It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best U.S. places to survive the apocalypse

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
www.mnn.com...

Mind you,most of them are totally off-limits to us regular folk,except maybe that last one,"Your crazy neighbor's house" (Except that some of us already are "that crazy neighbor"!)

I thought it might be of interest also in case anyone around these areas starts to see any unusual activity...??

Too many to embed,but hope y'all take a look!

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
most of us crazies dont let people get near us because outsiders become liabilities and cant be trusted

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by aliengenes

I hate it people are getting closer and closer to me and with them comes the one thing I fear....Police. Theres no need for them trouble makers to be coming up on my property. Why dont the lazy pigs actually go "fight" crime.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I think in the end,some of those underground bunkers the elite think they will be so safe in could eventually become their own homemade graves.

Would serve them right!

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge

When the apocalypse inevitably happens I'm going to play living dead. That way I'll blend in with all the other zombies and no one/demon/angel/spaghetti monster will notice me.

If that, plan A, fails, I'll just go next door to my crazy neighbor's house and eat canned tuna through the holes of my gas mask.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
They do it all the time, it's not the first time, they go underground and wait for it. Same story with atlantis, then they pop up. Who makes it makes it, then it's back from the start, it's a repeat soap oprah. The reset button, it is the end because people refuse their enterprise. Who would want to command a ship built by slavery, suffering and masacre of the innocent. I know I would not want that. Here are the keys take it, it's rapped in blood. No thanks snakey, you built it you run it, we don't need it. Then it's back from square zero, they come back and try to build it again, killing, suffering and so on, this is like a repeat on the TV. If we get a chance to abandon ship we will. Get the heck out of this place. Some leave some stay, maybe there is a better place in the universe where I can play with my self without these freaks.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I like the list but I don't like the idea of having to spend a fortune or blasting my way into a heavily guarded facility.
I live in a place surrounded by abandoned mines and ghost towns. I've been searching for just the right location. I'm not really expecting a nuclear fallout in my area, I'm more concerned with falling off the grid and getting away from everyone else. Has anyone else here thought of the same thing?

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I lived in Arizona surrounded by open space, old mines just like you. People will tend to stay out of the desert when the SHTF because of the desolation, but if you plan ahead and pick a good hideout, stock it with plenty of food and water now, and you should be fairly safe for a while... That is until supplies run out and your forced to leave and restock. Remember if you dig a hideout the dirt removed will standout from the dirt that wasn't disturbed and will be able to be seen from a very long distance, make sure you compensate for that by covering with brush and rocks.

Originally posted by QWMSgeoff
I like the list but I don't like the idea of having to spend a fortune or blasting my way into a heavily guarded facility.
I live in a place surrounded by abandoned mines and ghost towns. I've been searching for just the right location. I'm not really expecting a nuclear fallout in my area, I'm more concerned with falling off the grid and getting away from everyone else. Has anyone else here thought of the same thing?

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Strange that caves didn't come up in that list... but then again I suppose it would be irresponsible to make people feel like they had to master spelunking on a dangerously unrealistic timetable.

If you live in a major metropolitan area it might be worth checking out what kind of preparations are in place at major institutions. If your friendly neighborhood billionaire is prepared to save anyone who scampers into his office when they see the missiles streaking in (or whatever happens to us) then maybe the eve of the end of the world would be a good time to go downtown and apply for a new job over there... don't worry about the interview questions once you're there either- I'm sure the apocalypse will cause them to eliminate whatever position you were going to apply for.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
And now we know the 10 places NOT to be when the SHTF.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
the best places to survive are near wooded mountains and national forest areas from northern new mexico all the way up to idaho on the canadian border. you need water and food with lots of cover, but mostly centralization in the center of the country or there abouts.
anywhere east or west could be problematic by the fact that the military and police could easily control your movements.
if you were near the ocean you might die, so thats really not an option until after the after.

edit on 28-9-2010 by aliengenes because: none

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
The disgusting part in the article is Mount Weather and the whole transportation of art, to hell with art spend those resources on people!!! You know like Paris Hilton and Linsay Lohan!!!

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I'd recommend that all of you self-titled, weekend warrior "survivalists" read the below. It is a realistic look into how life in a post-apocalyptic world would work, and basically tells how virtually impossible it is to "survive" in that environment.

This probably doesn't need to be said, but I am not the author.

www.megaupload.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
How will anyone survive the biologicals that will be released during the shtf apocalypse. The jet stream will carry the bio/chem around the globe and the prevailing winds will disperse the toxins everywhere. Thinking in terms of just nukes is shortsided and stupid. It will be the stuff you can't see that will cause the living to envy the dead.

There are labs worldwide filled with some of the most despicable creations that man could envision.

www.cdc.gov...

Every time I bring this up in a shtf scenario thread, it gets ignored because it just to uncomfortable to even contemplate; Much more fun to think about buying guns, ammo and dried food and hunkering down in the woods or living in some sort of Mad Max fantasy.

Perhaps the sane thing to do would be to work for peace and justice instead of spending your time and money on a fantasy manufactured by those that profit on your fear.

edit on 29-9-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

To most of them, all it is is a little fantasy game they play in their heads.

Granted, when and if the #### did hit the fan, these people would have a slightly better chance at survival, and might be able to survive for a little longer, but reality would eventually set in, and they would be SOL, just like the rest of us.

edit on 29-9-2010 by inivux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
You make a very good point. My goal is to last out FEMA and any other goverment entity coming in to "help". The way I figure most of the places I've looked have ample water and woodland creatures to survive if an extended stay is required. thanks for the advice on the digging and hideout tips. I agree with most in that you can't prepare for everything but I think those that are the most prepared have the best chance of survival.

Originally posted by GammaRayBurst
I lived in Arizona surrounded by open space, old mines just like you. People will tend to stay out of the desert when the SHTF because of the desolation, but if you plan ahead and pick a good hideout, stock it with plenty of food and water now, and you should be fairly safe for a while... That is until supplies run out and your forced to leave and restock. Remember if you dig a hideout the dirt removed will standout from the dirt that wasn't disturbed and will be able to be seen from a very long distance, make sure you compensate for that by covering with brush and rocks.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

Well put. Man, you really put that out properly and explained it perfectly.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
if you were in high mountainous areas, the chances of them wasting chemicals or bio agents, drop off to zero. city locations like New York, Chicago, LA, KC, St. Louis, Denver, San Fransisco, thats the targets they need to use them on the populations. not rural.

they'll call marshal law, lock down the exits and control all traffic coming in and out.

the railways will be used to haul mass populations to rally areas for distribution, just as the Nazis did it. documented proven case scenarios.

the only way you can survive is with tight knit groups of no more than 3 and maybe 4 people, staying away from major cities and highways. and learn to move only at night in the worst possible conditions, preferably in north north western states, where it would be nearly impossible for them to maneuver and travel in extreme weather conditions.

norther idaho is perfect because you can instantly slip over into canada in the banana belt and lose yourself in the mountains of british columbia. if you had to?

they just dont have the manpower to control every inch of the united states and canada, hell they cant even control the mexicans from coming in let alone us leaving...lol

the bottom line is sitting ducks get killed. keep moving and never let your guard down, and never place yourself in a compromising position, and lose all dead weight from your ranks.

shot first keep, moving, and dont ask questions

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I'm up in northern MN. I would love to be able to stay put in my home. Lots of guns, ammo and critters to hunt and fish. However, if I had to leave I would head way up north to the Boundary Water's area if possible. My 15 yr old is very much interested in post-apoc topics right now. He has read The Road, and lots of other books on survivalism and end of the world, financial collapse, etc. Watching Terminator-Salvation is all fun and exciting and yeah, wouldn't it be cool to shoot up the enemy? I try to impress upon him that if you really want to know how to survive you need to get out there and do it...reading it in a book from the comfort of your cushy bedroom listening to your Ipod and Facebooking is one thing, getting out there and camping, hunting, fishing is another. I mean seriously, you can't stand stacking wood and cutting the grass cuz it's too hot and humid out and you want to be a survivalist? He helps me with ideas for storing food and it's fun to talk about and honestly, do I ever want my kids to have to live that kind of life? No way, but I have to teach them how to live on The Road anyway. When I was a kid we lived on the lake and went swimming, fishing, canoeing, turtle hunting, spearing and camping, making forts, having campfires and staying out all night long when we were ten, eleven years old. We were learning how to survive through play I guess. But yes, I think MN is a good enough place to survive if need be, although the winter's could kill ya if you couldn't stay warm!

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
zombies? living dead? maybe they like Zombie music?
www.youtube.com...

and totally believe you can't go wrong here no matter what-

be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.

For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join