It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astrological scene found on Egyptian tomb ceiling: (ineresting)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Brightly painted astrological scenes have emerged on the ceiling of an ancient Egyptian tomb, according to a statement released on Wednesday by the Supreme Council of Antiquities.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e57978a4d5ca.jpg[/atsimg]

The scenes, which include a depiction of the sky goddess Nut, have been found in the burial chamber of a Nubian priest in the el-Asasif area on the west bank of Luxor. The room is in very good condition and contains beautiful painted scenes in vivid colors. Blue and yellow dominate the ceiling, as the goddess Nut welcomes with raised arms the body of the deceased.

Source: www.msnbc.msn.com...

Again, more that meets the eyes. A lot is left to the imagination but I tend to agree in whtat is being stated. They must have watched the stars back then, like we do television today. Only natural to paint it alos-as they saw it.

I would think there would be more about aliens/Ufo's-if then existed in their world(s). Thoughts?

Pterry neat though, when you think about it in depth.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I think you mean Astornomical, not astrological.
The Egyptions were keen observers of the sky, as were almost all ancient peoples.
It was their calendar, told them when to plant, harvest, when the floods came and marked the passage of time.
Plus the religious signifigance of the heavens.
Hardly breaking news!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Look a bit like starfish, to me. they are on a blue background. maybe it was starfish, and painted because they too look like stars..

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger

"Astrological scene found on Egyptian tomb ceiling" is the title of the article, link included in the Introduction by OP.

Definition of ASTROLOGY
1archaic : astronomy
2: the divination of the supposed influences of the stars and planets on human affairs and terrestrial events by their positions and aspects
Merriam-Webster ASTROLOGY

Astrological referes to the supposed influences of the stars and planets on human affairs and terrestrial events by their positions and aspects. Sort of like a sign from the heavens telling people when to plant, harvest, when the floods came, and helped mark the passage of time through whatever time is passing through.

Astornomical, on the other hand, is not even a word.

The Egyptions were keen observers of the sky, as were almost all ancient peoples.
It was their calendar, told them when to plant, harvest, when the floods came and marked the passage of time.
Plus the religious signifigance of the heavens.
Hardly breaking news!

Truly un-flameworthy

OP, thanks for sharing,

et

edit on 20-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: To state the obvious in multiple ways for the unthinking.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
The scenes, which include a depiction of the sky goddess Nut...

Now, THAT's not nice. She may be a perfectly sane sky goddess.

edit on Mon Sep 20 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

He was right, "astronomical" is more accurate than "astrological". His point was that we've known for centuries that the ancient Egyptians were fanatical skywatchers and based fundamental parts of their culture around the positions of the stars and planets. Astrology is the belief that these have "physical", direct effects upon our planet. The ancient Egyptians didn't believe that in the slightest - they merely used them as calendars. That's astronomy.

I don't think he was flaming at all, just giving a bit of historical context.

edit on 20-9-2010 by Son of Will because: clarification

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I meant astronomical.
Big deal a typo!
Jeeez!

So who's flaming?

edit on 20-9-2010 by OldDragger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will

He was right, "astronomical" is more accurate than "astrological". His point was that we've known for centuries that the ancient Egyptians were fanatical skywatchers and based fundamental parts of their culture around the positions of the stars and planets. Astrology is the belief that these have "physical", direct effects upon our planet. The ancient Egyptians didn't believe that in the slightest - they merely used them as calendars. That's astronomy.

I don't think he was flaming at all, just giving a bit of historical context.

No, he was not right. He was wrong. SOURCE: THE TITLE OF THE ARTICLE

Had the Ancient Egyptians been studying the chemical and physical properties of the stars, he would have been correct.

**Definition of ASTRONOMICAL
1: of or relating to astronomy
2: enormously or inconceivably large or great
astronomical

**Definition of ASTRONOMY
: the study of objects and matter outside the earth's atmosphere and of their physical and chemical properties.
astronomy

**Definition of ASTROLOGY
1: archaic : astronomy
2: the divination of the supposed influences of the stars and planets on human affairs and terrestrial events by their positions and aspects

If your argument is that the Ancient Egyptions were studying matter outside the earth's atmosphere AND of their physical AND chemical properties, then maybe you are a proponent of the Ancient Astronaut Theory.

Your whole point is moot due to the fact that the title comes from the source material of the article written by scientists.

et

edit on 20-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: add something

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Great thread ruined by semantics.
Cheers guys, way to make ATS a wonderful place.

OT: I don't think these represent UFO's, I could be wrong, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Nice find.
The colors are in great condition considering their age.
I hadn't thought about ancient stargazing in quite the terms you mentioned -- I guess it would be sort of like us watching TV in a way...

@E. T. Do you think it is really necessary to keep hijacking threads to talk about your ideas of semantics?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

@E. T. Do you think it is really necessary to keep hijacking threads to talk about your ideas of semantics?

Originally posted by OldDragger

i'm sorry, what were you saying Chamberf?

peace,
et

edit on 20-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I doubt the stars or Nut are meant to represent ufos or aliens. All in all, though, it is still interesting. Those depictions of the stars look really familiar, like I have seen them in photos of other tombs...
@ET: you prove my point about hijacking--at least continuing to derail.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

the very first post, the very first sentence was about semantics. Your double standard and bias is showing. As for derailing this thread, you have requested I never u2u you again, so I reply in kind. You asked me a question. I answered the question.

-et

edit on 20-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
MOD REMINDER:

The topic of this thread is: Astrological scene found on Egyptian tomb ceiling: (ineresting) NOT other members. Any further posts discussing other members will be actioned.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Nice tomb paintings, can't wait till they uncover the ancient library's stolen Egyptian books.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
here are some pictures of star formations from another location in Egypt:

Link to source of pictures
Stars on ceiling of KV43

Chamber I of KV43 showing Thutmes receiving life from the Gods - Hathor, Anubis, Hathor, Osiris, Hathor (from left to right)

edit on 20-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: fix something

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
I doubt the stars or Nut are meant to represent ufos or aliens. All in all, though, it is still interesting. Those depictions of the stars look really familiar, like I have seen them in photos of other tombs...

You're correct. This same type of star (patterned 5 point stars in a regular pattern) occur in several tombs and chapels.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Meh...they are obviously

Chinese Lanterns!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
I would think there would be more about aliens/Ufo's-if then existed in their world(s). Thoughts?

If you accept the theory that 'gods' and various beings in Egyptian mythology were beings of extraterrestial origin, then aliens and UFOs are everywhere in abundance.

Check your egyptology. Start with the beginning of the Egyptian creation myths, the Zep Tepi (first time), a golden age when gods descended from the sky in flying 'boats', mixed with humans together with half-divine offspring of gods and humans. Then work yourself forward...

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Heliocentric

Expanding a little more about what Heliocentric mentions concerning Zep Tepi (The First Time)....
This has something to do with the stars and theories about the relationship Ancient Egyptians had with them.
Here is youtube video including views from Robert Bauval about Zep Tepi (The First Time):

top topics

<<   2 >>

join