It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist is first man to be ‘infected’ by computer virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Hey A.T.S ,hope you guys are well,i found this story incredible. It seems that a guy programmed a chip to open doors in a lab’s security doors systems and to unlock his mobile phone before having it inserted under his skin.
But he also infected the implant with a virus, to prove it could be transferred as the chip and the security system wirelessly exchanged electronic data.
anyway here it is;

The results raise the possibility that in the future, increasingly advanced medical devices such as pacemakers and inner ear implants could become vulnerable to cyber attacks from other human implants.

Dr Gasson said: “Our research shows that implantable technology has developed to the point where implants are capable of communicating, storing and manipulating data.

“This means that, like mainstream computers, they can be infected by viruses and the technology will need to keep pace with this so that implants, including medical devices, can be safely used in the future.”

He stressed it is not currently thought possible to exploit medical devices such as pacemakers because they have not been analysed for flaws, but said they could theoretically be vulnerable

He said: “We do not know of any medical device that can be exploited in this way yet but we are very much on the cusp of it being possible.

i would love to hear what you guys think!! thanks for your time. The future is now!

edit on 15/8/2010 by johnny c because: dam sirians

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Oy. Hackers could possibly get into your pacemaker in the future?

I guess intelligence services would love to figure out how to do that! A world leader with a pacemaker suddenly becomes a viable target through easy assassination?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
sorry guys ,i forgot the linklink to story above

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

guess intelligence services would love to figure out how to do that! A world leader with a pacemaker suddenly becomes a viable target through easy assassination?

What a good idea babybunnies,want a job? lol
thanks for your reply

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
See, I believe most of this sort of BS (not saying story is, the act is) has to be done by some Authority. I've known hackers. Why would they want to manipulate someone pacemaker? This sounds like a scam to make people have to pay for Anti-virus programs for stuff they shouldnt have to.
I think the Anti-Virus corporations are behind the majority of viruses. And they probably get paid by the DoD.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

See, I believe most of this sort of BS (not saying story is, the act is) has to be done by some Authority. I've known hackers. Why would they want to manipulate someone pacemaker? This sounds like a scam to make people have to pay for Anti-virus programs for stuff they shouldnt have to.

star for sharpe thinking my friend!!! it never even dawned on me!!

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Haha, before I even clicked this thread I knew from the title this would be the chap from Reading University. I've been hearing about him for years, as I live local to Reading and apparently the University is a centre for cybernetic research.

He does stunts like this quite often, I think partly to prove a point and partly because he secretly wants to be Borg....

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

I think the Anti-Virus corporations are behind the majority of viruses. And they probably get paid by the DoD.
No they aren't behind most of the viruses, in fact hardly any if any. They have enough trouble reverse engineering the viruses and then programming defenses against those viruses as it is. But I agree, I don't think many hackers would be heartless enough to infect something like a pacemaker, they just do it for the thrill and for the challenge, and often for money, but they know they aren't directly hurting a person or putting that persons in life by hacking their computer (though it probably has happened).

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Star and Flag!

What horrors will technology of the future bring?

I made a thread a while a go about a Trojan Horse virus being partly responsible for a plane crash that killed 154 people.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

I made a thread a while a go about a Trojan Horse virus being partly responsible for a plane crash that killed 154 people

Yeah? sound ill have to check that out!! nice one for the reply and the star and flag

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
i learned about this technology from the borg.
i'm thinking this scientist might be on their side.

resistance is .... nevermind, maybe we have already been assimulated by flawed programming:

I'm Star Trek Capt
turn that "m" upside down and re-arrange the letters:
Patrick Stewart

yep, Patrick Stewart did play a Star Trek Capt.

neat stuff,
et

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Hey Stu thanks for the reply buddy

Haha, before I even clicked this thread I knew from the title this would be the chap from Reading University. I've been hearing about him for years, as I live local to Reading and apparently the University is a centre for cybernetic research.

Yeah?? I must have a further look at this stuff and check him out more,lol sounds interesting

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

No they aren't behind most of the viruses, in fact hardly any if any. They have enough trouble reverse engineering the viruses and then programming defenses against those viruses as it is. But I agree, I don't think many hackers would be heartless enough to infect something like a pacemaker, they just do it for the thrill and for the challenge, and often for money, but they know they aren't directly hurting a person or putting that persons in life by hacking their computer (though it probably has happened).

star for knowing what your talking about!! your post went way over my head but thanks for the reply buddy

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

I'm Star Trek Capt

haha im second in charge then mate

beem me up CAPTAIN ESO T!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Seems pretty odd, but nice piece of technology wish I could have one for opening doors and stuff, would make me feel like im using the force lol,.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join