It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robert Byrd urges whites to vote and "push for power"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+45 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Robert Byrd, seeking to fire up an important part of his support base ahead of November's elections, told White leaders on Saturday he wanted their support to "push the power" he was delivering.

"I need everybody here to go back to your neighborhoods, and your workplaces, to your churches, and barbershops, and beauty shops. Tell them we have more work to do. Tell them we can't wait to organize. Tell them that the time for action is now," he told the Congressional White Caucus.

The words of the White president showed a deliberate effort to recapture the enthusiasm that had helped him win the White House in 2008, after polls showed White Americans much less likely to vote than others this year.

Alright folks, what if that was the article instead of this one?

Obama urges blacks to vote and "guard the change"

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Barack Obama, seeking to fire up an important part of his support base ahead of November's elections, told black leaders on Saturday he wanted their support to "guard the change" he was delivering.

"I need everybody here to go back to your neighborhoods, and your workplaces, to your churches, and barbershops, and beauty shops. Tell them we have more work to do. Tell them we can't wait to organize. Tell them that the time for action is now," he told the Congressional Black Caucus.

The words of America's first black president showed a deliberate effort to recapture the enthusiasm that had helped him win the White House in 2008, after polls showed African- Americans much less likely to vote than whites this year.

I myself am speechless.

Let me see, do you think if a white president EVER did such a thing, they would get away with it?

Now, is it not against the 401 c tax free status of Churches to preach about politics from the pulpit?

Do you think they may get in trouble if they follow his advice?

If this does not show you the double standard and the OUTRIGHT hypocrisy of the MSM, what else will?

edit on 19-9-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: Edit to change David Duke to Robert Byrd

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
If you think I am the only one that feels this way, you may want to take a look at the comments on the link I provided.

4k comments on that article.

Do you think that JUST maybe that Obama has just made a huge mistake?

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Ah that was cool, what you did there...

Threw in the name of a former Klansman as a substitute for Obama! Thus equating the Black Caucus with the KKK. A little game of "twist reality to make a point". Pretty cool there, what you did.

It'd be valid if Obama wasn't trying to milk everyone for their vote. Yeah?
If he was running on a "Screw whitey, we got this" platform...

Otherwise it's rubbish.

ETA: So this makes sense, this thread was originally entitled "David Duke urges...."

edit on 9/19/10 by Hefficide because: for clarity and understanding of post

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Really, who would of you preferred me to use. I know of no other person to have used his race except maybe Robert Byrd?

Maybe I will change it to that, since you prefer me to use a different politician.

edit on 19-9-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: grammar

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Or you could take it in context...

No white POTUS has ever tried to motivate a voter base pre-election?

The President saying "Go tell folks in church" is a lot different than speaking from a pulpit.

He's just doing what politicians do. White or black. I mean it's not like the Tea Party isn't taking advantage of their connection to "Christian" values.

Oh, and Pat Robertson actually did run for President from a pulpit.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
*rubs head* I don't know why I'm going to even bother trying, but I am. I've played this same argument over and over again on half a dozen websites and dozens upon dozens of threads. People on your side never change their minds, not even a little. Then again, people on my side don't either. People who are on the fence throw up their hands and ignore the whole thing in exasperation.

RACISM DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY.

White people* continue to be the overwhelmingly dominant force in this nation's ruling group. Look at congress. Look at the senate. Look at the supreme court. Look at corporate america. Look at voting statistics which take race into account. White people dominate black people in these places completely disproportionately to the actual population of the nation. It has become a part of the institution; it's not a formalized rule, but it sure as hell is how it works. It is observable. Obama pushing for this imbalance to be rectified is NOT up there with saying "Get rid of all white peoples' power." He's pushing for the balance to, you know, BE BALANCED. He has to use charged language or he'll be accused of being wishy washy or he'll just be completely ignored. That's a part of the institution too; you can only have partial victories when fighting from the weaker position in this fight. You have to give a few things up -- like the ability to use uncharged language, one those of us wh aren't in the weaker position take for granted.

I await your reply which accuses ;me of either being a dupe or a race traitor -- though I know you won't use those last two words.

*white men, but let's not get into that.

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Nice attempt to take out the Black Caucus component.

Yes, the story itself could be considered the problem, maybe on purpose?

But no one else could get away with it and you KNOW it.

+18 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

Oh, I forgot about the Black theology component. The Black Caucus and the MOST POWERFUL man in the world have no power. Because the power is institutional.

Stick your racism where it belongs, in the past.

edit to add-
To allow people to use their race as a crutch is RACISM. I am sick and tired of hearing how it is okay to allow this crap and yet the Tea Party is called racist. What a frelling joke!

edit on 19-9-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower

Nice attempt to take out the Black Caucus component.

There is nothing to take out. There is nothing wrong with a President rallying members of his party to fire up constituents.

Yes, the story itself could be considered the problem, maybe on purpose?

On purpose? As in giving the Tea Party yet another angle of attack?

But no one else could get away with it and you KNOW it.

Get away with what exactly?

Telling congressmen to get voters motivated to get to the polls?
Dealing with members of the black caucus?
Using the word "church"?
Using the word "barber shop"?
Being President?

My point is, I don't even see the issue here, much less the reason to complain about it. As corrupt as politicians are there has to be better material to kvetch about than this.

edit on 9/19/10 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I thought most white people were already voting. They're called senior citizens...

edit on 9/19/10 by ohsnaptruth because: Honestly, why must we put color in this anyway? I thought that issue was over with back in 1954.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I posted this topic last night (without the twist) and haven't had an apologist on there yet. I'm gonna watch both threads just to see. It seems when you throw out the Byrd thing certain people want something to jump on, while just posting the plain story.....they don't wanna defend something they can't. Humorous actually......they come here salivating to rip up someone, and end up playing apologist, while they avoid the true headline, because they know they are wrong. An interesting study into the minds of the usual suspects here on ATS.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 19-9-2010 by adifferentbreed because: Addded link

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

And by members of his party you mean???????
And the hypocrasy goes on........I didn't know you had to be black to be a democrat? Thanks for enlightening us all.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The funny thing was, I was about to comment kneejerk fashion that he has every right to considering the black people have a black caucus. I would find it fairly unnecessary personally, and I deem all the caucus's based on race to be a bit silly, but meh, people like to feel part of a group I guess.

the twist didn't make me flinch much...still wondering if there is actually a caucasion caucus that doesn't have pointy white hats as their uniform.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
I posted this topic last night (without the twist) and haven't had an apologist on there yet.

Apologist? Do my posts here strike you as such? Pointing out that a story is being twisted because of a persons race and not from any realistic standpoint is "apologist"? OK. if you say so.

I'm gonna watch both threads just to see. It seems when you throw out the Byrd thing certain people want something to jump on, while just posting the plain story

The OP altered the thread and title after I posted. It originally referred to David Duke and not Robert Byrd. This better explains my first reply.

.....they don't wanna defend something they can't. Humorous actually......they come here salivating to rip up someone, and end up playing apologist, while they avoid the true headline, because they know they are wrong. An interesting study into the minds of the usual suspects here on ATS.

What an interesting point of view. "Salivating"? "Rip up"? "Playing apologist"? "Usual suspects"

What a load of BS. Disagreeing with others, for example, you, does not imply one has an agenda nor does it mean that they are wrong.

If you want to nail Obama to a wall and then sit back and laugh about it all. Fine. But for Gods sake, find something that actually works before you try. There is nothing to see here, as far as I can tell.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Knee jerk reaction would be I thought only black caucus members wore blck suits, with bow ties, funny little hats (sometimes), big framed glasses, and had thugs stand behind them trying to look intimidating while they spoke out against us white devils.........but that would just be a kne jerk reaction, In reality they look dress and act independantly, but all have the same goal of power over other races.....interesting comparisson though.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

And by members of his party you mean???????
And the hypocrasy goes on........I didn't know you had to be black to be a democrat? Thanks for enlightening us all.

What makes you think I have any desire at all to enlighten you? Or that I'd waste my time trying?

There is a black caucus. Is it right? I don't know and don't really care. But a President addressing the black caucus is a non-issue.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

reply to post by Solasis

Oh, I forgot about the Black theology component. The Black Caucus and the MOST POWERFUL man in the world have no power. Because the power is institutional.

Stick your racism where it belongs, in the past.

edit to add-
To allow people to use their race as a crutch is RACISM. I am sick and tired of hearing how it is okay to allow this crap and yet the Tea Party is called racist. What a frelling joke!

edit on 19-9-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

Thank you for proving my point by not bothering to try to understand a single thing I said. Not that anyone who isn't already on my side will see this as proof.

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Anti-discrimination and equal treatment laws in the U.S. from the onset were written to promote and encourage discrimination from minorities towards the majority. Through the years the white American public has been brainwashed by this legislated treatment to believe it is A-OK for minorities to make statements like this because it shows pride in their race, but discriminatory and racist if they do the same. As a test, how many of you have ever seen someone wearing a "Black Pride" t-shirt? What was the general reaction of people around you too it? Then how many of you have seen someone wearing a "White Pride" t-shirt? What was the general reaction of people around you to it?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Why is that when a back man addresses other black men and encourages them to rally the votes in their neighborhoods it's viewed by some as racist. Yet, when a white man addresses a white audience and encourages the same thing it's not considered racist but merely a campaign to get the votes.

I am sure we can find examples of white presidents addressing black groups, Hispanic groups and every other groups out there in the past to gain support and votes. I don't think what Obama is doing is unique or original.

Seriously, stop seeing everything through the lens of racism.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
To be fair, wasn't the code word for any politician for a long time for "regular white folks", "Average, middle americans"?

edit on 19-9-2010 by SpectreDC because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join