It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the digital switch over and haarp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
in the uk all analogue tv and radio is due to be replaced by digital but the government is very vague as to what the uhf tv and fm band radio will be used for ....the idea of haarp comes to mind

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
That has recently been done ion the US, under the guise that the old bands will be used for police fire emergency channels. So far it hasn't meant doom. you just need to buy a cheesey little box to watch tv on.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dashdespatch

how? if the old radiowaves never effected the weather before, how will they do it with the same frequencys?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
i guess its the case of what what they could transmit on these bands

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I heard, second hand pub talk kind of heard that it was something to do with freeing up more space for mobile communications.

Could probably google it to see, but I'm off to the pub again.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

sounds like a good plan!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Yeah. space on the radio spectrum (cell phones, wifi, etc) has become very lucrative. The digital switchover freed up lots of space (and lots of $).

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Just think of it as an upgrade to the illuminati box sitting in your living room..
and this i guess is my 2nd line.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...
"Just TV or Military Weapon?"

You might find something of interest here.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
If you wanted to broadcast some secret radio waves to achieve some nefarious goal then why would you choose a system that more or less every home in the UK can hear using a receiver that they already have. It hardly seems the most secure option

Unless of course they are going to collect up everyones old radios

edit on 20-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
why would anybody keep an old radio or tv that does not work? oh of course to listen in to emergency and police messages? can you really do that in the states?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge

sorry did not realise this had already happened in the united states its the same here i always wonderd why digital converter boxes were so cheap i feel somthing is going on but what.?

they are forcing everbody to go digital but they wont say what uhf and fm are going to be used for
surely if it is for police/emergency services they would be more secure over an encrypted digital system

ho hum

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

People keep loads of stuff that doesn't work in their attics / basements etc, you can go and buy a Logi Beard system TV from an antiques market, it's never going to pick up a signal but people still want them.
People collect old radios from the 30's 40's 50's and 60's there not just going to throw their collection away because you cant get a signal, or stop collecting other examples

edit on 20-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

fair point but they wont switch them on why would they ..to listen to crackle? my point is these bands that used to transmit millions of pounds/euros/dollarsworth of broardcasting will just be used for the odd fire brigade message

maybe.. i dont think so

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
As had been stated by others. It frees up bandwidth for any number of low power applications, but they all have one thing in common. The government will make $billion$ in whatever currency you want to use. These newly released frequencies will be highly regulated to maximize profit.

The old system of analog TV was a band width hog spread across several bands. Digital TV has much narrower band width usage.

The police use various systems for broadcasting from basically a data link for text based applications to digital modes for voice. Some of the high end scanners will receive APCO-25, but you need to check the legality of owning something like this in your area.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Another thing that I hadn't considered is that there a literally hundreds of Pirate radio stations in London broadcasting on FM with low powered transmitters from their homes. The police do sometimes try to shut them down but without much success, If I drive through Tottenham I can't actually receive a number of legit stations because of pirates using the same frequency.

I doubt that they are going to switch to digital

new topics

top topics

join