the time as he never would have known any other way of doing it?

link to article

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Patten, who made the revelations to coincide with the publication of her new novel "Good as Gold" into which her account of events are woven

That's from her news article that just stinks to me like a fishy kipper

They should of just hit it head on but I wasn't there and if they made these mistakes then it's not too disimilar to an airline pilot with the epic task they take in flying a commercial jet to forget or do 1 tiny little thing and kaboom

Human error isn't new and I don't see why this is conspiracy, it sank yes alot of people died and they took precautions for the next liners that were built and when Britannic sank they made more precautions and such is how things move.

Turn it in to a conspiracy and kudos to her she's gonna be selling more books I would assume

Regards,

Panda

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Oh dear, I was just thinking last week "what if" the Titanic was a coverup, and now here it is!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
As someone who has been a Titanic buff his entire life because of a great grand uncle who perished that night this really does not come as a surprise. I remember seeing a documentary where they concluded that the Titanic did not stop immediately after the collision with the iceberg and that Captain Smith may have purposely kept the ship moving, it seems as though we have confirmation of that now. Makes you wonder what else Lightoller kept from the inquiry...

top topics

join