It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans block efforts in ending 'Don't ask don't tell'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Republicans have managed to filibuster the military spending bill which included ending Don't ask don't tell. Every single Republican voted against it, it just goes to show where the priorities lie for he GOP:

An effort to repeal the military’s “don’t ask don’t tell” policy, which bans openly gay men and women from serving in the armed forces, went down to defeat Tuesday afternoon, with Senate Democrats and Republicans unable to move past a procedural-vote impasse.

In the face of a promised filibuster by Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), Democrats could not convince a single GOP senator to cross over and provide the 60th vote needed to begin debate on a defense spending bill that included the repeal measure. The vote to open debate failed, 56-43, as Sens. Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.) and Mark Pryor (D-Ark.) joined Republicans to block the bill from moving forward.

Read more: www.politico.com...

So what was the reasoning for the GOP behind blocking the bill? Well I am yet to find a straight explanation from Republican senators although i'd bet deep down for many of these folks it has to do with 'morals' and gays being 'sexually predatory' or something of that nature. Iv gathered afew reasons given by conservatives as to why the bill was blocked. Lets see now;

'Most gays prefer to keep the system in place anyway because its useful to get out of duties'

'Democrats are only pandering to homosexual activists'

'They should not have passed the defense bill with the ammendment to end DODT, it could have been passed with 51 votes if it was a bill on its own'?

'Gays will only distract our soldiers'

'Reid should have allowed debate'

So none of these provide explanation as to why this rule should remain so in the military? What other excuses are there?? The US sits well on level with the likes of China, Venezuela, Iran, Pakistan and North Korea over this policy. The rest of the western world aside from Turkey have already allowed gays and lesbians to serve openly, so why on earth are we holding back? For all the talk of 'communism' and 'freedom' the GOP and the rightwing alike seem to have no issue following right in line with the likes of Iran over treating its citizens. This is the 110th or so filibuster from the GOP themselves in the last few years mind you, it appears its all they are good for. This is not productive, our military has already suffered countless times from this silly pointless law because certain patriotic americans cannot serve for who they are. I see absolutely no reason for this repeal being blocked other that to pander to the 'moral' right.

50 years on, or shall I say 150 years on? Half the nation is still stubbornly living in the dark ages. I have confidence that sooner or later this ban will be lifted and in time we will learn just as segregation and slavery before how idiotic it was. Neverthess less it still really frustrates me with every year gone by that we have this backward law in place for our military.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

I see you are a warmonger in favor of massive military spending and endless war for empire.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
This would have looked bad if I was in office. While I am vehemently opposed to any form of enforced inequality I am also vehemently opposed to a military budget larger than 0.5% of GNP. I would have to vote no on this bill.

But what happened to that old line the Republicans would use against Democrats who opposed the spending bill? Didn't it go something similar to this, 'Democrats just want our troops to die' or something like that?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Yes this is a disgusting day in America. It proves that we are taking steps back. There was a military man that was kicked out because his email was searched. John Mcain denied that ever happened to reporters today. The senator from Alabama was obviously homophobic in his speech. This is the first time congress has not approved the military defense bill was denied in 42(43?) years. This is clearly not what the American people what and it is absolutely repulsive.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

See the link for a review of what happened in congress today.

Even 64% of republicans are for getting rid of DADT!!

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

I see you are a warmonger in favor of massive military spending and endless war for empire.

And you assume the Republicans opposed this spending bill because of the billions it contained? Unfortunately the military industrial complex has a hold of this country along with the oil elites and the rest of the corporate hacks in DC. However for once there was an opportunity to get atleast something right, and the Republicans ditched it. If this was really solely about the spending, the Republicans could have brought up a seperate bill themselves to end DODT, but the did not, and they don't ever intend to.

Now, do you support ending Don't ask don't tell? Or are you just going to continue shifting from the core topic itself as the Republicans have?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
This would have looked bad if I was in office. While I am vehemently opposed to any form of enforced inequality I am also vehemently opposed to a military budget larger than 0.5% of GNP. I would have to vote no on this bill.

But what happened to that old line the Republicans would use against Democrats who opposed the spending bill? Didn't it go something similar to this, 'Democrats just want our troops to die' or something like that?

Well again there is this assumption the Republicans blocked the passing of this bill because of the amount it was, which was not the case. The core reason was because of the DODT ammendment, it was not about the billions contained within which Republicans were happy to support numerous times before.

I don't support our bloated military budget, infact I believe it should be cut, however this idea that the Republicans voted against this because of the amount of spending, pure BS.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Guess who is constantly guaranteeing they change the midterm voting history of America based upon their two letter responses to anything positive?

Go ahead, guess.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
Guess who is constantly guaranteeing they change the midterm voting history of America based upon their two letter responses to anything positive?

Go ahead, guess.

What does this have to do with don't ask don't tell? Do you support don't ask don't tell? Are you arguing that the Republicans blocked this for anything other that DODT? Do you support actions to remove DODT? Why are some members here being so deceptive over where they stand over the issue? Why derail from the core issue here? Are you afraid to make a stand?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
It would most likely be the same old story. Bullying. Bullying is already rife with Military units and this would then bring in new rules to stop jokes about gays, the use of playful insults between soldiers like "what a fag!" which is just a friendly joke. New rules would have to come in that would impact moral!

I must admit that Gays are high maintenance and would just want all rules and laws changed in their favor. And then there would be the fashion, with the gay men asking for frills and lavish hats instead of helmets (the ones soldiers wear on their heads) and straight cuffs.

The reasons could be many. I suggest have a regiment of just gay soldiers. Put them to the test against the "normal" soldiers. Having an only gay regiment might have it own benefits. Less testosterone mean less aggression. So diplomacy may be their specialty.

I think we should try to accommodate them somewhere. Everyone has a use and should not be discounted. IN the UK military they have the Welsh Fusiliers and the Scots Guards, so my point is proven. Each group can be used to their strengths.

Humor is used in portions of my post for those who are none to observant!!!!!!!!

edit on 033030p://f31Wednesday by L1U2C3I4F5E6R because: spelling

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
So what was the reasoning for the GOP behind blocking the bill?

One of the three amendments on this bill is the DREAM Act, which allows a path to citizenship for immigrants that serve in the military or go to college here. Republicans appear to have opposed only this portion of the bill, not necessarily the repeal of DADT...however, there are some that did specifically oppose that.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

I think everyone with a brainstem could tell you that. The Republicans obviously didn't vote against this bill because the spending, I'm surprised they didn't complain because it wasn't 1 trillion dollars. They filibustered it because they are Christian zealots who wish to push their belief in moral superiority and religious intolerance on all of us.

WAKE UP CALL, we are not all Christian Fundamentalists who support telling our fellow Americans that they are inferior to us simply because they were born with a sexual attraction to their same sex. That is just disgusting, inhumane and primitive.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by L1U2C3I4F5E6R
It would most likely be the same old story. Bullying. Bullying is already rife with Military units

And you'd assume those gays are not aware of that? Do also assume that gays are not discrimminated against outside of the military? Who are you to say whats good for another person? Some people prefer to live as who they are, not hide behind a closet. There are patrioitic american men and women serving in the army, no reason why they should be forced to keep shut.

I must admit that Gays are high maintenance and would just want all rules and laws changed in their favor. And then there would be the fashion, with the gay men asking for frills and lavish hats

Are you serious? I am just going to leave this one for people to read, really.

Everyone has a use and should not be discounted. IN the UK military they have the Welsh Fusiliers and the Scots Guards, so my point is proven. Each group can be used to their strengths.

Gays serve openly in all western nations but Turkey and I am yet to see any significant changes in their armies.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234
One of the three amendments on this bill is the DREAM Act,

McCain was among the ones that co sponsored the DREAM act in 2007, along with many other Republicans and Democrats:

Senator McCain actually co-sponsored the idea in 2007, but now says it allows unfair amnesty.

www.kvoa.com...

Heres the bill:
www.govtrack.us...
It was co sponsored by Republican Chuck Hagel, Republican Richard Lugar, introducted by Democrat Richard Durbin.

So no, I disagree that this was at the core about the Dream act.

edit on 22-9-2010 by Southern Guardian because: Link fix.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Well then, being so close to elections they probably want to appeal to their xenophobic, Christian base. No on alleged amnesty, as McCain called it, and no on gays in the military...something they've been opposing for quite some time now.

Honestly, for whatever stupid reason they have, it doesn't suprise me. It's the senate, so a good portion of them aren't up for election this year but want to keep the base fired up for their freinds in the house.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Dream Act like links said.

Why is it Congress always has to sneak in amendments to bills, that have NOTHING to do with component they are passing?

See the defense budget bill? Another trick by Congress to sneak in legislation that has nothing to do with military spending.

Why does the Congress always do this?

Also, just so everyone knows, here is a little clip from a former president.

Whole lotta revisionist history going on, so make sure you look up the REAL history.

Check it, always good for a laugh when those in government get on television and revise history.

Clinton on DADT-Clinton Regrets Don’t Ask Don’t Tell; Blames Congress and Colin Powell

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Hmmmmmm, the Democrats passed healthcare without Republican support........but couldn't pass this? Yup, lay it all at the Republicans feet, NOT! This didn't pass for a number of reasons, but keep on with the Republicans are to blame.......wow, and we are supposed to deny ignorance.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Hmmmmmm, the Democrats passed healthcare without Republican support........but couldn't pass this? Yup, lay it all at the Republicans feet, NOT! This didn't pass for a number of reasons, but keep on with the Republicans are to blame.......wow, and we are supposed to deny ignorance.

One thing I will contribute,,,y'all sure get your knickers in a knot over the most trivial of affairs, Really, gays in the military? So what?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Another fine example of how the Republicrats are a two-in-one entity. Back in 1993 the Democrat side was all for this to be enacted. I know because I was active duty during the brouhaha over it. Now the Democrats are fighting to repeal it, while the Republican side fights to keep it in effect. And of course the 'only two parties' people are actually buying into it. Good show!

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

You are still in here arguing for more dead Afghani babies?

I personally think neo-cons that want endless war, like yourself, have issues.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Bill Clinton's 'don't ask don't tell' is absurd. So is the ban on homosexuals in the military. It's ridiculous. Homosexuals have been fighting for this country before it was even declared a soverign nation. The military doesn't allow any public show of affection - gay or straight - so to ban homosexuals is silly. No one is allowed to 'flame up' in front of anyone else anyways. Being gay doesn't mean you can't shoot an M16 or throw a grenade with the rest of the soldiers. UGH.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join