It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Rules...not like that

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Why are there so many rules being enforced now?

I mean the no one line thing seems like a good idea for people who say something like 'yeah' or 'me too' but sometimes you have to write just one line. In situations where I would have posted one line, like for thanking someone or making a comment, I feel I now have to either post another line which generally makes things go off topic or not thank or comment at all which is a shame.

Also a lot of threads are being moved to the Chit Chat area of Below Top Secret. OK, so threads like something VS something else can get annoying, but they shouldn't end up in Chit Chat. Maybe a special section in each topic could be made for things like that.

I feel Above Top Secret is becoming too much like a game with all new rules.

When I joined ATS, which wasn't that long ago, I loved it and thought it was brilliant but now I am questioning that. It may be that the forum is getting too big and needs organising but I am not happy.

[edit on 23/6/04 by Hyperen]

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Im sure it is to make the ATS a better, and respected place. Make it know there will be no nonsence.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
yeah! I think ATS rules too!! ooops thats not what you meant.
I think that the rules are a good thing , and with a little common sence it's not too hard to not get tripped up by them.
I'm not sure if making sections within forums for different types of posts would work because I think that most members tend to use the recent posts page to view the board , and so everything would still show up anyway.
You say that you think the board should be more organised, well that is just what the ATS staff are doing when moving some threads around.
I personally think that the organisation on this site is extreamly good.

[edit on 23-6-2004 by pantha]

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Without order, there is chaos. This place would be complete anarchy without strict posting guidelines.

But hopefully, they are loose enough that they don't impede the denial of ignorance.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Hyperen, didn't you know, ATS is changing according to how the world is changing.. you know a Police State....

You didn't get your ATS hand book on what to post, how to post and when to post it ?

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I think the organisation is excellent at the moment but what I am trying to say is that a thread about 'AK VS M16' (I do not mean to mention that particular thread but can't think of a VS weapon thing that most non weaponry people would know about) or whatever, however annoying, should go in the aircraft section not Chit Chat. Chit Chat is for people wh want to chat about anything. Even though these VS threads may not be 'projects' they are usually still too serious to put in CHIT CHAT.

'Talk About Anything Really. A Place To Make Posts Of An Unrelated Nature'

On an AK VS M16 thread at least they are on about weapons, not any old nonsense.

I dont mean to advertise that thread but was only using it as an example

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
When you put a VS in it, it makes the question, opioins. Chit-chat is about chatting opioins.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Hyperen, didn't you know, ATS is changing according to how the world is changing.. you know a Police State....

Great Point, The majority of people on ATS want to Deny Ignorance, not be constantly worrying about rules.

Hope I don't get fined for one liner but there isn't much more to say right now

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
When you put a VS in it, it makes the question, opioins. Chit-chat is about chatting opioins.

There should be a place where people can chat about their opinions because weaponry is a forum on ATS and people who want to express their opinions shouldn't have to do it on Chit Chat. Chit Chat is where anyone can talk about absolutely anything. There should be a special place in the ATS forums for opinions if they don't want it in the main section.

You could have a SubForum for opinions like Multimedia Uploads in Website-Related Discussion

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Or we could just throw the chatty threads into chit chat. The forum specifically built for chatty threads.

The rules and guidelines are there to keep ATS as the high quality place that it is today. Really, how much of a struggle is it not to post 'lol' or 'me too' posts? Or to not be abusive towards other members?

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I just want to make one point here on the one liner thing.

On the Big Boards site ATS is currently ranked 616.That is because rankining is based on post number.

The number 1 site on big boards is Face The Jury

Now on the same site the traffic lists have ATS at number 4! with 21530 uniques

Face The Jury is 19 with only 4278 uniques.

Now I'm certainly not dissing FTJ which is a successful site in it's own way.I'm just pointing out the different approaches and priorities of management.

[edit on 23-6-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Hyperen, you take the concept of "One-Liner" too literally.

The act of clicking the One-Liner fine by a mod or admin is not something that we like or want to do, but there are just those occasions where common sense doesn't come into play.

We are more than happy for a user to respond with a "Thanks Joe Bloggs, you answered my question!" but when someone in a 20 or 30 reply on-going thread adds "me too" or "yeah sure" or "I don't think so", it is just pointless. On most occasions, if a person uses a one-line response, they would likely follow it up with an opinion.

Again, it's common sense on the member's part.

We need rules like this in place to keep a community as large as ours in order. With roughly 2500 posts in a 24 hour period, we have to get a bit more strict with posting rules.

As for the "VS" topics, this is something the staff have recently discussed and find to be more of a nuisance than helpful. A single on-going topic about a single subject full of useful commentary would be far better for someone looking for information.

A topic full of "this is better" or "that's a load of bull" doesn't exactly help a person who comes to that page via a search engine does it....

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
In hindsight, I realise that I have been over the top. I also was too hasty in posting but I was annoyed. I only hope you can reaccept me back into this wonderful community.

Hyperen

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
On the Big Boards site ATS is currently ranked 616.

I'm interested in knowing where you get these stats. Can you provide a link?

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Sure,You'll see a small yellow Big Boards tab at the bottom of this page.

Click that.

In hindsight, I realise that I have been over the top. I also was too hasty in posting but I was annoyed. I only hope you can reaccept me back into this wonderful community.

Hyperen

Don't be daft you weren't out of the community.It was just a question.

[edit on 23-6-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I got fined for a one liner which was really 2 lines or maybe they considered it 2 one liners.........I don't get that one

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
If we had no rules, think of all the trolls! it would be paradise for them

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The only people that dont like rules, and this is anywhere, is the person that dont want to follow them.

Me for example, I dont like the rule no pot. So I dont follow the rules. If I get caught I pay.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
*Breaks into song*

" Send in the trolls, those happy, happy trolls...."

We must keep the rules

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join