It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Recession is OVER - huh?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I was doing some work at my desk, had CNN on in the background humming lightly..lady gaga doing something in Maine, etc...fairly eventless day, then they started speaking about the economy for a quick session, saying that now the recession is over, what are your plans (paraphrasing). Big banner at the bottom saying "Recession over" and something about how its been declared over now.

I am all for optimistic news, but there is a difference between optimism and delusion..have I changed realities or have the news lost their mind?

Now, here is the article that they are going on about.
CNNMONEY

Appearantly, it ended in june of 2009 (wish someone would have told the rest of the US)

Definitions of recession on the Web:

the state of the economy declines; a widespread decline in the GDP and employment and trade lasting from six months to a year

So great, the GDP is up, but the employment is dismal at best...

Does recessions, as obviously defined now, even effect the working man or is it simply a stock broker issue? Seems this is horrible for us little people..if stocks go down, people lose jobs...if stocks go up...well, people still have lost their jobs, but a few people make a pretty penny. This whole event feels less like a collective struggle and more like a lashing from the top towards the middle and low income Americans.

incidently, off subject...Gold did really really well for itself...Congrats conservatives for that mini bubble.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Blast, I type too slow

duplicate thread HERE: LINK

If you want to discuss the conspiracy of this whole supression being all about overvaluing gold, we can do that...otherwise, lets use that thread for grumbling.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

All the guys over at Zero Hedge are laughing their ass off about this hahha.

What a joke.

In other news, gold just hit a new all time high and the S&P priced in gold is down 12.5% for the year.

edit on 20-9-2010 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
WEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! This is cool I am glad the employment numbers show the same lets take a look..

Unemplyment Statistics..

Prior to 2000 Dec 1999 we had a 3.8 unemployment rate. Today we have a 9.6 unemployment rate..

Yep Definitely out of the recession.. So me the Jobs....

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Hey Saturn, Yea I wonder what the Government is thinking on this one... You know millions of Americans just slammed there heads into there hands saying WTF!!!!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

Hey Saturn, Yea I wonder what the Government is thinking on this one... You know millions of Americans just slammed there heads into there hands saying WTF!!!!

As I mentioned on a related thread, this is all about attempting to make it look like the dems have "fixed" the economy just in time for the November elections.

Hopefully, the voters will prove to be not as dumb as the elitist libs pushing this strategy must think they are..

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

As I mentioned on a related thread, this is all about attempting to make it look like the dems have "fixed" the economy just in time for the November elections.

Hopefully, the voters will prove to be not as dumb as the elitist libs pushing this strategy must think they are..

Actually, this is not a dem/rep/any political party issue.
Its a financial definition that it appears nobody truely understands what it means. yes, any administration currently in charge will be hammered for this definition, but its not like they made it anyhow...

I think this reflects more our economic model and how completely detatched it is from the reality of the situation in how it effects the people of the nation more than anything.

Suddenly it shows itself for what it is...how to gauge the richest of the rich.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Sure it is! I saw it on the TV! Its been over since mid-2009. Now that the TV said so, we can all start living it up again. Those 10-15% of you that still don't have jobs, you just haven't been listening. Now that the TV told you it is ok, you can go get a job again. Those of you going through foreclosure, send this story to your banks, maybe they haven't heard. I'm sure they'll give you another couple of months to get used to this new "recovery" that we are in. Those of you that have taken jobs that pay half of what you are used to, talk to your boss, tell them to turn on CNN, they'll see that the recession is over, and I'm sure they'll go ahead and up your wages to what you are used to. All of you that closed your small businesses, open them back up! Should be no problem now that the recession is over!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
markets are in full retard today

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

yup look at gold when you want to see if the recession is over

gold is the leading indicator not what some talking head or obama admin says.

or you can go over to your neigbors house if he still has one and ask him if he still has a job.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Obama feeds the sheep yet again......
When this all blows up it's going to be a grand show.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
yeah i heard something liek that on the raidio today and just burst out laughing i just wonder if they mean the recession is over for teh rich

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
you need to be told when the 'recession' is over?
you were lied to from the start

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG
yeah i heard something liek that on the raidio today and just burst out laughing i just wonder if they mean the recession is over for teh rich

-smacks you with a dictionary-

or in your speak:

smaks u wif a dickshunarey

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The definition of a recession ending is that things are no longer sliding downhill. It has turned around, though at delieriously and painfully slow pace. They admit that. They use the same indicators that they have used for dozens of recessions before.
And they admitted this was the Great Recession. (hey, i coinded that term! giggles) and it has been the longest and deepest since the Depression. Which is probably why it is so painful.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Yep, these headlines gave me my great big belly laugh for the day.

Bwa-ha-ha-ha!! Oh wait, you're not joking? Seriously? Are these the same economists for who every increase in the jobless rate, every decrease in housing sales, every predictable change in the economy was "unexpected"? The Romers of economics?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Elections are coming up in Nov. and the democrats must put a spin on the recession that it has been over since the ladder part of 2009. LOL Since the democrats do not read when they vote on a bill they figure the public does not read either and will believe anything the democrats spew out of their mouths or write about whether it is true or not about the recession being over.

Spend and more government, spend and more government who cares if it cost millions of dollars to create one job it is only money we will print more and when that is gone we will print more and more and more. Folks close your eyes and when I count to 3 you may open your eyes but in the mean time keep your eyes closed remember there never was a recession keep repeating there never was a recession. One, two, three open your eyes don't you feel better that the recession has been over since 2009. ^Y^

edit on 20-9-2010 by amari because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

You know what, I'm with you on this one!!! WOW, I mean just WOW!
I beleive that this kind of thing was actually cited as happening just before the major crash or something, by very learned economists, These "Numbers" are the beginning of the end folks, so don't break out the champagne yet!

new topics

top topics

join