It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope's Astronomer Says He Would Baptise An Alien If It Asked Him

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Pope's Astronomer Says He Would Baptise An Alien If It Asked Him

www.guardian.co.uk

Aliens might have souls and could choose to be baptised if humans ever met them, a Vatican scientist said today. The official also dismissed intelligent design as "bad theology" that had been "hijacked" by American creationist fundamentalists.

Guy Consolmagno, who is one of the pope's astronomers, said he would be "delighted" if intelligent life was found among the stars. "But the odds of us finding it, of it being intelligent and us being able to communicate with it – when you add them up it's probably not a practical question."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
And the question I have is...ummm....well scratch that. Instead, I might ask why all of the sudden is the pace of these types of stories picking up? Its nearly every day lately.

Stephen Hawking is a member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences www.vatican.va...

The pope's astronomer said the Vatican was keen on science and admitted that the church had got it "spectacularly wrong" over its treatment of the 17th century astronomer Galileo Galilei. Galileo confirmed that the Earth went around the sun – and not the other way around – and was charged with heresy in 1633. He spent the rest of his life under house arrest in Tuscany. Only in 1992 did Pope John Paul admit that the church's treatment of Galileo had been a mistake.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I guess I, and the Vatican astronomer need to do a search.

Just saying, I recall a pamphlet, or a booklet, have you, a few years ago that was published by the Jesuits, and in this document, it was mentioned that there might be creatures from beyond Earth. And, it was suggested that Earthlings should probably not attempt to "convert" these aliens to Christianity. Because, they just might have their own religion, and they just might have their own "Jesus" figure.

Meanwhile, yikes! Try to baptize an alien? WTF for? What if water kills them or creates havoc with their bodies?

Edit to add: Oh, for sure, if it asked to be baptized. Yeah, that's cool, as long as the alien understood, it's just a water ceremony. No harm. Heh

edit on 21-9-2010 by kyred because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Oh yeah mate that is funny! Yeah, what if they dont like water?

More, what if they dont want to be Catholic?

Thats really my first question...are the Catholics going to "force" conversion?
Oh, this I have to see....of course maybe the aliens will just go along peacefully into submission?

Edit to add: Yes, at least he said he would do it if the Alien "asked".
in what language?

edit on 21-9-2010 by burntheships because: rotfl

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Already done here, sorry

Pope's astronomer would be pleased to baptize an alien "no matter how many tentacles it has."

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join