It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Barring Food Makers from Advertising Products as GMO-Free

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
GMO can now stand for Government Mandated Organisms.

Out of curiosity, I checked out the Joe Miller guy up in Alaska to see what his points were. He's in favor of disbanding the department of Education, among other things, which got me thinking...maybe we would all be better off without mandated Western, contemporary, capitalist lifestyles. Maybe we would be better off getting our learning from the land and working the land and living off the land.

But then I snap to...the day the new Republican party has any platform that would tenuously support agrarian communism and/or agrarian libertarianism is the day Citizen's United becomes obsoleted because Corporations no longer exist.

I just googled Walmart and it's still there, so I guess that day hasn't come yet and we need not wish for such agrarian reforms any time soon. The only thing that will come from a disbanded dept. of Ed. is ignorant, urban poverty and privatized, specialized online degrees.

And then we can all have our soma from the FDA.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
This is the type of thread that really plays on my mind for some time after leaving the computer and this forum. It is a mixture of anger and sadness. Anger because so many people know that this is all driven by power and profits. The very basis for life itself is now a commodity and owned. Those that are in power do not serve the people that elect them. They have not for a long time. People STILL elect them. There is no coherent opposition. There is no plan of action against the powers that rule us.

Angry posts on forums serve only to make the individual feel better. It is almost like a release valve. I am sure the powers that be are happy with this. There is no plan of action. The tea party movement started as a legit grass roots movement. Ownership of this was soon taken by the PTB. There was no hope or justice for the Native Americans, why should the people of today be any different.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by elfulanozutan0
Originally posted by ghaleon12

However, being Organic doesn't mean that it is pesticide free. They do make Organic pesticide's such as Safer Soap, which I use. However it's not as potent as stuff like Azotral. I use Safer Soap for bug maintenance and Azotral when there is an extremely bad outbreak.

Interesting - in New Zealand organic growers are not able to use even completely natural products as a herbacide around food production. Is this safer soap a completely natural product? (I'm organically certified for 8 years now)

I've been fighting GMO's here for years, labelling in NZ allows for a small percentage of GMO's and not be labelled as a GMO. In effect most processed food has GM soya in it, so people are eating it without knowing.

I've managed to get the prime minister (past and present) to read my letters, main question I am asking is "what is the increase of attempted gene transfer rates of naturally occuring bacteria given the presence of a GMO." I've claimed that an increase in bacterial and viral diseases would logically follow this. Strongly mentioned an increased likelyhood of pandemics.

Suggest you fight this people

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Strawberries aren't organisms?.. thats some twisted logic they try to pull.

en.wikipedia.org...

It is not logic, a stawberry is an organism.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

My Favorite is, Fascist
Depopulation
Architects

On the topic of Monsanto evils: Where I grew up in Escambia County, Fl. they have a biotechnology plant. Mainly producing synthetic fibers for carpets. In the 60's they were releasing PCB's into Pensacola Bay, among many other toxins. This openly went on for 15 years. In 2008 they were sucessfully sued by some 50 residents with related cancers. However, the polluting simply went underground...Literally! Property values continue to drop because of huge underground toxic plumes. And this in some of the most beautiful, rolling hills, pine forrest, neighborhoods in the county.

By the way, Pesacola Bay empties into the Gulf of Mexico. And we all know what's happening there. Affected residents continue to bring up lawsuits that Monsanto (now Solutia / as if we'll forget :@@
calls merritless.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
So, what if I start up a food company, and name my product "GMO-Free".

This is as blatant as corporate pandering can get.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Peter Brake

"Safer Soap is made from naturally occurring plant oils and animal fats. It's used to kill aphids, mealybugs, spider mites and white flies and doesn't kill beneficial insects such as lady bugs and preying mantis." here's a link.

It's not a herbicide, it's a pesticide as that is my primary problem, I clear out the land and hand pull all unwanted weeds and plants, the vinca vine and bamboo is my primary problem on that matter but I don't use herbicide.

Another pesticide to use is Neem Oil, from the Neem Plant in India. It leaves a coating the dissolves about a month before the average harvest and not only kills pests but prevents them. It is also organic.

I completely agree with your stance on GMOs, here in the States is where it originated from and only a small amount of people fight it or even try to eat organically. The original genes of these plants are the genes that our genome developed with for thousands and thousands of years. Now, that genetically modify foods for profit so you can use HERBICIDE on them is the most outlandish thing I've heard. It's not a conspiracy people, it's a blatant fact that is straight in your face.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Tell me how this is not a violation of prop 65 right to know act? (For those of you not on the left coast all facilities that make or do practically anything are required to display a sign similar to the one being sold on the link below.)

www.globalindustrial.com... le_pr&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=HazMat-google_pr&infoParam.campaignId=T9F

Now if businesses are required to post these signs then why are the franken food manufacturers exempt? I think that we should put this one on the next ballot 'requiring' the food manufacturers to disclose any genetic engineered ingredients.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Why can't liberals actually be liberals and conservatives actually be conservatives? Where the heck is Obummer on this one? I would think that the good liberals that have seized power in DC would be there to save the day on issues like this, but I guess I'm wrong.

It looks like they are just hacks and water boys for their true corporate globalist masters. We need to throw the bums out, and when the new crop of leaders starts licking banksters boot, we need to throw them out too.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
From what I understand, a lot of "weeds" can actually be beneficial...like I think it was ragweed or nasturtium can keep aphids from your plants, just as an example. I'd have to find where I read this- but there is a lot of information about "companion plants" that can help significantly with pest problems. Even animal problems.

Here's one article- www.motherearthnews.com...

It would take a lot of balancing because obviously weeds can be "money thieves." I think though, it would be worth it to try. As soon as I get my land a bit more cleared to plant my gardens, I'm going to try it out.

And never forget the myriad uses for plain old vinegar (make it yourself!)!!

www.countryfarm-lifestyles.com...

I suppose someone should make a gardening section
Maybe there is one and I've not yet found it.

edit on 22-9-2010 by Zoodie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
This is more evidence of the conspiracy to poison the food supply.
Start growing your own food, do it this year. Start soon. Get a big planter, get some soil, throw in some tomato seeds and DO IT. The tomato you buy at the grocery store could be killing you. They want you to eat their unnatural food and they wont let you know what food is safe to eat so the only way to be sure is to grow your own food. You better do it in secret too because they are turning into real nazi's about people trying to be self sufficient. They want everyone to NEED the government, but we don't NEED them at all.

Make sure your getting organic seeds. We can create an underground network of natural seeds if we have to. A black market of agriculture. When an ignorant and cruel government creates a prohibition, the people will just do everything in secret. During alchohol prohibition people made fortunes running speak-easys where people could party and drink in secret. Imagine doing that with organic food. It seems like its gonna happen soon.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Personally I think that this Monsanto and GMO stuff is the biggest conspiracy out there. If anything with the global communication of these bright ATS individuals, this FACT should be fought. We have a community here that can protest this and influence it enough. It has to be done.

Think about it, how many people in the original 13 colonies wanted a revolution. Most of them were still loyal to the royal. A small group of people can make a difference no matter how controlling out governments are.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

you have to fight it people, cause if you lose they'll sure as chickens hatch from eggs bring it down under. This really makes my blood boil, I'm over corporgovernance telling me what I can and can't do regarding basic right's such as knowing what goes into my dam food.
It wasn't that long ago that NZ and Australia had 50% of the worlds organic land now thanks to corporgoverments like monsanto we have lost so much of that.
They can only get away with it if we let them, and to quote the fat man
we shall fight them on the beaches... yadda yadda yadda!
how long will it be before I get sued by monsanto because they found one of their weeds growing on my balcony garden?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Pentothal

There was no hope or justice for the Native Americans, why should the people of today be any different.

Wow, you got my attention with that line. You are right. The whole population of workers today is as impotent against the industrialists' assault on our lives as the Native American once was against the assault of European colonists.

The conquerers have become the conquered by a bigger enemy. Or maybe its the same PTB just now devouring the very people it exploited in earlier generations to do its dirty work.

edit on 9/23/2010 by wayno because: wierd format -- leaving it.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
It's in interesting topic but folks we cannot keep growing our population without making adjustments to our food to ensure it is available. Cows are injected with hormones to ensure bigger cows, bigger cows equals out to more meat, more meat equals lower prices. We are always concerned about over fishing and someone comes up with a genetically modified fish and people are horrifeid and opposed. Corn crops die as a result of insect and disease so our science community develops corn that is resistant to both...yes more money can be made however in it's purest form this does help the population and keep food costs down. I'm just saying that we cannot have it both ways...families pushing out as many children as they want yet relying on mother nature to provide for excess. I guess when you look at illegals in the country that also plays a small part in the consumption of goods but minimally. It's amazing that someone in another country has to walk for miles to get water and we can go down the road to our local hamburger chain and complain if it takes over five minutes in the drive thru to get a burger...we just don't know how good we have it.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
This is a small aside from this discussion but I'm curious as to what these "elites," you say, eat? If don't eat GMO injected foods, what do they eat?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
This is unbelievable to me, I am off to my favorite Organic GMO free Market in a few minutes and they advertise and promote that fact everyday, now is the FDA going after the retail stores next for advertising that they are GMO free.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
does this really surprise anyone?
the same people that sit on the board of the FDA are the same people that sell an produce the food
what else do you expect from these people?
its not about choice
its about the almighty dollar
they dont care about food safety
as long as they get rich
thanks for posting

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
How do people still argue against Free Market when there is so much govt. involvement in Free Market???

This is NOT free market!!!!

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

This is terrible and sets a very dangerous precedent. I am not sure how best to tackle this issue. It needs exposure. People need to be made aware...We can start a facebook page. Lable GMO foods!

Another thing to request: If they refuse to label products GMO free - then we have the right to see labels saying Genetically Modified on the products that are.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join