It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Rules Out Meeting with Japanese Leaders at UN

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

China Rules Out Meeting with Japanese Leaders at UN

www.voanews.com

Jiang repeats Beijing's calls for the immediate release of the captain. She dismissed arguments that Japan is following its judicial procedures and says Tokyo will suffer tougher measures for not releasing him..

Japanese officials detained the captain and his crew three weeks ago after his ship collided with two Japanese patrol boats. The collision took place in Japanese waters near uninhabited islands that Tokyo and Beijing both claim.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
China and Japan Escalate Standoff Over Fishing Captain
China halts ministerial-level exchanges with Japan

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It seems the rhetoric is picking up steam. [Pun intended] over the fishing boat fiasco. Apparently China who doesn't like having their legal system critiqued by outsiders [which they see as outside interference] has criticized the Japanese for following their own internal legal procedures.

Also Japanese officials warned Beijing against unwarranted "Nationalism"

Tokyo warned Beijing not to allow, what it describes as, extreme nationalism to be stirred up in both countries.

Emotions over the issue are high in China where anger over Japan's World War II occupation runs deep. It has prompted small anti-Japan demonstrations in some Chinese cities.

From reading the replies on threads I posted earlier I got the feeling that many here at ATS Fear Japans recent military expansion. Seeing it as a possible threat to the region. However, few of those concerned members mentioned that China has been on a blue water navy building spree.

Stay tuned my friends.

www.voanews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 21-9-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
So the captain ramed the patrol boats or refused to stop?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I think this has less to do with what happened back in WWII and more to do with what's happening today in the South China Sea...
This comes on the heels of another news story
China Tells U.S. to Stay Out of Dispute Over South China Sea's Sovereignty

Portions of the South China Sea are claimed by Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei and Indonesia. China claims almost the entire sea, and Chinese maps show a dotted line swooping southward hundreds of miles from the Chinese island province of Hainan to form a claim U.S. officials call the ”cow’s tongue.”

seems China has been moving war ships into the area to better stake their claim... Hillary is all in a huff about it too

Link to story

edit on 21-9-2010 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I Dunno it sounds a bit fabricated to me

Japan counsels against 'extreme nationalism' in row with China

"Improving relations between the two countries is in their mutual interest. It is crucial for both to exercise maximum restraint and avoid anything which may escalate tensions."

Nationalist messages flooded internet forums. On one popular portal, Netease, a user from Ningxia, north-west China, wrote: "Our national humiliation can never be forgotten. As an ordinary common person, all I can do is be angry and boycott Japanese goods; if there is a war, as a reserve officer, I will not hesitate!" Others attacked the Chinese government for not taking a stronger line.

Aside from the anti-Japanese vitriol flooding online forums, protests in China have been low-key. A strong police presence ensured that demonstrations in Beijing on Saturday to mark the anniversary of the start of Japan's occupation in 1931 passed off peacefully.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

So there is also a timing element here.

China stomping around the area may end up being windfall for US.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I'm glad you brought that up I posted a video in one of the other threads I posted that seemed to be missed by many. I'll repost it here.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
china is like a spoiled little brat. they're acting like a drama queen and its annoying as hell. if they become a super power, you can expect them to cry about everything.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I haven't seen this "map with the dotted lines"
I'd love to see what China is claiming as their territorial waters?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
china is like a spoiled little brat. they're acting like a drama queen and its annoying as hell. if they become a super power, you can expect them to cry about everything.

Well I'm pretty sure many see the US in the same light.
But the US spoiled brat has carried a big stick. so....

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
'Just gotta sit back and wait for the US to get involved.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA

Need to do your homework buddy...
After two decades of massive military spending to modernize its armed forces, amounting to hundreds of billions of dollars, China increasingly has the ability to challenge the United States in its region...

China is a superpower!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I haven't seen this "map with the dotted lines"
I'd love to see what China is claiming as their territorial waters?

Ask and ye shall receve my son...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d68b38b991d2.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Can anyone say piggy. I see they keep clear of Vietnam.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d68b38b991d2.gif[/atsimg]

WTH?

Not even Beijing can be that delusional.
In this modern day and age with well establish maritime laws and internationally agreed to and accepted maritime guidelines they are going to stick to that? When was the last time China was a maritime power?

edit on 21-9-2010 by SLAYER69 because: for clarification

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Upon further reading on the subject, I now have a feeling why China does not want to discuss this issue at or near the UN.

Territorial waters

Territorial waters, or a territorial sea, as defined by the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea....

Exclusive economic zone
An exclusive economic zone extends from the outer limit of the territorial sea to a maximum of 200 nautical miles (370.4 km) from the territorial sea baseline, thus it includes the contiguous zone.[3] A coastal nation has control of all economic resources within its exclusive economic zone, including fishing, mining, oil exploration, and any pollution of those resources. However, it cannot prohibit passage or loitering above, on, or under the surface of the sea that is in compliance with the laws and regulations adopted by the coastal State in accordance with the provisions of the UN Convention, within that portion of its exclusive economic zone beyond its territorial sea. Before 1982, coastal nations arbitrarily extended their territorial waters in an effort to control activities which are now regulated by the exclusive economic zone, such as offshore oil exploration or fishing rights (see Cod Wars). Indeed, the exclusive economic zone is still popularly, though erroneously, called a coastal nation's territorial waters.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
When was the last time China was a maritime power?

There not right now but they are working on it...
why they want it,,, is they have a huge nation full of hungry folks and this part of the world holds some of the best fishing grounds on the planet!!!

They might not have the sea power to project outwards from their mainlands they do have other options...to that end there a news blip back in march I found quite worrisome
China Testing Ballistic Missile ‘Carrier-Killer’

edit on 21-9-2010 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I remember the flap when that came out. So they want to force their will on their neighbors so they can feed their overpopulated cities. I got it now. So they want to follow international guidelines when it serves their needs and ignore them when it is not in their best interests.

Hmmm now where have I heard that before?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Basically yes on all points...
but going back to your OP...
Obama meets with the Association of South East Asian neighbors on this very issue in three days time...
China doesn't need this flap with Japan at a time when they want to look like the poor trod upon people in the eyes of the international press... all bets are off next week when the ASOAN meetings are over...

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Here is another rather interesting perspective. I know many here will cry out about the Rise of Japanese imperialism etc etc etc.

But it isn't just Japan that China is now having territorial issues with...

China's maritime aggression should be wake-up call to Japan

The Sino-Japanese standoff over Japan's detention of a Chinese trawler captain who acted aggressively towards the Japanese coast guard in waters near the disputed Senkaku islands is part of a larger pattern of Chinese assertiveness towards its neighbors over the past few years. This pattern includes renewed Chinese claims to the Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh, Beijing's increasingly forceful claims to sovereignty over the South China Sea, China's effort to claim suzerainty over the Yellow Sea (where it sought to prevent recent U.S.-South Korean naval exercises), and a series of naval provocations directed at Japan.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join