It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A miracle! Science claims it has figured out how sea was parted for Israelites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

A miracle! Science claims it has figured out how sea was parted for Israelites

www.guardian.co.uk

It was a miracle of the ages, the parting of the Red Sea for the Israelites. Now modern science is claiming a feat that if true is almost as miraculous – figuring out how Moses may have done it and where.

Scientists and others have tried for decades to recreate the mystery of the Israelites' escape from the advancing cavalry of the Pharaohs. Fifty years ago Cecil B De Mille deployed his own special effects wizardry to create a cinematic version in the Ten Commandments.

Now researchers at the National Centre for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) and the University of Colorado at Boulder (CU)
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This is very interesting. Now they are saying that a strong enough wind could of drove back the water and create a land bridge for the israelites to cross.

A true miracle if I do say so myself. Or pure sheer dumb luck on their part. Though how they would cross the flats in near hurricane force winds is beyond me. After a certain mph you'd be knocked on your behind.

Either way it's an interesting article.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Or maybe it never happened and a bunch of scientists wasted time trying to prove something that is impossible to prove.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I hate when non-scientists write science articles, they ALWAYS misrepresent the findings in the article headline.
They didn't figure out anything, that's why the articles says "other theories include..."

Secondly why are scientists trying to recreate something that happened in a book of fiction as if it really happened?

Was moses an advanced weather forecaster? He knew exactly when the seas would split?

Bah!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I've always looked at the bible as allegorical. A symbolical expression of things that happened in the past.
It's totally possible that something similar to what actually happened to the Israelites. And that's how it was explained.

For all we know it could of been aliens parting the water.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I see embellishment as the most likely answer to this 'miracle'.

IRM

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
You'd think these guys would be paid to do things other than prove stories in the bible.

Is this a Falwell science center?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I wonder if this people ever considered the Idea that the Sea never parted and that the whole story was just a metaphor, beside been just that, a story.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

At the focused pressures needed to part a narrow road through a sea, they would have had more trouble than being knocked on their arses. Their skin and flesh would have been ripped off their bones.

It would be like standing directly behind a jet engine at full throttle...not a comfortable thing to do i'd imagine.

Is it me or are the people in the sciences getting dumber as the decades roll by?

It's far more feasible that assuming it's not just another out and out biblical lie, that the land rose, rather than the sea parting.

Under seabed methane pockets, will do this. Sea beds rise and fall quite often due to trapped bubbles of gases or magmas.

Another theory would be there was actually no or very little water at the time. Perhaps there was a drought (a seven year drought?) that practically dried the sea to a shallow pond. Maybe the Hebrews scouted out a firm strip on which to cross, while an entire army following would naturally want to cross in numbers, spread out along the bank, rather than in single file.

The almost dry seabed would probably have been filled with perilous pockets of quicksand ( perilous pockets of quicksand Batman!) and sinkholes that gave rise to the myth of the sea swallowing up the army.

Who knows, maybe the whole book is a contrived pack of lies, written by unhinged control freaks, lusting for power over folks.

edit on 21/9/2010 by spikey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Some other theories include:

a earthquake popped up a land bridge, giving them time to cross before rapid erosion destroyed the bridge

a meteor crash or earthquake created a tsunami, making the water disappear due to recession long enough for the crossing

they were confused about where they were and were simply skirting shorelines verses crossing anything (the guy got lost in the desert for 40 years...its not impossible to believe he may have not known it was the edge of the sea verses the middle of the thing)

Good luck with the understanding of the miracle.

there is a slight chance that the story is a bit exaggerated of course...or a metaphore..like the mailman will deliver mail in any weather...coming from a person living in the hurricane capital of the world, I can safely put that myth to rest.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Or they crossed the sea of REEDS.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Just forget about the Red Sea. Their conclusion relocates the scene of the Israelites escape to the Nile delta.

So they worked out how water may be parted on a coastal lagoon in Northern Egypt ..... not the Red Sea.

He ruled out the Red Sea as a location because it runs from north to south which does not readily fit the description in Exodus of an east wind sweeping the waters to one side.

source

edit on 21-9-2010 by UmbraSumus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Or consider for a second that God Almighty did indeed part the sea so that His chosen people could escape the Pharoh.
Our God is an Awesome God!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
lol, yeah let's speculate heavily about a fairytale from thousands of years ago and see how we can make it true. The more likely explanation is that the bible is made up.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barcs
lol, yeah let's speculate heavily about a fairytale from thousands of years ago and see how we can make it true. The more likely explanation is that the bible is made up.

To each his own, I choose to believe.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
i too believe moses led them through a section of sea of reeds at low tide when pharoahs army followed the tide was returning and they got caught in in.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Really? Moses? Sea parting? Good gawd!

First off I am not a religious person at all. Never was. Never will be for it almost contradicts spirituality.
Having said that, why is it they've taken religion out of the schools and separated church from state yet they're allowing religion into science?

What's next...?....finding it possible for Adam to morph into a Human from sand?

I wish science would figure out how to live together freely............ and in peace!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Moses knew about the tide coming in and it would cause people to be trapped against the cliffs. No real miracle, but still a great book. One would think scientists would know about low and high tide and not waste time with a wind theory. Wind might have helped keep the tide low and Moses could have known that.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The bit in the mediterranen broke through,displacing the water all around.
Thats what I thought happened.

This new idea claims a 63 mph wind did the job...Hmmm not sure I buy it,need to read more.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Who pays these "scientists" to waste time like this?

Can I get a grant to help figure out how random stuff from mythological stories could have actually happened?

I could make a career out of it.

top topics

join