It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pretty Ridiculous

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I'm posting this in the Televisions section because it pertains to my remarks...

I was on here the day before yesterday and a poster started a thread on the show "The Event"... about 5 people replied... and then it was CLOSED...

Okay... this is getting a bit silly... I can understand the forum trying to keep debates, breaking news, ect. in one thread... but a TV SHOW? AND in Below section? Come on..... so what if there are many threads on this show, let the posters decide which thread they'd like to post in....

Then I come on here today and see there are MANY threads with this particular show.... so was this one poster singled out? This is getting ridiculous... how many people are gonna want to stay on this site?

What came to mind was the Stanford Prison Experiment... if you don't know about it... look it up.

I say open this thread again because it was not right to shut it down!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 21-9-2010 by OceanStone because: spelling

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The opening post was solely about the tv show. If you want to create a thread about a particular angle of the show (and not the show in general), then I'm sure it would be perfectly fine to keep open. Nobody was "singled out", there were numerous threads, and numerous ones were closed, redirecting to the current thread.

It has nothing to do with BTS or Off Topic, it's the same exact story (i.e. here's a new show, here's what it's about, let's talk about it).

If you come at it with a different angle in the Original Post, then by all means, I'm sure it will stay.

BTW, I was one of the first to have a thread on this show (August 3rd), but I'm not about to close out a thread with 8 pages of replies just because mine was "first"...

edit on 21-9-2010 by Gazrok because: added info

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Let me first say, this was not MY thread.

And I do understand what you said, but if this poster (whom I do not know) doesn't understand this "different angle" rule or what not, (which by the way I didn't understand and probably most newer members don't know about), then it looks like the threads are favored or policed in some absurd way and then makes people nervous and it discourages them from getting involved.

I do understand that the forum would like new members to read all the rules and so forth but to be honest most new members are so excited to be part of a neat site they want to jump right in... and why not? Isn't this a place that should encourage a sense of community within your forum?

Anyway, I do appreciate your explanation and I also hope that this explanation was given to the poster.

edit on 21-9-2010 by OceanStone because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-9-2010 by OceanStone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Well, it's (the explanation) here for all to see. I only closed one of the many threads. Another mod closed the other, so not sure what was communicated to the poster, other than in the closing post of the thread. Thank you for your understanding.

The only way they are "favored" is in that when there are multiple threads on the same exact topic on the same page, and from the same angle, we'll keep open the one that was 1) first and/or 2) has the most responses/discussion. This isn't to be unfair to the other posters, but to make it easier for all to see the discussion in one place.

In this case, mine was actually first, but the other was up to 8 pages at the time, so made sense for it to be the logical one to keep open. (criteria 2 has more weight than criteria 1).

edit on 22-9-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

top topics

join