It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: "Mexicans" Were Here "Long Before America Was Even An Idea"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The Spaniards, the ancestors of the Mexicans, came to the New World in pursuit of gold, and enslaved the Natives. The founders of the U.S. came here in search of freedom, and they traded with the natives.

Huge difference.

Any moderate who hears these ignorant comments by Obama, will be immediately turned off, because there comments are pure liberal racism, bought by people who are supposed to be educated.

The Mexican attitude towards the U.S. is easily summed up at this. What is yours is ours, what is ours is ours.

People from the U.S. are only welcomed in Mexico if they bring money. Mexico's laws against immigration are far more strict. We aren't allowed to go down to Mexico and work, even if we are starting our own business, why should we allow them to come up to the U.S. and work, especially in times of economic hardship as these.

Mexicans did not live here before the U.S. was a dream, unless you want to call Cortez a Mexican.

In the U.S., the settlers traded with the Native Nations, and a great many natives made quite a profit in their trades. A great many people in the U.S. have mixed blood native blood.

In Mexico, the Spaniards enslaved the Natives, and worked work most of them to death.

If a Spaniard wanted a Native women, he took her and had his way with her, so yes, there is a lot of mixed blood, but the more Native American blood you have, the further down the ladder in the status quo you are, and the status quo is still heavily fixed.

The people who defend these remarks by Obama are completely ignorant of history.

Almost makes me want to support the tea party.

While mainstream media will hide this ignorant comment by Obama, you can bet that word will get out, and it will cost the democrats dearly come November.

Now I am starting to believe that Obama will be a one term president.

And why did Obama leave out the phrase, "Endowed by our creator" when quoting the declaration of Independence? The guy is supposed to be a church going Christian.

This is a dark hour for Obama. He neds to reconsider who voted him into office, and choose whether he is going to support the wishes of the people, or pursue his own personal agenda.

Most Americans are very much against amnesty for illegals. Time to serve the will of the people.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ohsnaptruth

That is not true. Mexicans are a mixture of Spanish, Native American, African, Portugeuse, and Italian lineage.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Why anyone at this point in his presidency would think that anything he does is of any relevency whatsoever is beyond me. I don't deny he's an entertaining showman but taking into account, at this time in history, the dire situation America is in, well, we needed a hero, but all we got was Barack Obama.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

edit on 9/22/2010 by mikelee because: Deleted

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by russ212

Primarily Mexicans are the descendants of the brutal Spanish conquistadors.

The more pure their blood, the higher up the status quo in Mexico they remain.

Mexico is a very corrupt nation with a long history of brutality.

But according to the liberal elites, who have too much control of the democratic party, they become native Americans when they cross the U.S. border.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I'm Hispanic and have relatives born in Mexico and living here. I believe the comments he is saying are irrelevant to the immigration issues. I think where he went wrong was isolating the Hispanic/Mexican community from the rest of the immigrant population of different cultures and ethnicity.

Peace!

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

deleted

edit on 22-9-2010 by poet1b because: responding to deleted post

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirTFiedSkeptic

Originally posted by centurion1211
Is Obama trying to justify amnesty by saying things like this?

BTW, what he said is factually incorrect. What is now called Mexico was called New Spain before the Mexicans gained independence almost 50 years after the U.S. did.

source

Obama said:

"Long before America was even an idea, this land of plenty was home to many peoples. The British and French, the Dutch and Spanish, to Mexicans, to countless Indian tribes. We all shared the same land," President Obama told the Congressional Hispanic Caucus.

Mexico declared its independence on September 16, 1810. It was recognized on September 27, 1821.

The United States of America declared its independence in 1776.

Of course, obama also thinks there are 57 states in the U.S.

edit on 9/21/2010 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

Technically, since Mexico City has been in existence, with the same name, since long before America was dreamed of, and since many Spaniards born in the New World called the area Mexico and themselves Mexicans, the O man is technically correct. That's the best kind, according to beurocrats. I live in New Mexico, which was once New Spain, and have studied the history, muchas gracias.

Don Juan de Oñate Salazar (1552–1626) was the first governor of the province of New Mexico, a part of New Spain. Even back in 1600, it was called 'New Mexico', which implies there is an 'Old Mexico'. And there is. It is the area south of New Mexico, which was called 'Mexico' by the Spanish. This is a ridiculous thread. The point is Hispanics have been here for a very long time.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Sorry, the left (including you?) crucified Bush any time he slipped up, so obama gets no pass for "semantics", or any other mistake.

This "mistake" has pandering for hispanic votes written all over it.

Fine by me....crucify Obama then, it's never stopped you before. I'm merely pointing out that the Mexican people thought of themselves as uniquely Mexican before they became an official nation, just as Americans did.

As a fellow Texan, how do you figure this to be true? I'd go with you on if they claimed Aztec, Mayan, ect.. Mexican? Dunno.

You have to be able to see he is looking for the *SNIP* vote. They are too stupid and desparate to vote anything else. Most CITIZENS with Mexican blood I know cant stand Obama.

Nero...I mean Obama, is going to do what Bush did and let the problems in Mexico and on the border fester until they are all the way up into kansas with gun fights and grenade throwing contests!

All I know is if I'm somewhere and lead starts flying, I'm finding the nearest cop and covering his six! I'll have "my lead" to contribute as well.

MOD-NOTE: Offensive material removed

edit on 22-9-2010 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SirTFiedSkeptic

All you have proven is the Mexicans have been in Mexico for a very long time, and Mexico is NOT the land of opportunity.

Mexicans only wanted to come to the U.S. after the founders of the U.S. turned it into the land of opportunity.

It is trying to give credit to people who do not deserve the credit.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Once again, Obama will get bashed for simply making a statement of historical fact. Spanish colonization of the Americas began in 1492, over 100 years before the first British colony was set up at Jamestown in 1607. (There were some failed attempts before that.) The Spanish conquest of Mexico began in 1519.

So yes, they were the first European colonizers, and had established themselves here long before the US was created in 1776. Most of the western US was controlled by France, Spain and then Mexico before the US expanded in that direction, buying the Louisiana Territory from Napoleon in 1803 and then annexing the northern half of Mexico in 1848.

This information is available in any encyclopedia, so I'm not sure why it's a big deal.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Somehow, I don't think that all the conservative Republicans posting on threads like these ever voted for Obama--or ever would--although they often make it sound like they are now "disappointed" supporters of his.

I'm am not a big supporter of either major party in the US since I think they are both controlled by the rich and big business interests, by people like Karl Rove an his happy troup of billionaires. Both of them manipulate the voters with all kinds on silliness in every election, like the Republicans always using race and religion on lower class, low information white voters, but none of it is real.

In the end, they both serve corporate interests and just throw a bone to the masses once in a while.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Sorry, the left (including you?) crucified Bush any time he slipped up, so obama gets no pass for "semantics", or any other mistake.

Yep, some did. And you know what? It was ridiculous and childish when they did it.
You had a chance to be better than that, but took the childish route. Way to go!

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
Should we not refer to indigenous people of the Untied States pre-columbus as "Native Americans"...or would it be innacurate to call them that because the new world wasn't called "America" before Columbus?

''America'' is what we refer to as the continent of America.

There are no ''indigenous people'' to America. There are Siberian immigrants, and more latterly European immigrants, African immigrants and Asian immigrants.

There are, however, 900 million Native Americans, of which 300 million live in the USA.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

You missed my point.

Pres Obama said...
"Long before America was even an idea, this land of plenty was home to many peoples. The British and French, the Dutch and Spanish, to Mexicans,

The OP took issue .....
BTW, what he said is factually incorrect. What is now called Mexico was called New Spain before the Mexicans gained independence almost 50 years after the U.S. did.

My argument is that demanding that "Mexicans" be called something else because their government was called "New Spain", not Mexico at the time...is analgous to saying that "Native Americans" is not an accurate term for those that were here prior to Europeans designating the continent "America".

It seem a desperate reach.

edit on 22-9-2010 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by witness63

Once again, Obama is stating a complete distortion of history, in a racist attempt to give credit where none is due.

Mexico may have been conquered by the Spanish before the U.S. became a nation, but Mexico has never been the land of opportunity.

Mexicans did not found the U.S., and have only contributed to its success negligibly.

You are claiming that Obama said something correct, which he did not.

And yes, the people of the U.S. have the right to be offended by this huge distortion of history, and they are correct in seeing how this is an affront to the accomplishments of the people who made the U.S. a great nation.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

However, whether Spain called it a colony or not, the people who we currently call Mexicans run along a continuum of different Native American tribes mixed with European (mostly Spanish, but also in some instances French and Eastern European blood). Though, the "Mexicans" in the North (along the border with the US) are predominantly Spanish-speaking - as well as bilingual - native Amerindians from those regions, such as the Tohono, Yaqui, and others. The majority of Mexicans can claim lineage from the Uto-Aztecan family of cultures, which include tribes (as the name makes obvious) from the Ute to the Aztecs. In the south, Mexicans are also highly Mayan in ancestry.

I will agree that "Mexicans were here first" is a moot point, because the people, mostly, who lived under New Spain's rule were Amerindians of diverse tribal ethnicities. That does not mean that people of Spanish ethnicity were not also present when the west was transferred from Mexico to the US. That just means that the majority of those people who lived in New Spain / Northern Mexico were indigenous people that had not lived long enough under any European colonial power to see either of the two nations as their own.

The main point is people are people, why are we so hung up on where certain ones belong and certain others don't. I mean, from a Tohono O'odham perspective, all Americans of European background in the area known formerly as the Gadsden Purchase do not "belong" there. But, then again, you don't see the Tohono taking up arms, denying water (hahaha - get the sarcasm? I'll explain if you don't), or trying to build a border fence.

EDIT: ***Also, one should note that the name of the country is derived from the Mexica (Meh-SHEE-kah) who are technically the Aztecs and other Nahuatl speaking peoples of the central valley of Mexico. Due to Linguistic similarities with tribes in the north of Mexico, the US southwest all the way up to Utah, it becomes clear that technically, yes, the Mexicans (as a mixed exo- and endonym) were indeed there first (unless the Clovis cultures want to take a trip in a time-machine and tell us something about who was there even before them!).

ONE MORE NOTE: Tucson, Arizona is the oldest, continuously inhabited settlement (as far as can be proven) in the contiguous US.

edit on 22-9-2010 by Sphota because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoArmsJames

Yep, some did. And you know what? It was ridiculous and childish when they did it.
You had a chance to be better than that, but took the childish route. Way to go!

Sorry, but there is a HUGE difference in what I post the vs. methodology liberals used against Bush and are still using today against so-called tea party candidates. I use research to find facts to go after the principals - such as obama - themselves. I publicize actual mistakes these people have made when others would try to sweep them under the rug. I DO NOT - repeat DO NOT - go after their children, etc.. I DO NOT call them monkeys, etc. I DO NOT make things up. And I DO NOT use name calling.

So, in (not only) those ways, I am far better than what liberals have done and are still doing. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to point that out.

edit on 9/22/2010 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Holy Jesus on a pogo stick!! I don't think I have seen soo much ill informed vitriol and sputum in a long time. and it always seems to be about the immigration question!!

OK lets look at some facts and ask a few simple questions.

1, Mexicans were here before the US? - OK take this in context as it is means. i.e. that the areas of the USA with high Mexican (and other) populations, i.e Texas California, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada etc Where previously land held and owned by Mexico. Not New Spain as was post independence. So is Obama correct in what he says?? Yes! as you have to take what it meant as the "USA" as it is meant currently, which is a geographical location, rather than a point in time for ratification of constitutional government. It's just a pity that most it seems here have little capacity to understand what is simple use of language.

2, Most Mexicans consider themselves descendant of the Aztec Empire and Not Spain, The Mayan Empire as is constantly mooted here inhabited the Yucatan Peninsula of Quintana Roo, which did not join the United States of Mexico until the 20th Century. But that's OK, as most Mexican culture you guys have experienced is that plastic fantastic purpose built hole that is Gringolandia i.e. Cancun!! Try calling a Mexican a Spaniard next time you meet one, you'll get you teeth knocked out!!

3, Mexican Immigration is harsher than the USA Immigration Law. We can;t do this we can;t do that etc.
Well neither can the Mexicans, it is just that the USA does not have the resolve to enforce it's border or deport illegals when found. But listen to this. Did you know that you can enter Mexico as a Tourist and apply for status once in country (this might explain why Mexicans keep doing this in the USA) Anyway, yes you can apply for status, yes you can work, yes you can invest.

www.inm.gob.mx

4, Why do Mexicans have a hostile attitude to the USA. Hmmm lets really sit back and think about that for a moment
i, They lost half their land mass to you, in what was discovered to be an instigated reuse de guerre, and intentionally denied and some would say hustled them out of the best natural harbor on the west coast (San Diego)
ii, the US corporate machine has consistently battered and broke local traders with massive influxes of cheap consumer goods i.e. Wallmart, Sams, Radio Shack.Mc Donalds etc etc etc etc etc.
iii, mexican Rucks are not allowed in the US and only limited Mexican airlines allowed in the US on certain routes because they are deemed unsafe, despite have Authority Approvals (in the case of airlines) from Europe, who's safety standards make the USA look like Africa.
iv, NAFTA serves the interests of the American Elites.
v, The problems with the Narco's and Zeta, is known to be Fuelled by the CIA, and American Drug demand. And so Mexico is caught in the Middle as a trade route and last bastion on the Road from Central and South American Drug Farms
vi, at the moment the Mexicans are really pissed off about HAARP (but that is another story)
vii, Lastly for this list certainly not comprehensively or least. The overbearing, holier than thou, more superior than thou Attitude that is the main American Export to Mexico. The attitude that the place would collapse if you did not bring your dollars on holiday with you. The feeling that every time an American open their mouths the words that come out will be supercilious and pompous. with the aim that Every Mexican is lower than them, can be bought sold and impressed with you comparative "wealth". The constant belief that the entire place is a dust bowl full of horse riding banditos, train robbers, whore, drug smugglers, and pregnant cheap woman lining up from Chihuahua to Chiapas, just praying they can drop their babies on US Soil. the feeling they have that you use them as cheap slave labour, and laugh about it, then bitch when it doesn;t go your way!! To arrive in their country and demand to use USD, and refuse to use local money.

That's why. All they want is to be treated with the same respect as they are forced to show you're fat arses as they are serving you your margaritas for 100 pesos a day. or cleaning your houses, or pumping your gas. get out the car and do it yourself!

Ohhhh i forgot number 8

So Obama is pandering to the Latino vote, but then someone stated here that those people who are illegal shouldn't be pandered to as they shouldn't be there. Well draft of reality for you. It was my impression that Illegal people, and people on a visa, CANNOT VOTE. Only American Citizens can vote, and as you are soo proud of saying it does not matter where you are from and AMERICAN is an AMERICAN. so who is he really pandering to.... Americans.

Please drop the political rhetoric and stupid insidious comments. As it only serves to show that you in fact are poorly educated on the matter, least of all capable of comprehending the issues at hand.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
bullet points

- we came we traded and we conquered, it's ours now.

- we don't want it to resemble current Mexico.

Sorry if you think the force of mankind that has shaped all of history through conquest and expansion should stop with the Native Americans, they killed other tribes well before we ever got here - we just have bigger weapons and more enemy's.

All current policy on this issue needs to revolve around the fact we are here and dont want to give it up to 3rd world invaders, border wars is aptly named.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join