It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Rules...not like that

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Yeah, rules are there to stay, get over it.

You know, the "suggestion" button used to be named complaint. Why don't you use it if you have anything (staff/board related) to complain about.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
You have voted m0rbid for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Amen to that brother

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
If people were allowed to post single line threads that just said things like
etc, it would be a complete pain in the arse. Thats why I don't bother with MSN boards anymore - One message followed by twenty
's ... no thanks !

Out of interest, what would win ... An F-16 or a Fokker Triplane

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I joined on February 1st, and i loved ATS then. Topics were new, and everything fresh! Rules werent enforced, and people werent as rude, and unhappy, and hating ATS as they are now. It was great back then! Espeacially when i was a visitor here, I hardly saw anyone insulting anyone else in any posts. Also i think that the posts that get moved to the chit chat forum should have a forum of their own. For example something VS. somethiong elese, or have the chat forum on the ATS discussion form so the good to[ics can get some attention.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I haven't had the pleasure of being a member here long enough to draw a comparison of what it was like a few months ago. For my part, it was refreshing to find discussion forums such as these that were obviously well moderated, and that had rules in place. This is the most well organised board I've come across yet, & I've participated in a few.

Normally I "lurk" on a board for at least a month before I register and post. In the case of ATS, the lurking lasted about an hour.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
i've been here for a year and i love this place. I've had some great times here and when i first joined, i felt welcomed by everyone here. The rules are their to prevent racist remarks, trolls, hoaxers,etc and without them, this place wouldn't be so great. At the end of the day, we're not the staff and we really can't complain about stuff that are there for our own protection. Some of you guys have only been here for a few weeks or months, give it a year and you will know why we have rules.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bangin
Click on the warn icon and it will take you to the post in which you were warned. You deserved that one.

But.....but......he gave permission to do that! If he didn't, I would never had said that! I'm innocent I tell ya! Just like OJ Simpson!

I even added the smiley face so there'd be no mistake that I was not serious.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I cant wait to see reactions the first time someone gets "warned" for an old posting that would NOW no longer meet the rules...AKA the FCC retroactivly fining H.Stern for stuff from 3 years ago....where was enforcment then? Why now? The diffecence between then and now that delayed fines was what?

My only serious questions about the rules is,
is there an appeal process, and how does this work? Who arbitrates appeals? (not the person flagging the foul id hope) Can transgressions ever be worked out/debt to the ATS community be repaid? Is there a time period of "GOOD" behaivior where say someone with 3 warnings could redeem themselves and get off the "death row" by losing warnings after time/service?

Yes i agree that rules are here for a purpose
just learn to play the game better by its rules, and you'll be able to get right up to the foul line without crossing it.
Become a better player of the game
or
as we pen and paper, old school RPG/War gamers used to say
bring your rules lawyer with you to the game...LOL
(Especially for Starfleet Battles!)

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I agree with the stance taken by the mods on this one. If Im looking for info on the newest secret laser guided weapon I dont want 50 "axe vs machette" "fist vs gun" "tank vs Pinto" threads before the meat of the forum. Hats off on that aspect. And as far as one liners go, if you are involved in a decent discussion, you should be able to put together a concise paragraph on any topic.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Take the wepaonry forum for example. If a certain moderator can move my post about Stealthiest Aircraft which I did not intend to be an opinion piece to Chit Chat, and keep a thread about 'Favorite machine gun', there is something wrong

df1

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Without rules ATS becomes yahoo and we all know how enjoyable it is posting on the yahoo messageboards. Will the Mods make the right decision everytime? Unlikely, nobody is perfect. But from my short time here I believe they try real hard.

My 'warn' was completely appropriate. Myself and another member both got the 'warn' for bickering in a particularly obnoxious manner. Since that time myself and the other member have had a quite harmonious u2u exchange. Both of us agreed that we were out of line.

It is real easy on a messageboard or chat room to forget that another human is on the other end of your words. I think often times the anonymous nature makes it easy to forget that fact.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
I joined on February 1st, and i loved ATS then. Topics were new, and everything fresh! Rules werent enforced, and people werent as rude, and unhappy, and hating ATS as they are now. It was great back then! Espeacially when i was a visitor here, I hardly saw anyone insulting anyone else in any posts.

Oh, the attention span of our youth

I honestly don't see much difference in the forum, except the contests and things added for the betterment of the community.
Rules were enforced.

Yeah, the good old days of SIX MONTHS ago

Please........

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
ATS isnt bad just more rules have been inforced wich i think is making people go nuts!!
. Some people (i guess) dont like rules.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Maybe more rules were needed because ATS is bigger and more people need to be reminded of the rules.
Rules which they may have never read in the first place

Also, the bigger the forum, the more trolls, etc. Like the law of averages.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Well good you see from my point of view.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by AD5673]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Soo....you DONT think ATS Rules?? Well then...you should be banished....

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Yeah, the good old days of SIX MONTHS ago

Please........

Thats exactly when I joined !
I remember the old times when THENEO was banned and pisky was a mere glint in the eye of thepook. Things were a lot better then, you young whippersnappers. (totters off with his walking stick to reminisce on the good old days)

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I would like to chime in on this discussion to point out that one liner posts are almost always better posted in a U2U than on the general discussion board. In fact I believe that about 20% of the bickering that sometimes takes place on the discussion board should be relegated to U2U messages. It is my standard that when an argument starts to develop on between myself and any other poster I will state my case with the facts and arguments at my disposal on the discussion board in one or two posts. If someone attempts to flame my posts or refute my arguments with rubbish I will address the issue with them personally with a U2U and let my original posts speak for themselves rather than try to defend my arguments that I have already clearly made via useless reassertion. I view the discussion board as a resource of information on many different subjects and do sometimes find it frustrating trying to wade through 5 to 10 opinion of the last post posts in order to get on to the meat of the situation. Now I do appreciate those posters who add a different spin or perspective to the discussion even though they may not add any new information. It is often the case though that posters simply want to chime in with atta boys and yeah me too kind of posts that should be sent in U2U format rather than cluttering up the boards with praise meant for one poster or neffarious opinions that add nothing to the discussion.

I can honestly say that I have no specific poster in mind when I write this so any poster who reads this and thinks I am pointing them out personally I am not.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperen

I mean the no one line thing seems like a good idea for people who say something like 'yeah' or 'me too' but sometimes you have to write just one line. In situations where I would have posted one line, like for thanking someone or making a comment, I feel I now have to either post another line which generally makes things go off topic or not thank or comment at all which is a shame.

If you really want to thank someone, either quote them (press the "quote" button at the top right corner of their post) or start signing your messages (like i will do at the bottom of the page). that way, it overrides the "too short" warning.

---pineapple

However, do not use this advice to over-quote or justify one-liners

(sry, had to add that to make sure no mod would get mad at me for giving "overriding the rules" advice)

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I think it's very simple. It you want to participate in this community, obey the rules and live with the staff's decisions.

If you don't like this community's rules, you have three rational choices: 1. Live with it. Life is not fair, 2. Find another board, 3. Buy and/or build your own board.

Either way, you hold the power.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join