It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light Propulsion...Is this for REAL??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I was doing a project in school on future propulsion systems and i came across a very interesting concept....LIGHT Propulsion.

I have a link to a video of this concept at work and its very interesting. I am jsut wondering why it hasnt been seen or heard of before if its so unique. Has this been been discussed before??

Hope u all find this interesting.

here is the link to the webpage

and here is the link of the video.

Its really wierd that the space crafts their using are alot like UFO's we see.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Yes, these vehicles do work. Light from a laser is directed at a reflective surface. The light has momentum and transfers that momentum to the reflective surface. It seems like they are already working on a commercial application of this technology.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by amantine
Yes, these vehicles do work. Light from a laser is directed at a reflective surface. The light has momentum and transfers that momentum to the reflective surface. It seems like they are already working on a commercial application of this technology.

WELL thank u very much for telling me it works!!....I guess i didnt figure that when i was doing my project!...I was asking ppl wat their thoughts were on this technology and "is this for real?" was clearly rhetorical.
Has anybody else heard of this??....Any more info??...

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Here is more info on laser-propulsion:

abovetopsecret.com...

With links to related ATS discussions on this

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
This is also the basis for the ION engine, which is in R&D currently and is sometimes referred to Electric Propulsion or Electro-Stasio-Kenetic or Hydro-Electric Discharge Unit, etc. there is a variety of names for this type of effect. But yes the technology and prototypes are already completed. In principal instead of "powering" a light craft from a ground or space based high energy source, an electrical discharge of a high power isotope creates enough "pulse" energy to propel a craft at constant acceleration, thereby over time building tremendous speed.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
project was obviously as sucessful as she tried to make out in the video lol (hint of sarcasim). Latest breaking news year 2000 hmm we are mid 2004 right?

Must use a fecking great powerful laser?

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Here's another source page on "future technologies" including microwave propulsion. It includes some reference books which your teachers might want you to be aware of: www.islandone.org...

I did the search for this on SCIRUS, the search engine for science papers (www.scirus.com) If you limit your search to the journals there, you'll quickly find out who the key players are in this type of technology and what they're up to. You then can backtrack them through google and see what they're promoting on their own web pages.

(I'm such a geek, ain't I???)

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Something I've always wondered - why not blast massive particles at near light speeds out the rear of a ship?

Rather than just pushing an ion out, shoot out massive particles at 90%+ of light speed, you could do this with a particle accelerator .. have an opening that would take in particles, have a high magnetism ring that gets them up to speed, then they get directed out the back at near light speed. Once this process got going, you'd be able to travel incredibly fast.

It is a lot like the ion engine, but, getting the particles up to speed then blasting them out seems better.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I supose you would need a heck of alot of particles in to create the momentum. Means it would be a flippin great satelite dish collecting them and firing them backwards. Size would be the downfall there.

May as well collect the light on mirrors in space, aim them at objects and speed them up, then let space do the rest. Can then use 1 mirror to guide many objects. I supose another issue is stopping
once you've got going. dont wanan over shoot past a star by a billion miles.

The solar sail project looks intersting, due to launch this sept. Looking forward to that
www.planetary.org...

Andy

[edit on 23-6-2004 by Andy Robins]

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Very interesting, this light propulsion technology. I did see a program on the History Channel on the subject and remember them shooting a miniature disk about 12 ft (i think) in the air. It worked by a pulsating laser that shot underneath the spinning disk and superheating the air underneath it. The superheated air rapidly expanded therefore pushing the disk up. But it did take huge amounts of energy to power the laser, and the metallic disk (according to them) is very expensive and hard to manufacture. Im not sure how fast it can go but, if the laser was powerful enough im sure it could be very fast indeed.

There is no beauty without cruelty

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
One downside to all of this is that it would be hard to use it in space. I mean if the laser is on the ground and it is being shot up at this disk, then where would the laser be in space???....I guess u could attach the laser to the craft at the back??...Would that work actually??...

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
how will they get that in space? they will need a nuclear power station to get it that far...what if there is a power cut and the craft is lost...

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
We were having a discussion here : www.abovetopsecret.com... about photons , and I raised a question as to how this actually works with a "massless" particle as a source of power / propulsion with this device specifically in mind , did't get a response from one of resident physics majors Quest but am going to u2u him a link to your post and see what he thinks .

This has been around for quite a while , and I don't think it would work at the back of a spaceship , the laws of equal and opposite reactions would seem to cancel out .

But since the photon is assumed massless , your idea may have some merit , or at least needs to be explained away in physics terms .

Thanks for the links , off to banter now ... - odd

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I disagree with amantine...

I recall these working by the lazer pulsing energy to the concave bottom of the object and thus forming bust of high temperature and pressure air.

From the site:

The back side of the craft is a large, highly polished parabolic mirror that is designed to capture the laser beam projected at it from the ground. The mirror focuses the beam, rapidly heating the air to 5 TIMES the temperature of the sun, creating a blast wave out the back that pushes the vehicle upward. As the beam is rapidly pulsed, the vehicle is continuously propelled forward, on its way to orbit.

Light does not carry momentum that i know of. I'd love to see a source article that says it does. Even solar sails are based off of solar particulate radiation, not light.

Last I heard this technology lacked stability and energy effeciency.

Spinning a mirrored top and pulsing it on air is great and all, but water rockets work too and you hardly see them being used to put things in orbit.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
If light propulsion works...why not use it?

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
If light propulsion works...why not use it?

Beause it only works on small and lightweight things right now. And it's extremely expensive -- solid rocket fuel is cheaper and more reliable.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
oooooohhhhhh. Nice. Hope they can make it more advanced so there wont be any wars over oil.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by LuDaCrIs

Actually their is one problem with these technologies. Light Propulsion burns the air surrounding the vehicle to produce motion, however, in outer space this wont work.

The second problem is with Newtons law of equal and opposite reaction. If a powerfull laser were to blast say a 100 ton spaceship then earth too would shift marginally.

Any ideas? opinions?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
emm noob question,but what is it that propels light? is it because it has no mass?...another thing...since atoms vibrate in the nucleus with strings of energy at different frequencies which determine the property etc of the atom...would it not be possible to send a wavelength of info that changes that vibration to match another ie teleporation except without actually moving...i heard that all atoms are inter connected to the beginning of THIS universe...ie my atoms are linked to the atoms that were created 15/16 billion years ago...so....would the data actually have to be sent to another location....if that location and all other atoms are intertwined? sorry im not a scientist....just curious... and sorry a bit off topic....

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I was reading a paper, that is supposed to be from los alamos on something called a phase propagator. They're special mirrors, that control what is reflected off them, I believe it is electricity being pulsed through some sort of nano material, but im not sure, paper was kind of heavy.

They were discussing the uses of this material in stealth applications, but later discovered it had other possibilities. It reflects the beam of light traveling from your eyes to the object, directly back at your eyes, rendering the object invisible, but they realised that they could reflect a beam of light, back and forth, between 2 of these phase propagators, continuously amplifying off every reflection. This could be built up over time to use as a sustainable energy source, I don't see why it couldn't be used as a form of propulsion, alot of potential energy could be stored through these.

I'll look for the link. I'm pretty sure it was on the living moon website, but I can't find it now, so much to look through lol. If Anyone from over there could send me the link that would be great, ill keep looking though.

EMM

[edit on 24-7-2008 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

[edit on 24-7-2008 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join