It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robert Byrd urges whites to vote and "push for power"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by witness63
No, there never were any white slaves in the U.S.. There were white indentured servants in the 17th and 18th Centuries who were treated like slaves, but that was usually for 4-5 years. Their conditions were very bad, but they were not kept as slaves from birth like blacks born in this country, and they did have certain citizenship rights after their contracts were over that free blacks almost never had before the Civil War.

I am part-black and grew up in a predominately white rural area in South-central Pennsylvania. I can take you to quite a few old 'company towns' in that area to show you where the white slaves lived. They were Slavic, Scots, Irish and Italian. They had jobs and were paid for their work, but the only place they had to spend their money was the 'company store'. They ended up spending more on food alone than their paycheck was worth.

There were crews of ruffians that would go after men that tried to leave town while still in debt to the store, beating them and sometimes killing them.

The slaveholders were white in this case too. So were the slaves.

Much worse off than an indentured servant, these men worked, not to pay off a debt, but to get deeper in debt every day they worked. My grandfather was one of them.

edit on 20-9-2010 by butcherguy because: To add.

My first ancestors who came to America were three brothers from Scotland, all indentured servants, but they didn't stay that way. One of them even ended up going to Princeton University to become a minister and was later one of the leaders of the American Revolution. That was actually unusual to rise so far, but he did it on what was then the western frontier, where he was one of the few people who could even read and write at that time. He even ended up owning slaves while his brother became a university president.

No black slaves could ever move up in society like that.

I'm not saying the American system is all that great, either. I know it's a class system. Those Pennsylvania workers finally got smart and organized themselves against the capitalists, joined unions and supported politicians who backed the labor cause. Yes, I know the Republicans say that we don't have classes in America but history says different.

I'd say even those workers, underpaid and exploited as they were, still had a better chance than black slaves, who could never vote, never organize and could not even quit or run away. They were never allowed to do anything like that in the South until fairly recent times.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

The fact is this: If every liberal in the country disappeared today 99% of the racism in this country would disappear with them. The left has stoked the flames of racism in the United States for decades only because it encourages "minorities" to mindlessly cast their votes for liberals. What those "minorities" fail to understand is that liberals care nothing about them. They only care about making them a permanent underclass...victims who, like hungry dogs, are forced to wait for scraps to fall off the liberals dinner table for them.

The naked communist in the White House proves that point every time he opens his evil, race bating, tyrannical mouth and these comments are no exception!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

If you are talking about white slavery, I already posted an excellent link concerning that subject.

www.electricscotland.com...

And many, many blacks owned black slaves as well. A higher percentage of the black population owned slaves, than the white population! Censored history.

americancivilwar.com...

and this blacks (few, but some) owned white slaves.

..In 1651 Anthony Johnson [a negro] was given 250 acres as "head rights" for purchasing five incoming white redemptioners.

...In 1652 John Johnson, Anthony Johnson's eldest son, purchased eleven incoming white males and females, and received 550 acres adjacent to his father.

from

northwestnationalists.blogspot.com...

There is no such thing as "generally speaking" when it comes to the history of slavery. All races, guilty, all races, slaves.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
To the OP

Potus was speaking to a group of people who were black. The press identified these people as black. Fact is most black people identify themselves in a range of groupings. It is a bit like the grammatical you (Understood)....

Fact is most white presidents have been doing it to (White) leaders for years. What you are doing is making a big deal about the Cuban Cigar that Clinton was supposed to have used and built a towering edifice when the real discussion was who was on the other end of the cigar and what was done with it.

Nice try but no cigar Cuban or otherwise

edit on 20-9-2010 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

Really, I thought it was the congressional black caucus.

Could you post a link to the congressional white caucus?

Thanks. I will be waiting for the reply.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

Thanks for the links.

Yeah, I have read quite a lot of the hidden histories. The stuff they want to keep hidden. All to keep us divided and in separate, containable and controllable boxes.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by witness63
No, there never were any white slaves in the U.S.. There were white indentured servants in the 17th and 18th Centuries who were treated like slaves, but that was usually for 4-5 years. Their conditions were very bad, but they were not kept as slaves from birth like blacks born in this country, and they did have certain citizenship rights after their contracts were over that free blacks almost never had before the Civil War.

I'm a little bit sick and tired of race and slavery being used as a crutch for all the misery some folks are experiencing. There haven't been white slaves in the U.S., but many white immigrants who came here didn't have it easy just because they were white. People learn to separate each other into groups based not only race, but also on religion, and the country they come from. Back then the fact that you were white mattered only a fraction. What really mattered is whether you were Catholic or Protestant, or whether you were from Ireland or Italy, or Poland, or what dialect you were speaking, or what neighborhood you lived in. You could have had a white face, but the other white guy looked at you as if you were a dumb animal, unworthy of any attention.

Across Europe slavery was nothing out of the ordinary. There were plenty of white slaves in history. During the Roman Empire, the Romans conquered and enslaved thousands upon thousands of Slavs... (hence the word "Slave"), and yes,.... they were full-on slaves and servants. They did all the hard labor along with other races of slaves, most of them never experiencing any form of freedom such as the indentured servants of the 17th and 18th century did. Romans didn't discriminate. If they conquered your nation, they enslaved you whether you were white, black or brown.

It was common for nations to fight each other and enslave each other. Blacks were not the only culture to have ever been enslaved. The difference is that their slavery is somewhat in the recent past. For example, my country (formerly known as Czechoslovakia) was ruled by the Austro-Hungarian Empire for many centuries. It lasted up to the early 20th century. During that time Slavs were (again) oppressed by these two nations and treated like slaves. Even though Austrians, Hungarians and Slavs are white, they still hated each other and treated each other as if they were animals. Slavs were required to work on land that belonged to local Hungarian nobles, and were kept at poverty level. Hungarians required that everyone speak Hungarian, and attempted to eradicate the Slavic culture from the face of the earth. Fortunately we prevailed, but even today some Hungarians (not all) try to infiltrate our Government by getting Hungarian politicians elected. Once the Hungarians left, the Russians moved in and imposed Communism on us. It's been hundreds of years, and only for the past 19-20 years has my birth country experienced freedom where they finally govern themselves again.

Slavery is still a part of some African cultures. They still have tribal wars in which they conquer and enslave each other, sell slaves to other tribes, trade their daughters for cattle, kill each other brutally due to political or religious differences, and so forth.

My point is that race shouldn't play such a big part here. Nearly everyone on this planet has ancestors who have been enslaved at one point or another. The question is;

WHEN are people going to put it behind them and concentrate on the future?
WHAT are they going to do to overcome these obstacles?
HOW MUCH is enough to bring them to a point where they feel equal to the rest of the population?
HOW MANY years are they going to rely and feel entitled to special treatment due to the history of their ancestors?

It's clear that it is a little harder for blacks to assimilate since they're easily distinguishable from the majority of the population, but in this day and age it's time to try to work together, not keep separate.

When race "A" tries to right the wrongs of their ancestors, and race "B" continues to try to separate itself from the population via "B" pride, special "B" schools, special "B" benefits and so forth, eventually race "A" will start becoming resentful of the rejection. Some members of race "A" will start to feel discriminated against when a member of race "B" is hired for a job not because he has more experience than race "A" applicant, but because the company must fill a quota of "B" employees. When race "B" is allowed to make racist remarks about race "A", but race "A" is severely punished for making racist remarks about race "B", again a divide is formed. Standards of the law for both races must be equal, otherwise how can they coexist in peace?

It is important that all races living within the U.S. identify themselves as Americans first, and as nationalities and race second and third. If we're going to coexist, that is something we must strive for.

FINALLY I get to the OP. For the reasons I mentioned above, it is NOT O.K. for Obama to make the comments he made. By appealing to any one race group he is separating them from the rest of the country. If he appeals to one group, he must equally appeal to whites, Asians, Latinos, and anyone else I left out. Preferably he shouldn't be speaking to any one race in particular, he should be speaking to everyone in his political party which would include all races. It only seems fair, after all he is OUR President. We get jealous when he shows favoritism for any one group that isn't us (and by "us", I mean everyone else).

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
reply to post by Janky Red

How is that video I posted GOP?

I would go to the Libertarian party but they are crushed by the Dems and Repub corporate whores.

As I have said, I no longer consent, so I could care less who wins, I just would appreciate not getting thrown in jail for any of my economic or social freedoms being abrogated.

I think you explained it well enough...

Look how conservatism expresses itself when put into action by the primary conservative party.

You know what says it all... the SCOTUS decision regarding the funding of our electoral process
by fictitious entities and unions. What a stupid, stupid idea... Our government is already influenced
and corrupted endlessly by these sorts of relationships; they go ahead and make our very process
corrupt by nature of function, they actually write the corruption in there

You think about that, you want an end to the governments power

This move has ensured governments scope and power, it has ensured that management will have a direct line
in the sky to smooth out details for those who can afford it; they already control of our perception, our information and now they will fund our process.
the good part is... The bankrollers will shift their tax burden to you - So you will see more government contracts to limit you freedom, choice and privacy, YOU WILL FUND IT!!!

Do you recall the leanings of the Justices?

Do you think they do not understand they implications?

Management in America IS ALWAYS put on a pedestal, because that is how the ideology is constructed.

So you can hate government all you want, but none of you can ever do a thing about it because addressing the source that funds and controls government is against the very core tenets of your ideas.

So look at how conservatism manifested itself in this protracted conservative era- crack, incarceration rates skyrocketing, mandatory drug sentencing laws, the war on drugs - these were born of the golden era of conservatism in modern times.

All state funded projects at one level or another

Also made a hell of a lot of profit for, contractors, lawyers, pharmaceuticals -

Good for the economy too,

stimulus

edit on 20-9-2010 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

Uh huh? Well, um, keep on sleeping and wake up around november. Obama is a racists, as proven by his own words and actions time and again......I'm glad that's o.k. with you, it's not with a growing number of people. Have a nice day.

edit on 20-9-2010 by adifferentbreed because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
reply to post by tiger5

Uh huh? Well, um, keep on sleeping and wake up around november. Obama is a racists, as proven by his own words and actions time and again......I'm glad that's o.k. with you, it's not with a growing number of people. Have a nie day.

Why thank you and have a a good day too. I don't find Obama racist. Not like regan or bush. I don't like racists but I do suggest you read the papewrs to see how you are being manipulated. BTW I can't see obama getting a second termof office but things will get worse.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

It has been obvious for some time that there is a "crush white middle class" going on for some time.

I am sure Mexico, direct African roots, Radical Islam and Jewish hardliners would love nothing more! What a group alliance! Yes

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidMirage

The fact is this: If every liberal in the country disappeared today 99% of the racism in this country would disappear with them. The left has stoked the flames of racism in the United States for decades only because it encourages "minorities" to mindlessly cast their votes for liberals. What those "minorities" fail to understand is that liberals care nothing about them. They only care about making them a permanent underclass...victims who, like hungry dogs, are forced to wait for scraps to fall off the liberals dinner table for them.

What a crock, but lots of happy stars!

Minorities tend to vote liberal because liberals do not align themselves with managment...

You see most people coming from other places, come from places that have a huge disparity in wealth,
just like what GOP policies perpetuate here in America.

Conservation opposes unionization and pushing for a living wage so that people who
came from poor nations can actually survive and stay off of welfare being that they might have come
here with little education.

Maybe people noticed that the dramatic uptick in urban violence coincided with the war on drugs and things of that nature, all conservative constructs.

Maybe they hate conservatism because they are all assumed to be on welfare, sort of like your post implies...

Of course I do always hear about those dirty Swedes coming here and living off my tax payer money with their
welfare and food stamps. Or those vile Dutch Quakers who want to build a temple a block away from the NRA headquarters.

Everyone needs to know a cigar is just a cigar -

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by arizonascott

It has been obvious for some time that there is a "crush white middle class" going on for some time.

I am sure Mexico, direct African roots, Radical Islam and Jewish hardliners would love nothing more! What a group alliance! Yes

Ya, if they are all Republicans and CEO's

Got to make sure the middle class can afford those Chinese goods, so we can export more of our production
to China!!!

We need to bring the base wages down to $9.00 a day so that we can compete

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

Never thought Bill Clinton was a Republican there Janky.

Who was it that passed GATT and NAFTA?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooks

Originally posted by felonius

Originally posted by Faiol
white power, besides racism, is terrorism

black power, is just being proud

Faiol, by your name I would guess you were VERY white. Celt blood? Your trolling.

Stupid trolls should be ignored.

i was hoping he was being sarcastic.

in ATS, there are so many crazy people, that we need to let everyone knows when you are being sarcastic right?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

? Not sure what your point really is OP.

Neither the actual or altered statement is Racist as neither promotes racial domination or hatred for any other race. Groups categorize themselves by the traits that define them. Replace your Black/White with Gay/Disabled/Hispanic/Farmers/Cat Lovers/Used car salesmen. Now this doesn't mean I didn't understand what you were trying to do but its based on the false premise that when Caucasions define themselves as a group that it always must be because they want to exercise domination over other racial groups and thats not true. So let Obama rally as many Black organizations as he likes, he is not the first or the last Politican to try an mobilze a particular minorty to their favor.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

I want to thank you for posting the link, Stewie...hopefully others will read the link and realize that slavery was not a limited practice between black and white in this country.

Those who are considered "lower" in stature, despite their "color" will always be treated with racism...

Wake up, y'all...racism is just another illusion that is being used...beware the illusionist...

~holly

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Everyone knows there is only one kind of racism that matters in this country and that's white on black racism......

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
reply to post by Hefficide

Nice attempt to take out the Black Caucus component.

Yes, the story itself could be considered the problem, maybe on purpose?

But no one else could get away with it and you KNOW it.

Please tell us what the heck you think the Black Caucus is and why it exists? Do you know?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Helmkat

Well, I was mainly pointing out the blatant use of race by the MSM and the President calling for the use of Churches to push politics. Like I stated in the OP.

Also, the hypocricy of the MSM in regards to a wholly race based get together.

Funny, I wonder what the percentage of black people were there? Oh, I see, that is not a problem as long as long as they are not white. Gotcha.

Since the beginning of the call for smaller government and the Redistribution of wealth, all we have been hearing about is how white the Tea Party is. The last I heard the Tea Party was 79% white. HOLY COW!

They forget to mention that the nation is 75% white.

Bunch of racists I bet. /sarcasm

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join