It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim women protest against push to ban burka in Australia

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by q_ball

This is a clear attack on our liberties. People should be able to wear what they want and this is clear discrimination. If they can regulate this, they can regulate people who have piercings in their noses or all over their faces, tatoos, they type of eccentric hair they have and any thing else they see fit. I love also how they call any activist group ''hard lined'...Absoluate propagated rubbish!

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

But I'm not allowed to display a Union Jack flag on my property when England are playing in the world cup for fear it may cause offence to other religions/minorities living in my country?

Double standards...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I dislike the burka immensely , but it is more what it represents in Australia. The religion in its primative form does not belong here. A lot of the new converts to the faith are wearing the burqa more than the long time muslim residents in Australia who do not come from this rise of fanatical dogma religion part of islam.

Trouble is , if you ban one form of cultral dress then that leads the way open for any other form, like the lovely saris of an Indian lady or dread locks of the tribal peoples.

I think our problem with the Burqa could more be address by not faciltating this insane immigration of Muslims into Australia. That faith is not going to lead to anything good here , only trouble . The islamic form of the faith practised here is not the cultrally enlightened form of ages past, that the ladies are parrotting in their speeches. If it was you would not have their men raping Australian women and being the drug bosses here..

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

As far as straight out facts goes , this is spot on. When in Rome .. So many western women have dress appropriately in Islamic nations. I would never step foot in one , but hey dont have to , all I have to do is wait long enough here or go to sydney.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

Actually you are right, in many federal buildings in the US you are not allowed to wear, dark glasses, masks, hoods or anything that interfere with the recognition of your face.

That means burkas will be violating those rules in the US in Federal buildings.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
The second issue seems to be one of womens rights and the feeling that the Burka is a sign of repression of women.
I have to say that I think this is a bit of a red herring, The Muslim texts prescribe dress codes for men as well as women, although the mens code is less strict, take a look at these images of Muslim men

Your pictures in no way reflect Islam law. In Islam, men are only obligated to cover themselves from waist to knee. The fact that some cover more is irelevant. There is no country where such clothing as they wear in your pics is forced on Muslim males.

You will notice that they are almost wearing the same thing as women do, loose fitting, modest, heads covered, they don't have their face covered but most have full beards and mustaches. It's not as if the women are forced to wear a full veil while the men run around in Speedos with bare chests.

Funny you should say that. I've seen plenty of Muslim men at the beach in tight bathers while their women are completely covered. They are more interested in controlling their women than following Islamic practises themselves.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

I wonder if they realize they could have the best of both worlds if they went back to their country of origin. Sharia law AND all the burka wearing they want!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
reply to post by marg6043

Maybe so but I would still be interested in hearing from somebody with knowledge of Islam and Sharia Law to explain this. If it is not Islam that instructs women to wear the burka, then what else could it be aside from Sharia Law? It makes little sense. Maybe I am overlooking something?

Muslim men.
I know quite a few Muslims, and they are being put under pressure from their husbands, fathers, to completely cover up. One girl used to always take a backpack, so when she was far enough from home she could slip her burka into it.

Muslim leaders in Australia have worked hard to inflame Muslims against Westerners, and made them feel at liberty to commit rape whenever they can get away with it. The worse they treat Australian women, the more determined they are to keep every inch of their own woman well hidden.

There used to be nice Muslims here. However it's got so bad I'd love to see every Muslim man who hates our society deported.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Does anybody of you have the courage to ask a burqa-lady on the street
for the time or a direction ? Wouldn´t you somehow feel inhibited ?

Running about disguised is for me an indication that their marriages
must be pre-arranged for lack of any eligible male. Are pre-arranged
marriages allowed under your constitution ?

Islam does not permit a Muslima to marry an infidel. She would face
a death sentence in a Sharia-country. So she is excluded from inte-
gration in Australia.

A burqa-lady can break the code of decency by scrutinizing our
handsome males from behind slits longer than their unveiled
species.

They are a safety-hazard walking in traffic, because they don´t see
enough.

They are unsuited for artificial mouth-to-mouth respiration in case of
an accident, not to mention the possible reprisals from the family for
that blasphemous act.

Why do you say you need a ban, if you already have an anti-disguise
law ? Does it not cover the burqa ?

Germany and Luxembourg have anti-disguise laws which also, like in
France, would make wearers of masquerade liable for fines. Once the
burqas are getting a problem they are going to dig those laws up to
stop them. Carnival costumes are restricted only to Carnival time.
Many a mask in that week has staged a bank robbery.

Women veiling themselves up deprive themselves of healthy sun rays,
giving birth to underweight children for lack of vitamin D. Would that be
in the interest of the social security solidarity ?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

Get some sense man.

This is NOT a holy war. We the US do not act as a religious entity, and Islam is not at war with us. I know many islamic people who love this country and it's religious freedoms.

Let a couple of camel lovers have their war. We'll shoot them, and the rest of Islam can show that they are good people. And anyone that wants to keep fighting this war will also be shot. Simple.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
You all in European countries can do what you want..

But I would fight this tooth and nail in the US.

That'sall. You can all choose to favor opression if you wish, but sooner or later it will bite you in the ass.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by q_ball

This is a clear attack on our liberties. People should be able to wear what they want and this is clear discrimination. If they can regulate this, they can regulate people who have piercings in their noses or all over their faces, tatoos, they type of eccentric hair they have and any thing else they see fit. I love also how they call any activist group ''hard lined'...Absoluate propagated rubbish!

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

Do you consider it a serious attack on your liberties that western women have to cover up their arms and head when in a Muslim country?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I feel I have the right to see the face of someone I am interacting with. That is my cultural inheritance and I want to keep it.

There are some places where hoodies are banned for security reasons. I feel the same about burkas, and I see absolutely no reason why an exception should be made.

Some tribal people of the world live naked, or almost totally naked. That would not be acceptable in many Western cultures, neither is the burka.

If women want to wear the burka, I believe they should go and live in those countries where it is the cultural norm.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
You all in European countries can do what you want..

But I would fight this tooth and nail in the US.

That'sall. You can all choose to favor opression if you wish, but sooner or later it will bite you in the ass.

You state that it is oppression as though that is a given fact. That doesn't allow for other perspectives. . I don't favor oppression, neither do I favor the burka.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
It seems that manypeople here just see what they want.

Let me clarify for you,

A Ban on the burka would be a greater ban on every ones freedoms. As I said, before you know it, they will ban what ever they like..such as facial piercings, tattoos and any other dress codes.

Dont you see it, its for the greater good. Once the flood gates are opened there is no telling how far they will regulate.

edit on 20-9-2010 by q_ball because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

That kailassa is due to the fact that Islam laws are Islam laws and once a person is converted into Islam they have to obey and follow Islamic law and that's indoctrinated on them, no matter if the Islam believer is in an Islam country or a foreign country Islam doesn't have denominations and it doesn't have branched into a more nicer Islam version, Is all about domination by conversion, hate and intolerance, just because many doesn't see this happening around them it doesn't mean is not happening is just behind closed doors for now, at least in the US.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Well I'm sure that the mini skirt is banned in Islamic countries so it all evens out in the end Ooze! No mini-skirts in Islamic countries and no burqas in Western countries. Fair is fair right. Muslims can't have it both ways.

IRM

This is not about Islamic countries, this is about Australia..

Supposed Islamic countries can do what ever they want, they are controlled by Western puppets anyways, for you to allow this fornication on freedom because of what Islamic countries are up to, is really demeaning to the freedom Westerners have been bragging about for the past 9 years. That terrorists are coming to destroy their freedom lol..

Then again, if you want to become more like the people you hate, I don't mind, I'm happy for you, I'm a Muslim too you know.. Next thing you know, you will ask women to not cover their hands and feet, and next thing you know, your extremists will beat up women who don't wear mini-skirts, bikinis and bras in public lol

You get where I'm going with this? This is freedom VS totalitarianism, freedom in my book will always win.

If you force people to live against their wishes, the society will eventually collapse, because there is no line to be drawn.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MAC269
reply to post by q_ball

Dear q_ball

Despite Obama declaring last week that we are not at war with Islam he is wrong.

They are at war with you.

1. What * ever * happened to freedom of religion? I thought Australia might practice that rule of freedom, seeing as how they're one of the friendliest countries in the world.

2. Maybe... just *maybe * Muslim women, most notably the Sunis, actually * like * their religion.

3. Most of us agree 9/11 was an inside job... with a false premise for war with all middle eastern nation for treaties, oil, and other hidden agendas. Exactly when did this become a war on Islam? When some Christian fanatic proposed to burn 200 Korans and it made the news EVERYWHERE. Why? Because it's part of the control. Split Chrisianity and Islam, the two most powerful religions on Earth, and they can't uncover the truth and work against the system because they'll be too busy fighting each other instead. It's all part of the plan... They've got you too, huh?

edit on 9/20/10 by ohsnaptruth because: spelling

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by SeventhSeal

Actually you are right, in many federal buildings in the US you are not allowed to wear, dark glasses, masks, hoods or anything that interfere with the recognition of your face.

That means burkas will be violating those rules in the US in Federal buildings.

It's true. It's the same thing as a mask, religious or not. Live by the rules or get out. Simple as that.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

you're being deceptive according to my understanding...

wasn't THAT the older news story before it developed into "ban the burka WITHIN COURTROOMS"????

pretty sure it was.

And pretty sure it equated to the jury not being able to judge a persons character from their facial reactions to things said, which is not discrimination whatsoever.

Seems to me you are causing trouble over nothing for the sake of causing trouble.

-B.M

edit on 20/9/10 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Seeker

In my opinion that's what makes countries such as Australia and the USA such attractive destinations,
the fact you can go there and be free without the fear of extreme and restrictive laws.

I hear a lot of applause for these countries while condemning less liberal locations for restrictive, inhibitory laws.
For a citizen of a comparatively free country to proclaim that foreign citizens should respect the new countries traditions in every regard and have no legal alternative is ironic.
When I hear that , i conclude our country should be as restrictive and unnecessarily authoritarian as the countries we condemn for being so anti freedom.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join