It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ozone layer 'is no longer disappearing and will return to full strength by 2048', says UN report

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I would just like to point out the new information about the levels of UV radiation and how it interacts with ozone.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Quoted from an outside source:

"The UV fall - about six times as big as anticipated - was consistent with changes in ozone concentrations observed with other satellites. Ultraviolet radiation produces ozone in the upper atmosphere."

Put me down as one of those people who no longer believe that CFCs were responsible for the thinning of the ozone layer. And yes - I do believe that it was a scheme by Dupont to get us to switch to another type of refrigerant after the patent ran out on CFCs.

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

Thanks for that
I was not aware of that patent issue.... that is the missing piece of the puzzle to be sure. As they say, you want truth, "Follow the Money"

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
And here comes the next phase of the scam!! Can anyone tell me when the patent for HCFC's runs out?

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Quote from an outside source:

"And there lies a threat, and an opportunity. The substances being used to replace CFCs – HCFCs and HFCs – though much better for the ozone layer, also contribute to global warming. The use of HCFCs is accelerating, though they are to be phased out by 2030 – 10 years earlier than originally intended, thanks to an agreement partially brokered by George W Bush. But emissions of HFCs are sky-rocketing, with no end in sight: the new assessment reckons that, if uncontrolled, they could undo all the good for the climate done by banning the CFCs in the first place. "

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I am against any form of pollution, but misinformation is just as bad

Then why are you spreading it? Your post incorporates some astoundingly absurd logic:

Point is ozone O₃ does not 'deplete' it merely drops back to oxygen O₂...

This is exactly what depletion is. When some chemical compund breaks down it doesn't just disappear into nothing - it breaks down into other compounds.

To try and imply that ozone (O3) and oxygen (O2) are the same thing because they're both made out of oxygen atoms is like saying that water (H2O) and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) are virtually identical. If you're going to use this as a basis to encourage people to ignore issues like the ozone layer then you might as well tell them drinking sulfuric acid is the same thing as having a glass of water while inhaling a couple of innocent matches.

Ozone is constantly being created when UV light hits Oxygen.. if it was depleted we would all be toast.

Exactly - and what do you think happens when it is being destroyed faster than it can be created? To understand how CFCs destroy ozone is a matter of basic stoichiometry. Anyone who paid attention in their first year chemistry course would be able to verify this for themselves. So for it to be a conspiracy - there would have to be a few hundred million people in on it.

This is honestly getting ludicrous how many self-declared experts on ATS are trying to stroke their own egos by misleading everyone else with some oversimplified, superficial, cherry-picked jargon that amounts to nothing more than a declaration on how much smarter you think you are than basic science.

For those of you starring these posts - I have a simple experiment you can do yourselves. Next time all those evil lying scientists tell you there's a high UV index where you live: go outside without any sunscreen on and see how fast your skin fries. Is your own body in on the conspiracy too?

edit on 15-10-2010 by mc_squared because: to fix my link that I forgot to put in

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mc_squared
To try and imply that ozone (O3) and oxygen (O2) are the same thing because they're both made out of oxygen atoms is like saying that water (H2O) and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) are virtually identical.

That about covers it really. The rest of the Ozone depletion nonsense is the same as those saying cow patties are causing global warming.

edit on 15-10-2010 by zorgon because: Classified

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

That covers nothing. That diagram is oversimplified garbage. 90% of atmospheric ozone is found in the stratosphere, so it hardly falls back down to Earth and "cleans it" on the way. But I can't wait to see the 36 more stars you'll get just for reposting this nonsense.

Keep denying ignorance ATS

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I wouldn't trust the UN if they told me the sky is blue. These are the same people that said Global Warming is Unstoppable and Humans are to Blame.

The UN. What a joke. Waste of time, money and effort.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I can't help but think that increasing Ozone levels are a good thing overall, regardless of why it is occurring. It's amazing how quickly the Earth recovers from things...... I tend to see that as another piece of evidence for the Gaia hypothesis.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
It was the un that made this all possible right? O MY THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR SAVING US!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join