It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking, Our Most Powerful/Detrimental Ability.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I have been thinking about this a lot lately.

We all know what thoughts are for the most part. It is those things floating around in our head all day, helping us visualize ideas, solve tasks, work out problems, recall the past, ponder the future, etc.

It is definitely a very powerful tool to help us in this human experience.

It can also be a very detrimental thing though. You ever have one of those days where all you want to do is relax, yet you can't stop thinking about stuff? Man, it really irks me. Sometimes all I want to do is live in the moment, but I will be thinking about stuff in the back of my head which doesn't allow it. Fortunately I do have days where my mind is at ease and I am able to live in the moment and have fun.

Yeah, as with most of my threads, I will add more to it once I get responses and get some ideas flowing.

So please, share your thoughts on the matter.

-SES

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I agree

Positivity breeds Positivity

Negativity breeds Negativity.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

SolarE-Souljah,

Yeah, thought can really be a burden.

I was thinking about this as well. Turning off your thought process is something we only succeed at in our sleep, in between dreams. Some succeed at it through meditation but the rest of us are stuck with that never ending burden of why, where, what, who, how.....

I even believe that is why we have a thing as religion. Think about it, what are all these religious people looking for??? Salvation! Salvation from what?? From the torment of not knowing. Believing something takes away the necessity to question....

Personally I like to think but not too much....

Peace

edit on 21-9-2010 by operation mindcrime because: grammar

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   

...Do your demons. Do they ever let you go...

Ronnie James Dio

Normally I would hesitate to quote random rock lyrics like this. But in reference to this thread, that lyric, from the song "Holy Diver" jumped straight into my head so I felt it relevant.

I, too, have had moments where painful memories, or difficult situations wouldn't leave me alone, no matter how hard I fought to shake them off or derail them. They can pull you straight down, like drowning on the inside... Leaving one feeling something close to absolute despair. I've gone to some pretty great lengths, at times, to cope with these kinds of thoughts.

I've found the bottom of many, many bottles in this pursuit.
I've desperately swallowed pills in an attempt to wash away the painful thoughts.

But with time I discovered an interesting fact. What hurts us, one day, can actually comfort us on another. What we've worried about or lost can become a beautiful thing once we've made peace with our grief or our fears.

Our thoughts can do wonderful and miraculous things. In imagination lies all of discovery.

Maybe these little interludes of pain are the cosmic price we must pay for admission to thought itself.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

You bring up a great point.

If you think positive, you usually end getting some positivity in your life.

If you are being emo and sad and being negative, it has a way of finding you and adding more negativity to your life.

Thanks for the input.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Okay, here's your problem. You were thinking. At least that is my thoughts. Oh, noes! Now we are both in trouble!

Sometimes thinking about things can be detrimental. Just saying that people can "over think" things. Some things really don't need much thought, you know, like being nice to people and helping people. Things like, well, it's going to happen anyway, don't give that too much thought. You're not going to change the outcome.

But you can consider, the obvious outcome and consider what your actions could be after that.

Other times, yeah, considerable thought might be wise for someone.

Oh, hell. I'm starting to think too much. Now I'm going to get into too much trouble!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah

If you are being emo and sad and being negative, it has a way of finding you and adding more negativity to your life.

I like to see this in the from of a self-fulfilling-prophecy. Consciously you are convincing yourself that your mindset is positive. While the unconscious can not find a reason for it, it will try to get in-line with what the conscious mind is thinking. Picking up on positive experiences while ignoring the negative experiences, it will try to fulfill the conscious mind's expectation.

I guess it's a matter of perception.

Peace

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Yes!

Not so much thinking about how to react or do something.

Thoughts should, in my opinion, be positive thoughts.

Perhaps "mindless" good thoughts. Not so much thoughts about actions, but just a positive outlook in one's mind.

Thoughts are not just an exercise in a particular event or problem. Thinking also involves a deeper belief that things will be fine, eventually. I'm having a difficult time thinking of the proper words to express what I am trying to express. Or, thinking also can involve a deeper belief that things will be mucked up, eventually.

These sort of underlying thoughts, can create a totally different reality for individuals.

It's the thinking of individuals that the glass is half full or half empty. Underlying thoughts. And these underlying thoughts effect the upper levels of thoughts of the individual.

Okay, I give up

Tonight is not my night. My glass is half full.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah

I like to see this in the from of a self-fulfilling-prophecy. Consciously you are convincing yourself that your mindset is positive. While the unconscious can not find a reason for it, it will try to get in-line with what the conscious mind is thinking. Picking up on positive experiences while ignoring the negative experiences, it will try to fulfill the conscious mind's expectation.

I guess it's a matter of perception.

Peace

That is the first logical explanation for the power of positive thinking I have actually heard, and I have heard a lot of them.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
That is the first logical explanation for the power of positive thinking I have actually heard, and I have heard a lot of them.

Yeah well, don't take it as gospel because I am making 'm up as I go...

Peace

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The human brain is the generator of the human being. Like a placenta, in that it creates the environment within which the human being can develop and mature as a species. Your thoughts are akin to the cells dividing and multiplying within a gestational environment, and they gather in-kind over the course of your life to add to the substance and potential of you - the you that will live on after the placenta and its support systems have finally served their purpose and are no longer necessary.

Be happy with your thoughts. Even if they are troubling. The good, the bad, and the god-awful ugly are texture and nuance for the fully developed Intellect being that you are becoming. You want that texture and nuance. It will serve you well in the future, and give you more to work with and draw from. Never shut down your mind. It is - literally - the only reason why you exist as a corporeal being.

It's popular lately to insist that the human brain is some sort of enemy to the human being, but the truth is that the human brain creates the humam being. One thought at a time.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I've been doing a lot of thinking about thinking today.

I realized how an event that was originally seen as bad, can in the end be seen as something positive and a learning experience. Thinking about past events sometimes has a way of resolving them in your mind.

I think a lot. I like to share my ideas. Please share yours. I know I have so much more to say, just refresh me a little bit and inspire me.

-SES

top topics

join