It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The biggest bangs in history

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Hi All

Found this and thought I'd share

The colossal Toba supervolcanic eruption 74,000 years ago was big – but not the biggest in Earth's history. Here's a rundown from 'New Scientist' of chart-topping blasts from the past.

New Scientist

Peace..

Rock Ape

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Rock Ape

Hi Rock Ape,

Many thanks for the great post - I had never heard of the La Garita caldera - really interesting especially as it is slightly more accessible than some of the the others. S&F.

Peace!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

The biggest bangs

And here I came to this thread expecting to see something like this. Well, my mistake. Carry on.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
If only talking about the biggest bangs in history was not inappropriate. I don't know if I can mention the names of the movies featuring the biggest bangs I've seen while alone.

edit on 20-9-2010 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Great article!

Really shows us how small we really are.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
what was wrong with Krakatoa?

i love this one.

loudest sound anyone ever heard!

www.time.com...

that's a big bang!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Great post. It really makes one realize just ho powerful Mother Nature can be when she gets angry. Some of those eruptions must have been quite a sigh to see.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Go taupo! It's always a mind blower explaining to travellers what the 'hole' in the middle of the north island is from. 'No it's not a lake' hehehe. Standing next to the caldera makes you respect the earth for what it is, a temporary home which can send you off on a journey if it chooses!

Cheers op

edit: ps when travelling around new zealand the taupo ash layer can be seen all over the place in exposed road cuttings etc, phenominal really. Chinese and greeks recorded it as well from memory.

reply to post by LordBucket

a good mates sister has a fringe like that. She's also stunning, so I can't hassle her too much about it ;P

edit on 20/9/10 by GhostR1der because: (no reason given)

top topics

join