It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would your reaction be if you met an "important" person like an actor?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Just depends....now, if it was a hottie like Milla Jovovich ...this would be my face .....
but as far as the crying and all that bull...seriously people hahahah!!!

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I met the 60's icon 'Lulu' once, while I was working as a road sweeper in Camden's more exclusive areas (Hampstead, Belsize Park). She was the snootiest, most dismissive, most patronising woman I've ever come across. I just said hello, and she looked at me like I was something I'd picked up on my shovel. Really turned me off the idea that celebrities are necessarily anything like their stage persona. Arrogant moose.

Around that time I saw Baby Spice (Emma Bunton) posting a letter - and I got a smile.

I also saw Liam Gallagher swaggering like a chavvy/scally teenager down the road towards the main part of Camden with his GF Patsy Kensit. He looked like a complete div. She looked embarrassed to be with him

The best was the least famous - 'Spider' from Coronation Street - pulled some bird and was bringing her back to his terrace house in Belsize Park.. Got a 'knowing wink' from him as they entered the house while I was working outside...

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I have met many famous and important people. Most of these people are musicians, and political figures. I got to meet Gordy Howe in a Target store but was too shy (I was 12) to ask for an autograph. When I got a little older I started going to rock concerts and then to all sorts of concerts and realized that my music heroes are rather accesable. I started being more bold and getting my way to wherever I thought I would have the best chance of seeing them and then met a lot of great musicians. I've also met some well known political and social activists, and also some of Michigans politicians. They are all pretty cool people if you just talk to them like a human being not some big shot. The only person I still would really like to meet is Willie Nelson. I've been to two of his shows and he is not very accesable.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by the dacoit

Well first I do not think there are very many important ppl.

Maybe someone who saves lives.

Maybe someone who keeps ppl from killing themselves.

Maybe someone who does something to benefit the ppl or the planet in tangible means.

Entertainers are basically ppl that put on a show, much like our politicians.

Every election season they "act" like they give a damn about us.

I think ppl will find some of these ppl are quite Gibson-esque if you got to meet the real them.

A lot of ppl walking around in the world are plastic ppl, and all you see is one of their masks.

I have family members like this, had co-workers like this, and it is just another form of lying
by not showing the real you so you can get leverage with ppl you often really do not like.

This myriad of lies is soon going to hatch an egg that has been cooking for a few decades now.

Good Luck to all the good ppl !!!

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Why not just say a celebrity; i.e. someone who is known. Just because a person is known doesn't mean they are "important". Seriously.

I think this has more to do with money and power. For some reason that stuff really wows people. Oh you got a new car "Wow". Its the superficialness that rubs me the wrong way so if I met a "important" person I would just act like they were a regular person and see if they had anything of "substance" to talk about.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Well this will probably not fair well with many, but I meet "important" people on a weekly basis. They are my family and friends, and in my opinion, are the most important people in the world to me.

The person that helped the neighbor out with the purchase of a full tank of gas (because they couldn't afford to buy any) probably won't be too important because the Newscrew's weren't alerted about his/her generosity. The person standing in the grocery line that handed back the $20.00 bill that fell out of the little old ladies purse in front of him probably isn't all that important either. The family that donated some clothes and blankets to a shelter, they certainly can't be very important or we'd hear more about it.

I think that certain peoples ideals of what or who is important has been going askew for a number of years. Although the acclimation engine marketed by advertisers, newsrooms, salesman, etc., would like you to believe that unless you own, or know of, or heard the latest gossip on someone, that your not savy to what they are selling as "important".

I'm sorry but I don't feel the need to be classed in a category where the terminology and concept of "importance" has taken a backseat to reality. But then again, I'm just not all that important anyway.

With Hope,
Wingz

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I once got an insight into the psychology of celebrity-hunting when I was working in a catering establishment.
Evidently some television personality passed through, and one of the young lads working there came into the staff-room crowing "I'm famous- I've got so-and-so's autograph".
"I'm famous?" So getting an autograph from a famous person transmits a kind of contagious fame? That's interesting.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by the dacoit

Actors and actress are not 'important'. They perhaps are famous in many cases, but not "important" by a long shot.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I almost forgot. When I was twelve my grandma made me stand in line with her for like four hours to get David Copperfields autograph. I remember being so mad at her and thinking why would anyone stand in line this long for someone's autograph. When we got to him he made a scribble...seriously not one letter on our poster. I looked a the poster, looked at him, then looked at my grandma and said, "that isn't an autograph!" I think she was embarrassed because we hauled outta there fast.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Being a musician myself, I have had the honor of sharing the stage with some of the biggest metal/rock bands in the world and even chatting with them backstage several times. I never really quite understood why people worship other people when we are all capable of creating the same things if we just put our minds and time into it.

I guess the response of going nuts when you see a celebrity comes from insecurities of the fans themselves. Somehow they have built the people up in their minds and choose to idolize them. When I have met famous people I have never freaked out. We might shake hands and I might tell them that they are an influence and that is it. Never once have I started to cry or freak out, its just not in my nature because I am trying to attain the same status and influence that they are as a musician.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I would shut my ouija down and run away.

No person could be considered "important" while living... I think it's the long course of Times (i know sounds quite biblical but it's not and of course i do not mean the magazine) what gives importance to people and their acts.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
You just need to remember, they put pants on everyday, just like you and me. I work in the entertainment industry. Not so much with film and actors, but more so with live television and concerts. It's sort of a relief when you can sit down and treat them like the normal person they are. It's when the ego of these "celebrities" get way too large that it gets irritating. I mean, seriously, I'm not allowed to talk to some of these people, because so and so is too good for the "workers" that make his or her butt look good. It reminds me of a famous poster Henry Rollins posted backstage during his concerts. It read something like this:

Get on the stage when the stage manager tells you. Nobody has time for your rock star BS.
The people backstage don't care if you're David Bowie or the milkman.
They will be here hours before you setting up the stage, and hours after you leave, tearing it down.
You should get their salary, and they should get yours.

-Henry Rollins

That right there gave me a large respect for that man. He's witnessed the 20+ hours a day people like us have to pull so these celebrities can do their thing. I'm not a fan of celebrities, I see them more as the stuck up co-worker at the office who has the big house and boat, and doesn't have to lift a finger.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
While working the east coast punk circuit I met tons of Famous Rockers and played with some legendary bands, I never had the urge to flip out upon meeting my Idols hell I even got to open shows for some of them. I never understood why people crap there pants over that kind of thing.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

I would say that Bruce Campbell loved that conversation. He is an interesting guy because the person and persona are somewhat similar, just that the persona is a little more crass.

As for Adam West, that was the first one I met, back when I was a kid. He was signing autographs while in the Batman costume, and me being about 5 or 6 at the time, just straight up asked where Burt Ward was. His reaction was to ask in the Bruce Wayne voice: "Don't you mean my ward Dick Grayson who is Robin?" From there I proceeded to explain (remember I am a kid at the time) that he was Adam West who plays Batman and Burt Ward plays Robin. That it was a TV show. He was rather taken aback that a kid understood the differences and proceeded to ask me a lot of questions.

Looking back, he may have thought that he was being put on by some sort of Candid Camera type stunt.

There is also a local celebrity, Dr. Creep, that was the host of the local horror movie show for WKEF Channel 22 in Dayton, Ohio. I would say that it is funny that I still have his autograph from about the same time. Only he and I got to know each other over the years as I got into acting while in High School and became a bit of a very minor local celebrity in a way, my own self.

It has been a few years since I last talked with Dr. Creep, and sadly he hardly remembers me as age has worked unfavorably on his mind over the years. He admitted that at best, I was vaguely familiar but trusted that he did once know me better than what his mind remembered. Of course that was because my cousin was there, who he did know because they saw each other every year during the Halloween stuff that goes on, And I have to say it made me a little teary-eyed. Not because he didn't remember but because he could not remember. It was just too much of a glimpse of my own future as become older and my mind starts slipping.

Still, despite the low budget values of the costuming, writing and acting, I would have loved to have worked with him back in the day. Even in the part of a throw away bit.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Movie star, musician, president, or any other considered "famous" mean nothing to me. I doubt they have anything to say that I would like to listen. Some have played characters I wouldn't mind meeting but those are fake. I am sure the "famous" and I have nothing in common. There are a few "famous" people I would like to get in reach so I could bash them along the head one good time, but those are mainly political.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Mike Tyson asked if he could sit down and buy me a drink once. I said no thank you.
My ears thanked me later.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Actors are the worst, so many emotions and drama. Music people suck! as they think what they do is important, pretty much anyone who is "Famous" has mental health issues and should be avoided. Everybody who the media put forward as a VIP are pretty much the worst type of human. They all suck, even the pretty ones...

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Same as my reaction to meeting anyone.. Have met several world leaders and famous people during my travels over the years.. Not impressed by them..

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I had a WWE wrestler ask me for directions if it counts.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I've met 'important' people before, from stars to a president, theyre human beings, they put their pants on like I do, one leg at a time, so I dont treat them any different then anyone else, some I give a little more respect then others

Stars I've met: John Travolta (nicest guy I've ever met), Debbie Gibson, Richard Hatch (Battlestar Galactica), Jeremy Bulloch, David Prowse, Kenny Baker, Garth Brooks
Various North Carolina Politicians, fmr President Clinton (didnt like him at all)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join