It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where's the Stealth?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:08 AM
link   
euro fighter only slightly has stealth and the mig1.44 is not being produced yet and i dont know about plasma it is still being tested.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Excuse me Westpoint but what the hell do you think Russian subs were designed to do? Those are some of the stealthiest subs in the world. The Brits have stealth ships. Plus I believe the Russians were working on some ultrasonic radar for detecting and killing B-2s.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Sorry but the Us has the stealthiest sub in the world the sea wolf and we also are working on other stealth ships.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
not really. a seawolf would be found by a kilo long before the kilo would be found.
although the only kilo's in service are not, how to say this , the best equiped if they were it would make them almost undetectable.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
As stealty as a Seawolf is its still not as stealthy as a Kilo. But they do pack an impressive payload and thats were they get an advantage once the whole game of marco polo is done.

E_T

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
ultrasonic radar

That would be sonar if it uses sound waves.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
not really. a seawolf would be found by a kilo long before the kilo would be found.
although the only kilo's in service are not, how to say this , the best equiped if they were it would make them almost undetectable.

That would really have to depend on conditions etc. The seawolf is an blue water sub, a cold war relic forced on the Navy by the Clinton Admin. The Kilo is quiet when on batteries. but does have to charge them periodically, also, with a good chunk of them rusting while tied to a dock, its not the striking force it once was.

The new Virgina class SSN is supposed to be designed from the start for Litoral operations and should have no problem with Kilo class boats.

If I recall, the Russians tried to use Kilo class ships to break the CUban blockade during the missile crisis and all were found and forced to surface before they reached Cuba. However, I may have gotten the class mixed up

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Please don't mix radar stealth with acustic (submarine) stealth. And don't mix nuclear subs with diesels. Diesels canot have that advanced sensors because they are too small and as already said they need to recharge the batteries and refuel. American nuclear subs have been always quiter than russian nuclear clases. The Los Angles class that will be replaced is still better that russian Akulas. Not mentioning Seawolf and Virginia. During the 80ties Los Angeles submarines have routinely tracked russian subs.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   
still nothing is as insane as the typhoon you have to admit.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
If I recall, the Russians tried to use Kilo class ships to break the CUban blockade during the missile crisis and all were found and forced to surface before they reached Cuba. However, I may have gotten the class mixed up

You did. It was four Foxtrot-class diesel electric boats that were used.

They had nuclear topedoes with them and they were acutally loaded at one point. Fortunately they weren't used.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Well I'm not to sure about the radar for detecting stealths but I think they operated with a much higher frequency or something than normal radar. I should look this up sometime. I just saw some quick section on it in some book. BTW wasn't the flying wing concept of our precious B-2s thought up by Germany during WWII. I have also heard that for a while Russia used wooden biplanes for short range stealth ops. Because they were wooden the Germans had no idea they were there in WWII. Primitive but effective.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Well I'm not to sure about the radar for detecting stealths but I think they operated with a much higher frequency or something than normal radar. I should look this up sometime. I just saw some quick section on it in some book. BTW wasn't the flying wing concept of our precious B-2s thought up by Germany during WWII. I have also heard that for a while Russia used wooden biplanes for short range stealth ops. Because they were wooden the Germans had no idea they were there in WWII. Primitive but effective.

Jack Northrop also had a few flying wing designs. The Horton brothers were responsible for developing the flying wing concept in WWII for Germany and I believe that the allies captured a jet powered version as they rolled accross Germany.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
The Eurofighter doesnt employ stealth technologies. A small radar signature only because of its size, there are to many 90 deg angles to be stealthy.

As far as subs go the russian subs cant even compare to the US subs.
The typhoon was far to large, though she carried a huge payload, it doesnt do any good sitting on the bottom of the ocean. The Alpha class was there fastest and probably the deepest diving but she still couldnt out run a MK 54.

Our propulsion systems are quiter, our sonar is better, and our counter measures much more effective. Realiabilty is also a major factor, the soviet war doctrine relied on massive saturation do to the poor quality of there weapons. Shoot enough and your bound to have some sort of success.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Also what makes a good sub is the crew and last time I checked we had the ruskies beat on that plus their numbers have gone down from 120(soviet era) to les then 40(present era)

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwars50
An interesting note is that the inital research showing that radar could be deflected (and the source of the calculations used in both the F-117 and B-2) is a russian scientific paper (from the 60's I think

A russian mathematician Pyotr Ufimtsev wrote the paper your talking about. The Russians showed little interest In the paper and never even had it classified. It contained a way for calculating radar cross section across a large surface. A guy that work in Lockheed Martin (Skunk Works)
noticed the paper and used it to develop a computer program called Echo1

E_T

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Jack Northrop also had a few flying wing designs.

Here good page about his flying wing designs.
www.pilotfriend.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   
The paper or formula did not show or tell you how to make a plane invisible or less detectable but like someone said a way to calculate it so it helped with the testing not with the actual build of the aircraft

[edit on 6-7-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Itz very, very stealthy ain't it? well lets look at my favorite fly swatter pic. Showing in the serbian museum.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   
What the hell is that a jet engine? Looks beat up and stuff must be a war relic looks kool but they could have cleaned it up a little.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 01:49 AM
link   
No one ever claimed the F-117A was total invisible to radar just that it is much harder to see on radar. Considering there record over such well defended places like bagdad during the first gulf war is proof of how good they are though. Granted it will never have a record like the SR-71 it was shot at thousands of times and they never hit once and russia was taking most of the shots at it and there missiles were nothing to scoff at. But those are pretty big shoes for any plane to fill.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join