It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim women protest against push to ban burka in Australia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Muslim women protest against push to ban burka in Australia

www.news.com.au

MUSLIM women have rallied in their hundreds to oppose moves to ban the burka in Australia, condemning the push as part of an orchestrated "war on Islam" in the West.

Women swathed in veils and wielding placards declaring "my burka - conviction not coercion" and "leave my mum alone - we love nikab" gathered yesterday in a park in Punchbowl, southwestern Sydney.

The first public protest against calls to ban the veil, the rally was co-ordinated by a coalition of Muslim groups known for their oft
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
This is a clear attack on our liberties. People should be able to wear what they want and this is clear discrimination. If they can regulate this, they can regulate people who have piercings in their noses or all over their faces, tatoos, they type of eccentric hair they have and any thing else they see fit. I love also how they call any activist group ''hard lined'...Absoluate propagated rubbish!

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

i don't mind if women want to wear a bag over their heads. sometimes it simplifies things.

seriously,
what kind of reception would i get if i walked into a fast food resteraunt, or a gas station, or a bank with a ski mask on?

it is difficult to look someone in the eye when you can't see them.

it is difficult to know the expression on their face if you can't see their face.

it is just rude to hide 24/7 from people. these are some of the thoughts i entertain about this subject.

-et

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Dear q_ball

Despite Obama declaring last week that we are not at war with Islam he is wrong.

They are at war with you.

If you give these people a millimeter they will take the earth.

However I think it is good that they protest that way you can round them all up at the same time saving a lot of money and send them to some place where they will be in fashion.

Do it now later will be too late.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
If a woman or man wish to walk down the street hiding behind a sheet then so be it,
i dont see a problem but when they want to enter a place of buisness, they should
be expected to show their identifying features.
If i walk down the street in a balaclava or enter a service station with my motorcycle
helmet on im going to experience opposition, maybe even an arrest.
Ever seen a burqua clad woman try to eat in public? Absolutely rediculous!
Whats wrong with removing it for short tasks such as buisness and a quick feed?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Being an American who does like to see somebody fight the good fight, I do have to ask though. Where does this fall under the Australian Constitution? Basically I'd like to see someone do some analysis on this if they could simply because I see a lot of people go about the US Constitution the law of the land where it has no actual authority.
In simple, educate me please. I'd like to see what powers the GoA has and doesn't possess.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

Absolutely !

One of the best things about Australia is the melting pot of cultures it is, we love other cultures, but do not come here & push your ideals on us. We do not appreciate people bringing the problems from their old country to here, leave it at home or stay at home !

The main speaker at this rally was insulting our culture, at least you have the right to stand up here, so enjoy the freedom we provide. A lot of people, like couriers, were upset when the law banning motorcycle helmets etc in buildings, particularly banks, but we all got used to it.

Take the opportunity of the freedom here, get some sun on your face, the vitamin D will do you good.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
what's the difference between a burka and a kkk sheet?

both cover head to toe.

both are associated with religion, bigotry, violence, oppression,civil rights?

is it guilt by association or is it because men wore the white sheets and women wear black?
is it just for security reasons?
just asking.

mods delete if this does not belong, just a fleeting thought when reading this thread.

i miss the thread in it's first page being shown when replying.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

The head of the Lakemba-based United Muslims' Association, Shady Al Suleiman, thanked the leaders of the major political parties for their recent assurances that they would not support legislation to ban the veil, which has been advocated by Liberal senator Cory Bernardi.

Why did they even protest when they had already been assured this legislation would NOT be passed???

Seems to me they just wanted to stir up some trouble for no good reason..

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
When someone abuses the system, rules are put in place to keep order. Companies do this all the time. The workers have to obey the new rules or be terminated. A few troublesome employees ruin it for the rest. In the name of safety and order a Right must be taken away.

Burqas are too extreme in my opinion. They only represent a greedy husband who does not want other males looking upon his wife. A simple head covering is good enough to show headship respect. If Allah wanted women to be entirely covered he would have fashioned a skin burqa for all females. God gave man the ability for self-control but he expects modesty from both sexes.

It's still kind of cool to see a family where the wife and daughter wear a burqa. It reminds me of cultural diversity. On the other hand I worry if there is a terrorist plot underway. History and media have created that fear.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Until people in free countries understand this, they may not be free in the future:

"We should insist that if the immigrant who comes here does in good faith become an American and assimilates himself to us he shall be treated on an exact equality with every one else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed or birth-place or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American and nothing but an American. If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn't doing his part as an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. . . We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people." Teddy Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States
January 3, 1919

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalM
reply to post by q_ball

The head of the Lakemba-based United Muslims' Association, Shady Al Suleiman, thanked the leaders of the major political parties for their recent assurances that they would not support legislation to ban the veil, which has been advocated by Liberal senator Cory Bernardi.

Why did they even protest when they had already been assured this legislation would NOT be passed???

Seems to me they just wanted to stir up some trouble for no good reason..

This is why: Hizbut Tahrir

Hizb ut-Tahrir states its aim as unification of all Muslim nations over time in a unitary Islamic state or caliphate, headed by an elected caliph.[1] This it holds is a religious duty, "an obligation that Allah has decreed for the Muslims and commanded them to fulfill. He warned of the punishment awaiting those who neglect this duty."[14] One analyst, however,[15] quotes the work of Hizb ut-Tahrir founder Taqiuddin al-Nabhani[16] to suggest that once Hizb ut-Tahrir has succeeded in creating a unified, transnational Islamic state it should press on to expand the state into non-Muslim areas. According to al-Nabhani's work The Islamic State, Muslims abroad `should work towards turning their land where Islam is not implemented, and which [thus] considered as Dar al-Kufr into Dar al-Islam".[17]

But it's OK. No one is listening to them, right?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Except the burqa is not going to be banned in Australia.

So....

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Hizb ut-Tahrir states its aim as unification of all Muslim nations over time in a unitary Islamic state or caliphate, headed by an elected caliph.[1]

I read your link and see your point,
But Australia will never be a Muslim nation.

They can try all they like but Aussies will never put up with it..

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I think that there are two separate issues here.

The first issue seems to be about the anonymity a full face covering provides and whether that is a security concern when entering businesses etc. The only comment I can make on this is that ATS in general seems very keen on protecting peoples civil liberties, not being monitored by cameras 24/7 and generally being able to live your life doing whatever you want as long as you aren't breaking any laws.

This attitude seems to completely evaporate though when it comes to Muslim people.
I haven't noticed a spate of crimes committed by people wearing Burkas and don't really see what business it is of anyones what clothes anyone else wears be they Muslim Jew or Atheist, obviously if there was suddenly a spate of bank robberies committed by people wearing Burkas then I guess we would have to review that law but that hasn't happened

The second issue seems to be one of womens rights and the feeling that the Burka is a sign of repression of women.
I have to say that I think this is a bit of a red herring, The Muslim texts prescribe dress codes for men as well as women, although the mens code is less strict, take a look at these images of Muslim men

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cca75c12ee90.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1a8dcee9723a.jpg[/atsimg]

You will notice that they are almost wearing the same thing as women do, loose fitting, modest, heads covered, they don't have their face covered but most have full beards and mustaches. It's not as if the women are forced to wear a full veil while the men run around in Speedos with bare chests.
I think that the clothing is more to do with being modest (much the same as the Amish) then sexual repression.

As a side note, it isn't only Muslims that wear Burkas any more

In parts of Israel, several hundred ultra-orthodox Jewish women have taken to wearing the burqa to protect their chastity. This has drawn some criticism from Rabbis who wish to declare the burqa an item of sexual deviancy and ban Jewish women from wearing them.[6]

link

edit on 19-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
"The lady doth protest to much" hahah just had to add this.

Let them protest. People are free to protest. Being heard is another thing. I agree that women should be banned from wearing them in public. Not JUST because its a religious thing but.... the fashion sense is simply appalling.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Next thing you know they will be banning Pony Girls!

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
We go to your country and must RESPECT your rules or we are put to death, stoned or downright refused entry, amongst other things, you come to our country and we say enjoy yourselves, come be welcome, we dont care whom you are and what you believe, carry on as you were whilst you live here... Why cant Muslims show the same respect when they come to OUR country, we want to change our laws, its our right NOT YOURS.....
I have no issue at all with regards to how people dress due to their religion, but, as said by a previous poster, we are not allowed to wear ski masks into a shop or bank and so on, or a bike helmet or anything that covers our face. So if its good enough for the rest of Aus to do it, then the same must apply for the Burkas. You can not have a law 2 ways.... It doesnt work.
What I find amazing, after much discussion with my Police Hubby over this, is when there is a license check. There is NO WAY for an officer to completely identify a woman with a Burka over her head, she can NOT be asked to remove it, and, from what I can understand from my hubby, is that its common practice for women amongst those that wear the Burka, to swap and change licenses... Where is the justice in this.
Your in our country, like it or move I am sorry.

edit on 19-9-2010 by The_Seeker because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2010 by The_Seeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I must reiterate, there is no push to ban the burqa in Australia. The religious and political troublemakers buzzing about with this, have NO power to have this enacted. It is not happening.

The only thing recently that was about banning the burqa was in a court of law where a muslim woman was told she was to remove it when giving evidence. As the ruling went, the magistrate made it clear that this was in no way a precedent and that every case must be judged on it's own facts.

I have no idea why Hizbut Tahrir et al are making this fuss other than perhaps they're hanging on the coat tails of this ruling, but it is not the first time I've seen the agenda driven protesting mobs jump up and down at the slightest hint of anything that they disagree with, even when it turns out to be an entirely incorrect premise.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join