It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Compass Uses Light Beams to Detect Magnetic Field

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

September 20, 2010

Highly sensitive compasses are needed for oil discovery, earthquake detection and navigation (in the catastrophic event of a GPS failure, that is). Recently, highly sensitive compasses guided engineers as they drilled relief wells in the Gulf of Mexico after the Deepwater Horizon blowout.

These compasses are very good at finding the size of a magnetic field, but typically have to be tweaked to include a built-in local reference magnetic field so that they can also find the field’s direction. This comparison of the external field to an internal reference allows the compass to reconstruct the magnetic field, but the quality of the data can vary greatly, says study co-author Alexander Zibrov of Harvard University.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/32fd17d7647b.jpg[/atsimg]
A compass made of light promises to be more sensitive than anything in a Boy Scout’s wildest dreams. A light beam shot through a blob of rubidium atoms can directly and reliably measure the size and orientation of a magnetic field, a team of physicists reports in the Sept. 13 Physical Review A.

www.wired.com...

This is great technology, would like to see archaeologists use this to find underground artifacts, it would be a good compass for them to start a dig and save time.

They mention it could also be used in the case of a major GPS failure and earthquake detection, now we have no way of knowing if an earthquake is going to happen, it may not prevent it but certainly could save lives with evacuations.

edit on Thu Sep 23 2010 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Some interesting related links to this technology.

Reverse Engineering Quantum Compass/

Superfast Magnetic Reversal

edit on 22-9-2010 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Interesting thread Aquarius. But the compass that they have is no where sensitive enough to detect earthquakes before they strike, especially since it is only capable of 0.1 gauss sensitivity; 0.1 gauss sensitivity has been around for ages. I've personally used used a Tesla Gauss meter with 0.1 gauss sensitivity over top of earthquake epicenters while they were still active, and there was no indication that there was any activity. If you took their same instrument out over top of "Old Faithful", a well known geyser in Yellowstone National Park, their instrument would not detect Old Faithful getting ready to blow.

The only way to detect earthquakes before they strike is to use piezoseismology. Piezoseismology detects the sudden strain exerted on rocks, and measures the radiation coming from the rocks. Earthquakes of all magnitudes are detectable for hours, days, weeks and sometimes two months before they strike.

voogle vid piezoseismology

www.youtube.com...

edit on Thu Sep 23 2010 by Jbird because: fixed link

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

The only way to detect earthquakes before they strike is to use piezoseismology. Piezoseismology detects the sudden strain exerted on rocks, and measures the radiation coming from the rocks. Earthquakes of all magnitudes are detectable for hours, days, weeks and sometimes two months before they strike.

Thank you for the information on on earthquakes may be detected before they strike, you would think with all the so called advanced technology we have today they would fine a simple way.

Thanks also for the links and youtube video.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Sounds like a laser gyro is the working mechanism and they are not telling.
Mostly so people don't take it apart and use the gyro.

I do not think they are detecting a magnetic field with light.
Explaining themselves seems to be prohibited by some uber authority.

ED: The world flipped twice according to Velikovsky reading Aztec
writings. The electrical flow from the Sun remains the same but
rocks record the reversal which may have been 100 years or so
or even less, can't recall. Most likely Aztec but not that sure as
they seemed to have better records than collaborating other ancient
observations. Every 50 years or so the end of the world was anticipated.
At -600 or so the calendar stabilized, meaning no more cosmic events,
So Danial left The Exile with a new calendar, from Velikovsky.

edit on 9/23/2010 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
When will I be able to buy this thing? And for how much?
Sounds like one of the things I'll add to my 2012/2013 survival kit if I stay on Earth.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Bump
Anyone know where to buy it?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cybernet
Bump

Have no idea, I checked the original link to see if there was a contact email and didn't find one, not sure it's available to the public presently.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1

Bump

Have no idea, I checked the original link to see if there was a contact email and didn't find one, not sure it's available to the public presently.

Hm...thanks for the info!
So it seems that right now I can get it only through military circles I understand? Any idea at least when it will hit the shops? It sounds as an amazing piece of technology imho.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Cybernet

Sure the military is using it and could be a long time before it's available to the public, it reminds of night vision goggles that was used by the military and police long before the public had access.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Thanks again for the reply. I have some "friends". Will try to ask them about this tech soon in the following weeks and months. Hopefully I'm lucky enough to at least get to see them. Will post back when I have some info.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Thanks again for the reply. I have some "friends". Will try to ask them about this tech soon in the following weeks and months. Hopefully I'm lucky enough to at least get to see them. Will post back when I have some info.

Thanks Cybernet, looking forward to hearing what information you come up with, it is always nice to have "friends" isn't it.

new topics

top topics

join