It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dallas PD Cleaning Up It's Act (fires 5 officers)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Finally, a positive police story; or, at least, a dark one with a white lining.

In an effort to calm relations between the police department and concerned citizens, Dallas Police Chief David Brown has fired and additional 5 police officers after "fast tracking" their review board hearings. On the heels of the highly publicized brutality case in which officers beat a motorcyclist during a traffic stop. These recent firings were unrelated to the motorcyclist case, but were necessary to set things right in the community. According to Chief Brown, more hearings are to come in the immediate future.

• Officer Dwight Govan, who was arrested on drunken driving charges Jan. 26, 2008. He was also involved in an off-duty disturbance in Addison that led to a police response and later lied to Internal Affairs investigators.

• Officer Keith Ashley, who was accused of inappropriate conduct with a woman in his patrol car Nov. 24 and numerous other policy violations.

• Officer Tayana McElrath, who is accused of numerous policy violations in March, including being absent without leave for three days, lying about being sick, lying to Internal Affairs investigators and conducting private business while off-duty and in uniform.

• Officer Daniel Babb, who is accused of shoving a man to the ground in an on-duty incident that led to criminal charges against him and lying about it in a report.

• Senior Cpl. David Aguilar, who was arrested by Plano police for drunken driving and failure to stop and render aid in August 2009.

SOURCE: www.dallasnews.com...

Additional source: crimeblog.dallasnews.com...

I am pleased to see this type of response form the Dallas police. I can only hope that more police departments follow this example of proper justice, rather than continuing to perpetuate the "cover for your buddy" system.

Anyhow, I figured I would share a positive story, since there is so many negative police stories on ATS (admittedly I am guilty of participating in).

edit on 20-9-2010 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-9-2010 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I'm guilty of the bad cop story, although I have decided to only go after the actual displays by departments rather then the individual.

It appears we agree on the LEO, all are suspect, but when they show a genuine concern, them they get my support 100%.

Reading about this man, I see that we actually grew up in the same part of Dallas (oak cliff) at the same time in the 70's and I will say it wasn't a nice place for a black man from what I remember. I also see that he's not a media whore, the worst kind of cop in my opinion. He went from patrol, to swat, to IA and now the Chief, and it appears he is using that knowledge to clean up the DPD. Good find S&F

On a side note: I find it odd your an aggie!
edit on 30-7-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Again, not a single ATS LEO has ANYTHING to say?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
From an ATS LEO...GOOD fire them!! They only make everyone else look bad.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOMALY502
From an ATS LEO...GOOD fire them!! They only make everyone else look bad.
Thanks for stepping up. Star to ya

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

In my opinion, the firing of these officers does nothing to portray the Dallas Police Dept. in a more positive light. The very nature of the violations these cops committed in the past should have resulted in their termination long before now. A cop who is proven to have lied (especially when there is proof that is documented by his department) is nothing less than a liability from that day forward. Defense attorneys who get wind of such information will have a field day destroying a cop's credibility on the stand and their clients will stand a good chance of walking. Mark Fuhrman in O.J. Simpson's case comes to mind.

I mean, most of the cops in this article have more than one documented incident of lying. In many agencies, just one could be cause for termination. This makes me wonder how many other cops Dallas allows to work the streets with similar violations in their history who haven't been fired simply because they haven't been caught ENOUGH times!

Way to put yourself under the radar even more, Dallas!

edit on 1-8-2011 by NightGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy
reply to post by Aggie Man

In my opinion, the firing of these officers does nothing to portray the Dallas Police Dept. in a more positive light.

Way to put yourself under the radar even more, Dallas!

edit on 1-8-2011 by NightGypsy because: (no reason given)

A little bit of credit should goto the new Chief who fast tracked these cases, and in another post, he is disobeying a judges order to return a cop to the street

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 1-8-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam

I also see that he's not a media whore, the worst kind of cop in my opinion. He went from patrol, to swat, to IA and now the Chief, and it appears he is using that knowledge to clean up the DPD.

NuroSlam, you are correct, and I should have added in my previous post that this act by a new chief IS a positive step in the sense that it will develop trust within the community, and it sends a message to other cops about the way unethical behavior will be handled the future.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

In my opinion, the firing of these officers does nothing to portray the Dallas Police Dept. in a more positive light.

...a little bit is better than nada...

The very nature of the violations these cops committed in the past should have resulted in their termination long before now.

...yep, in a perfect world...

This makes me wonder how many other cops Dallas allows to work the streets with similar violations in their history who haven't been fired simply because they haven't been caught ENOUGH times!

...i dont wonder about that... its just sop... lots of reasons why its, uh, overlooked but i think the most prevalent one is the perception that theres not enough cops and too many criminals...

...besides, its not like cops are high on the national pay scale... in that regard they're kinda like a lot of public school teachers - expected to work miracles with the dysfuntional but no one wants to pay them a decent salary (unless they're football coaches)...

new topics

top topics

join