It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Barring Food Makers from Advertising Products as GMO-Free

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I have not read this entire thread, in the relation of how to word the labels,

FDA told the dairy industry that they can not label their produce as Hormone Free, therefor they now say that the produce comes from Cattle not treated with growth hormones, or something to that extent.

For Non GMO, and that Stawberry is produce, not an oganism, the alternative would be to say: From a non GMO source, or something of the like, then have that little meaningless disclaimer saying "no significant difference between yada yada yada... "

edit on 22-9-2010 by Scarcer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scarcer
For Non GMO, and that Stawberry is produce, not an oganism, the alternative would be to say: From a non GMO source, or something of the like, then have that little meaningless disclaimer saying "no significant difference between yada yada yada... "

well sometimes you do not really have to have a label
on foods to tell if it's a GMO product. Timing has a way
to publish the fact.

If you see fresh Strawberries on ur grocery shelves
and Strawberries are out of season, then you know
that's a big tip-off.

Peanuts can be done the same way. Some of these
products are only produced at certain times of the
year. When you see them for sale outside of those
seasons, be well aware. It isn't all natural.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I think the solution should be this:

Instead of labeling something of being GMO free or Organic, it should be the other way around. GMO should be labeled as GMO because Organic was the ORIGINAL genes that naturally occur in the species.

Of course this would never happen by the FDA due to Monsanto's heavy influence. One out of hundreds examples is Michael Taylor, the Obama appointed "Food Czar," use to be a Vice President of Monsanto. Of course, it would never happen in Congress due to the oblivious "one dollar one vote" policy them and the lobbyists operate on.

However, this could be achieved on the state level to fight this, by 1 of the 24 states that has the Initiative System. Here in California, 5% of the number of votes cast in the most recent election for governor is required in order to place a proposition on the ballot during voting season for voter approval.

The best way to fight this is grassroots people, nothing can be done on the federal level, anything these specific interests wants done is usually done without question because of the policy that Monsanto does their own research and the FDA doesn't need to research for themselves and Monsanto is practically the FDA.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Well if that doesn't make it crystal clear whats going on, I don't know what will.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
This is pure nonsense. How can somebody ban food labeling? USA not democracy anymore?
I am sure anybody can put on their food package any label he wants.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by 6205LH

Republic. Not a democracy, remember... republic.

edit on 22-9-2010 by Scarcer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Chi-and-Me

How about;

Fascist
Depopulation
Architects

Fully
Deplorable
Arsewipes

Financial
Donations
Accepted

Fully
Destroyed
America

Fanatically
Devoted
Avarice

Firmly
Devious
Association

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
This is really depressing news. It was kind of expected since the Codex was implemented last December. I guess the only way to be sure is to grow your own food and save your seeds. The BigAgri businesses don't want you to do this, but it is the only way to preserve our foods diversity and nutrition.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gygar
Geez, I don't know how anybody can think the FDA is in any way a legitimate organization anymore.

Never was.
It was created to look after the interests of food conglomerates and drug corporations. The original creation of the pure food and drug act (1906) was a regulatory move to control the sale and revenue of food. It was based around "inspections" which were not content or purity but for control of products by enforcing and charging for inspections. This limited the regions of sales to small producers and allowed big money interests in the industry to direct the course of commerce.

The FDA continues to use regulatory powers over a century later and has created a system of inspection, regulation and control that rivals the IRS. It is controlled as all political agencies are by creation and adherence to rules that are created by the highest bidder in the form of political lobbyists primarily backed by the big drug companies and food conglomerates.

The FDA never had a mission to protect the consumer nor to use ethical means to accomplish any goals it choses to pursue.

It is about making money.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
Starred and flagged, stuff like this makes me sick to my stomach and I can't believe they're allowed to do what they're doing.

They're afraid of competition, that's it. They don't want people to buy non-GMO foods because, let's face it, most people know those GMO foods are crap and won't buy it if they don't have to.

Talk about confusing the consumer, that's exactly what they hope to do by removing any info about GMO or NON-GMO foods.

I think modified foods should be barred from being even sold. That's just my opinion.

Nobody should be surprised...

www.marxists.org...

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by hardamber
Hopefully there will be a website for informed consumers who are looking for a list of non-gmo food. They can't make a website illegal can they? The FDA does not exist to keep us safe. They have demonstrated that time after time. I can my own food and raise my own meat. It is going to be impossible now to eat out anywhere for fear of this stuff. I don't buy too much stuff at the grocery store anymore. I hate corporate Amerika.

It's OK, all the greedsters will meet the same fate their fathers met. And when they destroy the foodchain, our children will watch their children starve to death alongside them, as they curse their gods for allowing them to be born to such evil.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Geez, I don't know how anybody can think the FDA is in any way a legitimate organization anymore.

Never was.
It was created to look after the interests of food conglomerates and drug corporations. The original creation of the pure food and drug act (1906) was a regulatory move to control the sale and revenue of food. It was based around "inspections" which were not content or purity but for control of products by enforcing and charging for inspections. This limited the regions of sales to small producers and allowed big money interests in the industry to direct the course of commerce.

The FDA continues to use regulatory powers over a century later and has created a system of inspection, regulation and control that rivals the IRS. It is controlled as all political agencies are by creation and adherence to rules that are created by the highest bidder in the form of political lobbyists primarily backed by the big drug companies and food conglomerates.

The FDA never had a mission to protect the consumer nor to use ethical means to accomplish any goals it choses to pursue.

Worth repeating. ...Point being, the FDA is doing its job.

...Time for a new job description and mandate adjustment, maybe?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Never was.

Actually, no. My grandfather worked at a slaughterhouse in the 20's, and let me tell you, we have much better quality food today thanks to the FDA. The problem is, as always, capitalist corporate whores have bought out the government organizations that used to protect us, and are now using them the same way they use everything and everyone else- for profit and power, and to get rid of all the competition that allowed them to get anywhere in the first place.

Edit: Responsible, people-controlled government is not the enemy. Corporations are. Until the legal idea of a 'corporate entity' is destroyed, we will never be free again.

edit on 22-9-2010 by SirTFiedSkeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

The government has poisioned our food and drinks for a very long time.They fix it when they get caught and put something new into another item.It is basicly like they want to kill a certain amount of people or people in a certain area of the world and whip something up to do it unknowingly to the people of the world.This is a horrible cycle and the only way to break it is to grow your own foods and make sure no chemtrails are sprinkled over them.Way to many people die every year for one reason or another because of the poisions we ingest on a daily basis.Aswell as the drugs given to us by doctors that are suppost to help us and yet hurt us in the meantime.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SirTFiedSkeptic

I tend to agree with you (despite my posted agreement with badgerprints - the 2 viewpoints are not mutually exclusive).

...What's with this "blame the government" chant? WE are the government! ...and we're up against a REALLY BIG global corporate government that's twisting our systems to its purpose. Has been for a long, long time.

edit on 22-9-2010 by soficrow because: oops

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Well another thing, how much can we trust our organic food brands?, well let me show you something that may make some people jaw drop a bit.

Learn who owns most of the major organic brand names in the nation

One question we most ask, how organic organic brands trully are, buy local people, the definition of organic by the big food industry can mean many things.

awesome.good.is...

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by elfulanozutan0

Organic means that it isn't GMO, and free of pesticides and herbicides, and other measures it has to live up to. The organic label is much more extensive than just GMO-free.

Originally posted by marg6043
Well another thing, how much can we trust our organic food brands?, well let me show you something that may make some people jaw drop a bit.

Learn who owns most of the major organic brand names in the nation

One question we most ask, how organic organic brands trully are, buy local people, the definition of organic by the big food industry can mean many things.

awesome.good.is...

Who owns the companies is irrelevant. Organic doesn't define a brand, it's a government regulated label with certain quality standards. So no, you're wrong in saying organic can mean many things by the big food industry.

edit on 22-9-2010 by ghaleon12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Well my first reaction was flashing back to Gomer Pyle saying 'Well, Suprise, suprise!' Everyday the actions of the corporate oligarchy become more brazen, more obvious. They own our goverment, it's judges, and it's agencies. Very soon citizen of the united states of america will be synonymous with the slaves of the corporate oligarchy. These ruling elite have ruined our economy, made us pay for it, and laughed all the way to the bank, why shuold they stop there, they're in control. Why not poison the people, it's been done before.
There are many common sense solutions to the problems that face our nation, but first we need to recover the control of our government.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Originally posted by ghaleon12

"Organic means that it isn't GMO, and free of pesticides and herbicides, and other measures it has to live up to. The organic label is much more extensive than just GMO-free."

I'm a farmer myself. Have you tried growing large crops without pesticide? it is nearly impossible, I've seen entire crops be eaten away by multiple different types of insects. That's how the whole GMO thing started in the first place. Monsanto created the herbicide Round Up, which kills anything living in touches, so they had to create "Round Up Ready" Seeds. From there it exploded into a crazy science and genetic experiment.

However, being Organic doesn't mean that it is pesticide free. They do make Organic pesticide's such as Safer Soap, which I use. However it's not as potent as stuff like Azotral. I use Safer Soap for bug maintenance and Azotral when there is an extremely bad outbreak.

edit on 22-9-2010 by elfulanozutan0 because: Messed up

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join