It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are videogames training us to be soldiers?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

Gee, I coulda sworn games were put out as fun? The designers do it to get filthy stinkin' rich? But it's all about control, huh?

How does playing Mario Kart 5555 (or whatever it's called) help in controlling the world?

When you're playing Mario Kart 5555 you're not doing much thinking, or planning to take over the world are you?

so the people who are in control of the world dont have to worry, because you'll be busy playing mario kart 5555, and not thinking about them..

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Video Games Soul Purpose

Training / Distracting (i.e. Wasting time.)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
like comon guys

EVEN FROGGER gave me skills i use day to day.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I still use techneqiues to this day that i've learned in public school on some 2D flash game.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd
te]

you gotta think for yourself dude, this is sad.... use those electrons buddy.

SitRep.... They already such tech in helmets.
LastStand, you were shoot but not killed yet, pretty easy one to figure out no?....
Scrambler..... They have tech like this.... man you gotta research. there is a reason its called modarnwarefare
DangerClose, is not RESISTENCE TO EXPLOSIVES, do you even play? lol.... danger close is also a REAL TERM.
more tech.

I'm not saying these are exact, alot of them have been uplifted, and exaggerated, but they're all based of something real.

Yeah, you got that right

You are just making things up to support your point of view...I mean what technology in their helmets makes enemy footsteps louder?

What technology allows humans to actually scramble enemy radars?

And where have you seen a soldier get shot and lie on the ground waiting for the enemy with his pistol out?

Sorry, but your argument is pretty weak, laughable in fact. None of it is real. Using an xbox controller is not going to prepare myself or anyone for war....

(and yes, I was wrong about danger close, its increases your explosives damage), (and I do play, I can prove it with my xbox live ID)

edit on 22/9/2010 by OzWeatherman because: no reason

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

Since I don't game, it's not really important to me. As I said above, or pages ago... When the instruction books began to resemble war and peace, it became a bit too much.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

You forgot to mention Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 1 and 2; in my opinion it's one of the best combat simulation, another one is Operation Flashpoint ..... these games are closer to reality than other games (even CoD serie) why ? because after 2 shots the player is done for, same thing happen with 1 shot in the head.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Allright,

So it seems to me that on one hand we have the gamers, and on the other hand the non gamers, that deliver posts purely on what they assume gaming is about. There are people on here that have never even played one of the latests games like Americas Army, Operation Flashpoint etc, yet they give their opinions about the games. Seems totally biased to me.

How can you judge something, without having experience of it? Most people hear the term videogame, and then automatically jump to conclusions as to what a videogamer look like, based on stereotypes. I still maintain that some of the more realistic videogames do have an influence on your ability when it comes to military operations.

So to compare a game like super mario or mario kart to what I am trying to say in this thread is totally out of context. Yes, most games are created just for fun, but some games i believe are created with a different agenda behind them.

There has been many links and articles posted in this thread, yet nobody seems to comment on them. These studies are real, and serve as the proof of what I am trying to say in this thread. But I reckon some peoples minds are so clouded by preconcieved notions of stereotypical gamers, that they can't seem to see beyond the word "videogame".

VVV

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I game. I play sports games and shooters. They are fun! I usually play online with actual people I know. Just a ton of fun.

Are the training aids? no. In fact they seeem to teach people everything they shouldnt do in a firefight. people just run around getting shot up pretty quick. Are they propaganda of sorts? Maybe. But what can any of you do about it?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Ok, so I am a disabled vet and now a pretty hard core gamer thanks to the PTSD and my other laundry list of medical complaints.

I didn't start playing games until I was med boarded out of the military and I chose to play FPS type games to help me through exposure therapy.

COD:MW put me in situations that I had experienced in real life and allowed to me have a different outcome as well as a feeling of control I didn't have in the real world. That's allowed me to process some of the stuff that floats around my head. Most of the game is just a game but there are situations that did hit close to home. I would play for 20 mins, have an anxiety attack, turn the game off, go into a full blown panic attack, rinse and repeat the next day.

So to does it help make better soldiers?

Well, IMO, no. See, I have experience that I can fall back on a sort out what's similar and what's nonsense. At the same time, the only reason gaming is remotely helpful is because it is no where near realistic. So I get to play out scenarios that are beneficial to me with out having to contend with the trauma said situation actually creates.

The game that really drove home that there is no way a bunch of COD players could hack it real world was MAG.
MAG is a 128 v 128 FPS. You have 8 men that make up a squad. 4 squads that make up a platoon. 4 platoons attacking 4 other platoons. Each squad has a squad leader, each platoon a platoon leader, and each force an OIC (officer in charge).

I used to play that with a group of vets. We game together now to help with our exposure therapy. While playing that game we spent close to 300 hours together planning and executing our strategies. What I learned is that the level of team work a fire fight takes is utterly lost on the majority of the civilian gaming public. Any attempt to coordinate efforts was met with disdain, more often than not, by the other 120 or so players suffering from what I call Special Snowflake Syndrome.

It was by far not an easy game to play. You died quickly and surely. Team work was essential. My guys and I held off 64+ men for over 20 mins. To put that into perspective I was dying every 3 seconds after 15-30 second respawn. The only reason we were able to do what we did was because the other side was full of civilians. Utilizing suppressing fire to keep our guy alive long enough to call in 2 precision airstrikes, danger close I might add, and habitually filling the gaps left in our line when a man fell while at the same time putting pressure on their flank with RPG and machine gun fire we slowed them long enough to win the game.

Each team member executed their role perfectly. But we didn't learn how to do that or what our role was from a video game. We learned it from in the boots training. When we were short a few guys and had to deal with what we call "randoms" (players we've never met before that game) we knew we were in for some hard times. Because trying to get civvies on the same page was like herding cats. He had a better plan, or we was so amazing he could solo a fortified position, or what ever nutty stuff COD teaches people. They never understood what role a sniper played, or what the SAW was actually used for.

Explaining the game plan just you a whole lot of, "who made you the boss?", "you aren't my dad!", and "I bought this game I'll play it how I want." The American Public School system at it's best.... Anyway, I've seen guys continually run into a hall way filled with 32 angry guys just laying down flak at the entrance. After about 15 minutes of nonstop death they start to listen. Only now, because of the constant death the just experienced, the delicate nancys are too afraid to engage the enemy.

So, I guess from my perspective I wouldn't worry about games creating the perfect soldier. If anything they just teach people how their better off with a controller in their hands as opposed to real weapon.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Thank you for your explanation.

Please correct me then if I am wrong, Are you then suggesting, from your explanation, that actual soldiers make better gamers? Because of your experience in real combat, you could translate that experience into the game?
So why can't it work the other way around?

VVV

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Honestly, I can't do it for every single FPS out there. I also can't translate everything, at least not yet, in only one game. I guess what I am saying here, is best case scenario you've got a bunch of people able to make bullets but nothing to shoot them with.

Without real world experience how can they discriminate between just game and real life similarity? In the real world you'd never get a chance to find out if you were wrong cause you'd be dead.

I agree that it may make squeezing the trigger easier, but there is a lot more going on in than that on the ground. So I just don't see it being anything to write home about...Yet.

ETA: Oh yeah... As far as being a better gamer, depends on the game. Me and my guys are unstoppable forces of nature. But, we work as we would in real life. So, if the game is geared for that, yeah, we clean house. Otherwise, 12 year olds cracked out on code red are gonna beat me hands down hahaha.

In the near future it is possible that we could get real battlefield simulation going. I look forward to it from a therapy perspective as it would do me and my friends a lot of good. Till then though, I think the best we can get now is some kids learning what they could otherwise learn from reading manuals off the internet and playing airsoft in the woods.

Actually, I think I might be agreeing you that gaming is a problem if it leads to overinflated Rambos losing their minds, but I don't think that is happening yet.

edit on 23-9-2010 by AdAbsurdum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
There are many video games that are great.

But the violent ones, playing on young and impressionable minds, are dangerous.

I think those violent games should not be allowed for young people. Or for people who are mentally ill.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Well, they have a rating system...

If parents are just letting their kids play whatever with out researching them I'd think they were to blame not the industry.

Those games (FPS types) have done me more good than I could ever put into words. I think some games, like Manhunt, are just trash but there are trashy movies, too. I wouldn't let my kids watch them and I wouldn't let my kids just play whatever either.

I think responsibility falls on the parents in this case.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAbsurdum

I agree, but what are some parents like?

Also - they don't know who is mentally ill.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Some parents are pretty pathetic... But it isn't my responsibility to raise them. I don't think it's fair to deprive me of a tool that helps reintegrate me into society because some kids have failures for parents.

Technically I'm mentally ill you know... And I play violent video games.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAbsurdum

OK, Ad,

Why are you mentally ill? It is probably something we can sort out. I am good at this stuff.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
No, video games are not trainning you to become soldiers. To be a soldier you don't have just to be a crazy dude with bloodshot eyes that loves to shoot to kill.

The training of a soldier involves a LOT of discipline. I see no videogames teaching that. Also, anyone who believes videogames have that much influence on you, is either crazy, ignorant or never played videogames before.

The TV is a LOT more dangerous to the minds of your kdis than any video games.

When playing videogames, kids KNOW nothing there is real and their minds are active, making choices.

When watchinf TV, kids take all the lies spread by MSM as the truth. They see their POP idols doing crazy stuff and want to copy them. When sitting infront of the TV your mind is not active, making choices. It is passive, absorbing everything as a sponge.

If you are really worried about your kids being brainwashed, worry about them watching too much TV. I'd rather my kids played videogames all day, than watch TV all day.

edit on 23-9-2010 by henriquefd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

PTSD.

That acronym encapsulates a laundry list of issues I deal with on a day to day basis. Night terrors to flash backs, insomnia to agoraphobia, I run the gambit. This isn't the thread for that kind of discussion though, but you can U2U me if you'd like.

In my opinion taking the games away from me would hurt me a lot more than letting me play them. I get to interact with people similar to me, I get to work on my issues in a safe environment, and I get to have fun while I'm doing it. It's therapy I can afford, too! I don't have the money to pay for $120/hour sessions. (The VA is absolutely useless, btw.)

Some of these "ultra-violent" shooters, as I've heard some politicians refer to them as, are putting the heads of veterans back together and giving us hope we wouldn't otherwise feel we have. So, I think they are good thing, even for the mentally ill to have.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

engage acording to operational parameters
ROGER THAT

xploder out

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join