It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is crude usable/recoverable after being mixed with Corexit?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I've seen some chatter about it in this forum. People seem to be saying they think BP is going to 'harvest' the crude submerged on the floor of the Gulf of Mexico by applying massive amounts of corexitt to the crude at the source of the leak as well as by air. But i havent come across the data saying its possible or not. Sorry if there is already another thread, feel free to point me in the right direction.

IS the crude still useful to BP after is has been doused with corexit? IS the 'harvest' scenario realistic?

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

Corexit is a dispersant isn't it? Isn't it simple logic to assume that once you break something up into millions or even billions of tiny little droplets that it's going to be just a tad harder to collect? Of course it is harder to collect, I would think it almost impossible, most of the oil that spilt into the Gulf has simply been mixed into the sea water to cover it up.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S

Corexit is a dispersant isn't it? Isn't it simple logic to assume that once you break something up into millions or even billions of tiny little droplets that it's going to be just a tad harder to collect? Of course it is harder to collect, I would think it almost impossible, most of the oil that spilt into the Gulf has simply been mixed into the sea water to cover it up.

I would thinks so too. But the chatter seems to say otherwise, And i didnt want to derail any threads asking for evidence. so i started a thread looking for it.

if it is recoverable, i'm going down to help with the cleanup!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Well they must be talking about the remaining oil which hasn't been dispersed. I don't know...I stopped following the GoM spill threads a long time ago...

edit on 20/9/10 by CHA0S because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Yeah, I guess people would rather make such claims in threads where no one will ask for verification, because NONE of them appeared here to defend theirt claim that BP is going to 'collect' the crude off the Gulf floor.

Guess the idea is the bunk i figured it was, since corexit appears to make the crude un-useable.

top topics

join