It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The END of Online Piracy

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of God
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It is a lot of very hard work to write and record songs so people like you who feel they work so hard can listen to it while they releax. The musician doesn't make the lion's share of the money, the record label does so again you are not informed enough to speak on the subject.

Exactly. So if the record label is making the lions share of the money, then the musician should be out there performing. That's where the money should be made.

For the record, though, I refuse and openly rebuke the pirating of digital media for artists who self publish and self distribute. My friend Marilee Effingham does live performances at Ren Fests. She also created and self-published her own CD. I would be incredibly irate to find people mass distributing the CD without her authorization. The differance? She actually put the work into it and is directly getting the rewards AND she is still out there performing.

I am not against artists. I am against promoting the culture of artists as indentured servants.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Mobius1974

You think the FEDS really give a rat's lol that's funny because they make a bigger salary than you and guess what? They do it too...lol
I know someone who works in national security, they do it, and then they go to see the artist in concert if they like their music. HAHA the government workers are the biggest theives out there. Taxation is theivery, it's why we had the Boston tea party and now they are doing exactly what they fought against. In the constitution it states wages should never be taxed but here we are in 2010 paying "Income tax", all they did was change a word around that meant the same thing and taxed us on our income which is a WAGE! Better get to studying some law.

I tell you what I lost all of my respect for the entertainment industry long ago, their integrity is NIL. If I want to do something fun I will turn on the radio and dance or watch a lifetime movie or watever interests me, or go out and people watch, reality is so much more entertaining anyway. Also I will go out and play volley ball and tennis two things I love and I won't be one of you fat obese typical american idiots sitting at ballgames watching some overpaid loser do something I can go out and enjoy more doing myself or watching a bunch of losers playing pretend for millions of dollars while the crowd watches as theyre A&& grows ever larger. The only thing I'd pay a dime to go see are classic plays and I can go to the local high school for those. And they may not be the best at it, but you will notice something in them you will never ever see in a Hollywood actor enjoyment of doing it!!! And a love of the theatre. All hollywood loves is money, as if money is the holy grail or soemthing. Hate to break it to all of you, but pretty soon that little thing called money you all so bent on grasping onto is going to be worthless, but at least it will be good to start a campfire with!

Oh I will however still go to concerts as that is where the artists makes their money.

edit on 21-9-2010 by ldyserenity because: to add some things

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

Originally posted by Soldier of God
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It is a lot of very hard work to write and record songs so people like you who feel they work so hard can listen to it while they releax. The musician doesn't make the lion's share of the money, the record label does so again you are not informed enough to speak on the subject.

Exactly. So if the record label is making the lions share of the money, then the musician should be out there performing. That's where the money should be made.

For the record, though, I refuse and openly rebuke the pirating of digital media for artists who self publish and self distribute. My friend Marilee Effingham does live performances at Ren Fests. She also created and self-published her own CD. I would be incredibly irate to find people mass distributing the CD without her authorization. The differance? She actually put the work into it and is directly getting the rewards AND she is still out there performing.

I am not against artists. I am against promoting the culture of artists as indentured servants.

That's what ALL bands do. The do make most of their money touring but does that mean they shouldn't get paid for the album that THEY created? If it pisses you off about your friend it should piss you off about every artist.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

S.O Significant other... my domestic partner well he's the father of my children lives with me but we're not married...but SO meant significant other. Sorry should have clarified. And the cheating and lying comment was sarcasm, guess you never heard that before.

edit on 21-9-2010 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mobius1974
reply to post by v3_exceed

Please explain the facts that I have glossed over.. I am deffinetly open for new facts.. If it wasn't illegal and was morally just.. I would certainly like to recieve some software for free that I have been paying for.. Inform me where I am mistaken...

Canadian recordable media storage tax. Where artists are compensated for their loss by a tax levied on all recordable storage media based on capacity. How these monies are disbursed is beyond my scope as a consumer, but that money is collected for this purpose.
So either I have paid for the downloading of that material in advance, or the government is stealing money from both the people and the artists. In any event I have paid for downloading material and by that nature am not a thief.

Also there were good points mentioned that you waxed over in favor of maintaining an argument without merit. Just the fact that you maintain this whole issue has anything to do with the actual recording artists and not acknowledging that there might be a deeper issue here, on a conspiracy site no less.

..Ex

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

You think the FEDS really give a rat's lol that's funny because they make a bigger salary than you and guess what?

Are you sure about that?? Again.. I am the one here able to pay for the products that I like or use.

They do it too...lol
I know someone who works in national security, they do it, and then they go to see the artist in concert if they like their music. HAHA the government workers are the biggest theives out there. Taxation is theivery, it's why we had the Boston tea party and now they are doing exactly what they fought against. In the constitution it states wages should never be taxed but here we are in 2010 paying "Income tax", all they did was change a word around that meant the same thing and taxed us on our income which is a WAGE! Better get to studying some law.

Here we go.... Some guy watching youtube videos is now a taxation expert...So you dont think that americans should pay taxes?? How exactly do we go about fixing/building schools? Roads? Museums? I truely hope that there is a Mrs. Serentity to intervene in the moral/ethical teachings of your little ones.

I tell you what I lost all of my respect for the entertainment industry long ago, their integrity is NIL. If I want to do something fun I will turn on the radio and dance or watch a lifetime movie or watever interests me, or go out and people watch, reality is so much more entertaining anyway. Also I will go out and play volley ball and tennis two things I love and I won't be one of you fat obese typical american idiots sitting at ballgames watching some overpaid loser do something I can go out and enjoy more doing myself or watching a bunch of losers playing pretend for millions of dollars while the crowd watches as theyre A&& grows ever larger.

Boy are you hatefull... Why do you loath athletes in such a way? Was it a NY Met that fathered your child?
Tennis and volleyball? I am glad to see you are in touch with your feminine side.. Ill tell you what.. When you want to belly up to the big boys table.. Slap on your skates and come play AA hockey with my 11 year old.. My bet is he would make quick work of a bender! Then you can come see his dad..

The only thing I'd pay a dime to go see are classic plays and I can go to the local high school for those. And they may not be the best at it, but you will notice something in them you will never ever see in a Hollywood actor enjoyment of doing it!!! And a love of the theatre. All hollywood loves is money, as if money is the holy grail or soemthing. Hate to break it to all of you, but pretty soon that little thing called money you all so bent on grasping onto is going to be worthless, but at least it will be good to start a campfire with!

Normally someone that makes comments like you have just made .. have had a very hard go at life.. I am no psychic.. But I deffinetly see financial problems in your past.... You negative outlook is very very damaging to your personal success.. I am sure you will tell us how successful you are.. but you and I know that is a lie..
I am pretty sure .. I have a bead on you.. Your going to school to be a programer (what kind of programer?) .. You have a son in a band.. so you must be roughly 40ish... Yet you are on here posting mid-day.. Have you called MARVIN yet this month?

get over all the anger and resentment for people that have succeded in life.. You can also be a success.. You just need to ditch this awful attitude.

1st step.. admit that it is stealing.. Dont make excuses... Work to get the laws changed .. or live by the law..

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

You think the FEDS really give a rat's lol that's funny because they make a bigger salary than you and guess what?

Are you sure about that?? Again.. I am the one here able to pay for the products that I like or use.

They do it too...lol

Here we go.... Some guy watching youtube videos is now a taxation expert...So you dont think that americans should pay taxes?? How exactly do we go about fixing/building schools? Roads? Museums? I truely hope that there is a Mrs. Serentity to intervene in the moral/ethical teachings of your little ones.

I tell you what I lost all of my respect for the entertainment industry long ago, their integrity is NIL. If I want to do something fun I will turn on the radio and dance or watch a lifetime movie or watever interests me, or go out and people watch, reality is so much more entertaining anyway. Also I will go out and play volley ball and tennis two things I love and I won't be one of you fat obese typical american idiots sitting at ballgames watching some overpaid loser do something I can go out and enjoy more doing myself or watching a bunch of losers playing pretend for millions of dollars while the crowd watches as theyre A&& grows ever larger.

Boy are you hatefull... Why do you loath athletes in such a way? Was it a NY Met that fathered your child?
Tennis and volleyball? I am glad to see you are in touch with your feminine side.. Ill tell you what.. When you want to belly up to the big boys table.. Slap on your skates and come play AA hockey with my 11 year old.. My bet is he would make quick work of a bender! Then you can come see his dad..

The only thing I'd pay a dime to go see are classic plays and I can go to the local high school for those. And they may not be the best at it, but you will notice something in them you will never ever see in a Hollywood actor enjoyment of doing it!!! And a love of the theatre. All hollywood loves is money, as if money is the holy grail or soemthing. Hate to break it to all of you, but pretty soon that little thing called money you all so bent on grasping onto is going to be worthless, but at least it will be good to start a campfire with!

Normally someone that makes comments like you have just made .. have had a very hard go at life.. I am no psychic.. But I deffinetly see financial problems in your past.... You negative outlook is very very damaging to your personal success.. I am sure you will tell us how successful you are.. but you and I know that is a lie..
I am pretty sure .. I have a bead on you.. Your going to school to be a programer (what kind of programer?) .. You have a son in a band.. so you must be roughly 40ish... Yet you are on here posting mid-day.. Have you called MARVIN yet this month?

get over all the anger and resentment for people that have succeded in life.. You can also be a success.. You just need to ditch this awful attitude.

1st step.. admit that it is stealing.. Dont make excuses... Work to get the laws changed .. or live by the law..

OMG.....why do you have to resort to petty insults on other members that you know nothing about? what makes you think you are so much better than others.

Live by the law.........so you have never gone over the speed limit?? tried ganja? told a lie?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I am basing my arguments on facts and laws.. Not wishes and wants..

Of course I would like to get things for free... Maybe in Canada they have a way of compensating artists for revenue lost.. That is fantastic.. But is it still illegal to download movies without paying for them? If it is legal.. I say have at it!

I would suggest this.. If you think the law is unjust.. Work to have it changed.. BUT.. the fact remains.. right now, it is illegal.. Am I wrong?

I just think differently than you.. I am thankful for the time and money put into these dvd's and cd's... I listen to Howard Stern 99% of the time.. So I dont listen to much CD music. I have Sirius and use it.
BUT... Example.. We have a local band.. My best friend is in the band.. I get free everything from him.. But If I see a box set or new CD comes out.. I buy it.. Simply to show my support.. This Band is Taproot.. Do they need the money? Not at all.. Do they appreciate every single purchase? Very much so!

I kow there are some very good arguments for Dling on the net.. But I always fall back on intent..

Did this band release this CD intending to give it to 30% of fans for free? Nope!!!! Have they had to raise their prices for concerts/cd's/apparel to make up for revenue lost due to illegal dling? you bet cha..

So part of my anger comes from the new costs to us that obey the laws and purchase products we like.

Do the record companies make TONS of money? Yep.. Is it our right to decide how much they should make from their product? nope!!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Have you even read your comments?
First off, property taxes pay for roads, schools and the like, not income taxes. And the other poster didn't suggest that all taxes were bad. Secondly you don't even seem to be reading others comments before becoming condescending and insulting. As I stated earlier, you are showing yourself a prime example of everything wrong with ATS these days; uninformed, rude and spiteful. Also, spell check is your friend.

..Ex

p.s.
learn2grammer

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mowgli

Where did I insult him? I think you are mistaking the quotes.. He is the one insulting and calling americans fat arses and other things .. why? because we are following the law..

I would have more respect for someone saying "I know I am breaking the law.. I just cant afford it"

Instead you get all of the excuses why it isn't or shouldnt be illegal.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

It's called property tax thats what pays for schools and firehouses, please study some tax laws before you go spewing about taxes you know nothing about. Income tax pays the politicians wages and goes to some ghetto hookers on welfare. And a very small portion goes to social security and medicare for retirees(which is actually seperate and I wouldn't mind paying as I will also be a reitree someday)...yet they are the ones getting the biggest shaft, what do they cut when times are rough? Social security and medicare, not medicaid,welfare or their incomes. A portion also goes to national defense, but the soldiers over there in Iraq don't see the majority of that, no, the corporations that build and manufacture the weapons do. And not the workers that build them, but the CEO's see the majority of that defense money.Obviously you don't know the first thing about taxes.

edit on 21-9-2010 by ldyserenity because: For spelling and punctuation cause I was eating

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Well I deffinetly do not want to be taken that way.. I guess I did not explain well enough.. Lets cut to the chase..

The point I want to make is this.. I think taxes are necessary and I have no problem paying my taxes. And BTW.... Property taxes pay for a portion of school funding.. FED Govt. pay into almost every single public school in this country.

I apologize if I was riled up and responded rudely.. I did not mean to.. I just got excited.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I think the real reason for this new legislation to allow them to shut down any website is so that they can silence the "Wikileaks" site. The Wikileaks twitter feed even recently had a link to a blog post titled "US has a way to shut us down" twitter.com... which links to this blog post: www.thecubablog.com...

It's way more than obvious that the US govt wants to silence Wikileaks. They could try the method detailed in the above blog post, or if they can pass this legislation that gives them the power to shut down any website by saying the site contains pirated material (and you can bet they will include unauthorized govt documents as part of the definition of pirated material)....

I do not think this is a good thing at all. The government should not have the ability to shut down or censor any website they wish, including foreign ones.

I assume in the case of foreign sites they would have some sort of mandate to all US ISP's to firewall the site so that US citizens cannot reach the site. Does this sound familiar? China?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I say if the US government starts a war with filesharing there will most likely be a lot more wikileaks to come. They will turn a large community of tech savy people against them and a war will erupt on the internet. The war they would not be able to hide behind firewalls and secret internet connections to protect themselves. They have a truths of sort now where the governments are left alone with the exception of wikileaks. But even wikileaks has a truths on not leaking top secret info they just leak the for offical use only files. The future will be interesting. Got any popcorn?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Look, I am not going to keep arguing with you.. But again you do not know what you are talking about.

Source
www.fairfaxtimes.com...

Fairfax County Public Schools will receive the largest share -- $21.3 million -- of the nearly $250 million awarded to Virginia under the $10 billion federal Education Jobs Fund, which was signed into law Aug. 10.

Again I dont want to argue.. But you dont know what you are talking about. This is one school district.. Check your state.. The Feds.. supplement almost EVERY school.. I am sick of being told to "go learn" things from a person that doesn't know a thing about what he is telling me to "go learn" about.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Amen to that!

Anyway,IMO, all this grasping at greed and money is going to be the government's, the entertainment industry's , and wall street's downfall, they are going to be so shocked when they are as penniless as the rest of america, because the dollar is going to be worthless IMO, and those people are the ones who will not be able to survive on their own and the rest of us we aren't going to help them. It's a dog eat dog world but they'll see the bed they gotta lie in when they're the underdogs! I will be laughing my fool head off too.Everybody seems to think money is the end all be all, well they're going to find out!!! Beleive that!

edit on 21-9-2010 by ldyserenity because: spelling again darn it.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I really don't know how anyone ever thinks they could end piracy. There is only one ultimate solution to end online piracy and that is to shut down the internet. No online = no online piracy. That's the only solution. They could even go as far as to monitor everything you download and I could still find a way to get around it. There is no ultimate end answer for piracy period. If there is digital anything that can be pirated ultimately it will be. There are so many more places to get pirated things than just simple junk torrent sites.

All this is, is a feel good campaign to appeal to the money that comes from hollywood plain and simple. They look like they are doing a good job on the hill, and the people with the money give them an attaboy donation for their hard work.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

So your not even going to respond to the proof that you dont know what you are talking about? Typical.. Make statements ... then hide from them, like someone else said them..

Feds.. pay into our schools.. Do you still want to dispute this? Or are you man enough to admit when you are wrong? I doubt that is in your make up to do that.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

You can share free software, open source movie, music, etc etc

It's free and legal : and THEY Don't want you do be free.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
On a side note, How many people have actually gone to court over file sharing?

I think here (UK) last year a girl of 14 was supposed to have been caught and fined but nothing came of it.

The MPAA is a toothless dinosaur. The only people who get caught are the people who don't understand the technology they use.

My IP is :- 87.118.126.185.. Find me..

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join