It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim women protest against push to ban burka in Australia

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SphinxMontreal
If you don't like the law, then maybe you should go back to a country where you do like the laws, like the trash dump you came from. Don't worry, you won't be missed.

Based on the above quote:
"Then I can't wait until they decide to ban mini-skirts" [oozyism]

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Look, I dont mind people wearing whatever they want, as long as there is no violence or terrorism involved it suits me fine. I love our country and the freedoms it provides. I love our multi-cultural melting pot.

BUT! (you knew it was coming)

In the measure of fairness, If I cant go to a service station at night, you know, the ones that wont let anyone in wearing a hoodie, cap, motor bike helmet, sunglasses, ski-mask, anything covering their face... Then neither can you!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

This isn't about a private business banning a certain type of clothing at a certain time of the day though, it is about an entire country banning a type of clothing in any place at any time

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Why pick on Australia, there are other countries that have made this illegal, yet for some reason, Aussies are getting whipped for it!! Go figure

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Seeker
reply to post by davespanners

Why pick on Australia, there are other countries that have made this illegal, yet for some reason, Aussies are getting whipped for it!! Go figure

Follow them and jump off a bridge, then when they asked you why, say because others did it, go ask them why

Not a good argument to sell unfortunately..

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

It has nothing to do with following.
As stated previously, and especially as an aussie, your NOT allowed to wear anything that covers your face when you go into banks, service stations and so on, plus its polite to remove those items.
It should not, based on this and quite a number of other factors, be acceptable for a burka to be worn in those places, and not only that they get to wear them whilst they are getting a drivers license photo or any form of ID, which leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to identification of that person by an officer or anyone trying to do their job, and it leaves it open for huge amounts of abuse, which does currently occur.
I also say again, this is Australia, if we go to other countries, we are expected to abide by their rules and laws. Same goes again in Australia, and, if we want to change our laws, and you dont like it suffer the consequences.... or leave.
I will say though, as a general rule out and about in the public, this excludes walking into any buildings, they are more than welcome to do it. I understand its a part of what they see as being important to their religion, I also think this should certainly be conditional though. There is always a compromise

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Muslim people should live in muslim countries.

They should not move into non-muslim countries and then protest that their rules are not accepted by those countries.

Muslim countries would not accept Christian rules, or any other rules.

I am tired of muslims who have found somewhere to live complaining about rules.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Its simple, if a Woman chooses to wear a towel to hide her facial identity I chose to rip it off because it offends me that someone thinks they can sneak around hiding something. Muslim women who are in my country are bound by our rules not theirs, you are privileged to walk on our soil and you must do as we say. I don't see Christians having much say in Aceh...except to have their heads chopped off for being in Muslim lands.

Next you will be asking that pork be taken off the menus, that women are to be circumsized, Public Stonings and Mecca signs to be placed up everywhere. GO back to where you come from if you don't like it here - its simple, our culture is what allowed you come here and to have a say in the first place not yours because you have fled your cesspit to come here.

www.youtube.com...

This is why I am so angry at you Muslims. We pay for you to have a decent life and you pay us back by plotting to blow us up. Total Scum.

edit on 20-9-2010 by mazzroth because: typo's

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Seeker

I understand the big brother watch, but isn't that related to crime rather than clothings?

So in order to remove crime, Australians should compromise their freedom>?

That is also not a good argument to sell. Where is the line drawn? Next thing you know, to eradicate crime completely we have chips behind our heads to show our positioning, and our identity. Wouldn't that be a better solution against crime?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mazzroth

Its simple, if a Woman chooses to wear a towel to hide her facial identity I chose to rip it off because it offends me that someone thinks they can sneak around hiding something. Muslim women who are in my country are bound by our rules not theirs, you are privileged to walk on our soil and you must do as we say

You make it sound like there are no Australian Muslims, meaning Australians, who are citizens of Australia, who were born in Australia and who are Muslim. Am I correct in my assumption?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Hi,

I live in a unmixed multi racial, multi religion Islamic country. How we deal with this burqa thing ?

The muslim stand down and accept that they have to show their faces, it is not an insult at all, but for better benefit of all party. However the showing of face stop there, the head is still allowed to be covered and all parties agreed to that matter. Those who wear burqa are subjected to open theirs when dealing with other parties, if theyre alone/walking in public its up to them.
I, livie in Islamic country, yet women wearing burqa is as hard to meet as in America, It will draw a bit of attention actually, and yet, its an Islamic country that have some state practice syariah law and hudud..

Mulims have to accept what the goverment proposed - show the face.
The goverment have to accept the Muslims - full body covering.
It should be done to provide practicality, security, a better Muslim image and lots more benefit.

I know its meant to show some aurat, but modesty is Islam way and opening a face cover is modest IMHO. Forcing to extreme in such situation would just make it worse and I believe tolerant actually the way to go.
I suggest somebody update the womens about opening their face cover (only), for their everyone benefit, all others stay though.

So, I believe in this case Muslim have to stand down and open their face cover only. Ibadah should be easy, not exaggerated like this (hope oozyism understood my standing), after all, its not an Islam country.

About negative response towards Islam, I beg you to read and learn more of our way of life instead of spreading "what I know". Reading the Islam/Muslim bashing posts, I think the poster have so much more to learn and research. There are lots of websites than can help you to see our way of life.
Please embrace our way of life with questions instead of accusations.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I see the argument has left the Topic and strayed into the "what I believe" realm.

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

In that, I agree with the people who claim that a ski mask, a motorbike helmet, etc and therefore any covering of the face means they are refused entry to secure premises. That is only pure common sense.

Anything that covers the face of an individual in an area where security cameras are in use in order to identify anyone involved in a crime - No doubt.

Anyone who is arguing against this, is not thinking clearly. And if - at the end of the day - it means a Muslim woman will not do the banking, then we can rest assured that it is not a religious edict of Islam that they wear this cover, but a personal choice and therefore expect them to ABIDE by the laws of the land in which they abide.

Otherwise, don't go to the bank, petrol station (if they're weaing a burqa, they're not driving anyway) or anywhere that prohibits the covering of the face.

None of this is an issue.

In public, in a park, you can wear a tutu and ugg boots, a bowler hat and fingerless gloves. You just look like a twit.

But where a prescribed regulation exists or where it merits FULL cooperation of the individual for participation by LAW, then... what are we arguing about?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

I understand the big brother watch, but isn't that related to crime rather than clothings?

So in order to remove crime, Australians should compromise their freedom>?

That is also not a good argument to sell. Where is the line drawn? Next thing you know, to eradicate crime completely we have chips behind our heads to show our positioning, and our identity. Wouldn't that be a better solution against crime?

There is NO agenda to ban the burqa Oozy, NONE. A religious knob and his political puppet mean nothing.

I love your ever lasting slippery slope however.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I never said agenda, I said it is related to crime rather than clothing. Why should Australians have to loose their freedom because of criminals?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Its not compromising anything! The only people that have compromised this whole thing are the extremists that have ruined it for many in the Muslim world. As always happens.
Yes it is related to security and crime, its also about politeness, its about showing to the people around you who you are and that you have nothing to hide, and being respectful of a countries laws, especially if they wish to change them (although, as pointed out there is not going to happen:
, being respectful of the fact that some Australians just dont have the view that these things should be worn at all given times, but, as I said there is a compromise.

Australians have compromised a lot over the years with regards to religious freedom, I honestly feel we are some of the most accepting with regards to this.

When to draw the line: when people can be trusted! When people understand that the person behind that Burka, has not got something to hide. A good reason too, thats why they dont allow the average Jo just to pop into a building with their faces covered!!!

Rather extreme on the Micro chipping though

edit on 20-9-2010 by The_Seeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   

reply to post by badw0lf

I never said agenda, I said it is related to crime rather than clothing. Why should Australians have to loose their freedom because of criminals?

They WONT.

Oo

No one with any power is calling for the burqa to be banned.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Paranoia VS Freedom, if you want to know what is behind that veil, next thing you want to know what is inside that house, meaning what is happening. Curiosity kills the cat.

In my book Freedom will always win.

I actually have a very different belief in regards to how we should govern ourselves, and it is not based on majority minority, it is about absolute freedom where everyone has the freedom to choose how he/she lives based on individual agreements with others.

The point is, you shouldn't allow criminals to take away your freedom. Let the criminals suffer, not the innocent people who simply want to live their lives according to their own wishes. When you force people to live in a manner which they do not wish to live, that is when societies fall apart, and that is why societies have fallen over and over and over and over again throughout history.

Nothing new, move a long, I though Australia had its own unique character.

Thanks for the discussion, help me repeat my arguments to the point where I have memorized them

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
had the damn colour just changed?

wtf?

i give up......... this is painful..

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   

reply to post by badw0lf

Because of those few extremist, as I said it always occurs. Many a religion has, as we all know, over the years had to come to some agreement or another on one subject or another.
Rather than see it as a negative, at least the Ladies could still wear the burka, if, they ban it totally like they did in France, then there is not a leg to stand on. That is why I am saying for compromise!
Yes crime happens someone ALWAYS pays, whether they are Catholic, Protestant, Buddhists or Islam. Everyone has suffered with it.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Hahaha fair enough if that is how you feel (sorta like asking for some sugar really isnt it). Not everyone is a cat though!
I absolutely agree with you, let the criminals suffer, but, as I said, we all still pay for those stooopid few.

Australia does have its own unique character, I honestly feel when it comes to religion and acceptance and tolerance of a particular culture, we are quite an accepting bunch, but, when it comes to protecting yours and ours, we need to do that in this day and age! What is so different about Australia protecting our own, just a many other countries do (at least we dont have to tolerate violent extremists here, as much as a lot of others). Who knows, when the world grows up, things could change

But as said, this is not going to happen, as Australians for some reason
, do have a conscious.

edit on 20-9-2010 by The_Seeker because: left a load of stuff in

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join