It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth is slowly moving away from the Sun

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

oh, Very interesting read, thank you

That makes sense now, but the decrease is too insignificant to cause a noticeable distance increase for thousands of years.

I think mars is in a good place for life though, it might have a slightly colder climate than earth, but a bit of terraforming, and it could be another earth again, assuming that i wasnt lied to about mars.

assuming i was lied to, and it looks that way, mars is alive and functioning well.

15cm a YEAR? that is really really insignificant.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

The Sun also accretes matter. Comets; soft on the outside, crunchy in the middle. Asteroids, like rock candy. Cosmic ray particles. All kinds of stuff.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by shiman

"15cm a YEAR? that is really really insignificant"

No, it is not. That is my point. People just find odd facts like this on the net and post them here just to get points. I can see the next threads to be posted. "Water is wet!!!", "Fire is hot!!!" and "Ice is cold!!!" like it is something new and really needs to be told to the world. ATS is full of meaningless threads like that. It does little more than to waste time and space.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Didn't you mean that it is insignificant?

At aphelion the Earth is 152,097,701 from the Sun. At perihelion it is 147,098,074 km. A 3% difference.

At 15 cm/yr, over 1 billion years, the Earth would have moved a distance of 150,000km from the sun or .1% of its average distance from the sun...1 billion years. Over the life of the solar system (assuming the same rate of change) that's a grand total of less than 1/2%.

I think that qualifies as insignificant. And we certainly are not going to change places with Mars before the solar system ceases to be.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by shiman
The sun isnt losing mass because it is constantly turning hydrogen into heavier elements. There is going to be less amount of atoms of hydrogen, but two hydrogens turn into one helium, two helium turns into Beryllium, beryllium to oxygen, and so on. The total amount of atoms decreases, but the atoms themselves get heavier, and closer together.

As in any nuclear reaction, two lighter elements fusing together into a heavier element will lose some mass as energy, hence why the sun is a big hot ball that makes us nice and cozy. If what you said was true and the fusion resulted in no mass loss, then the sun would not emit any energy and we would not exist.

So, in essence, the sun is losing mass as energy. The OP's premise, at least on that count, is spot on.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I did a copy and paste from another post. Sorry if the wording did not come out right. I ment to say than 15cm is meanless. It is a waste of time to post such things and look at the time and space that has been wasted on it here. I am done with this thread.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
So Futurama was right? We will have 28 hrs a day eh?

Just a thought..

The length of a day isn't dependent on the distance from the sun, that would affect the length of the year (along with speed of the orbit of the planet). The length of a day is about rotation of the planet on its axis. The Earth is slowing down a little bit, all the time, on average. Sometimes things can speed it up or slow it down further by tiny amounts. The huge earthquake that caused the Indian Ocean Tsunami apparently sped up the rotation of the Earth by a minuscule amount. A hit by a very large asteroid or comet could either speed it up or slow it down, depending on the angle and direction it hits.

On the whole, though, it's simply slowing down as the original energy caused by its accretion - which sent it spinning - dissipates. It's just like a spinning top, eventually there's enough friction on something, dissipating its energy, causing it to slow down. In time, yes, we will have days significantly longer than we have now as the Earth slows down.

edit on 9/19/2010 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

Not friction. The Moon. The Moon is robbing the Earth of rotational energy and converting it to orbital energy as it moves further from us. If the solar system lasts long enough (it won't), the Moon and Earth will be tidally locked with each other. The rotational rate of both will match the rate of revolution of the Moon around the Earth. A day will last a month, which will be longer than it is now.

edit on 9/19/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by shiman
The sun isnt losing mass because it is constantly turning hydrogen into heavier elements. There is going to be less amount of atoms of hydrogen, but two hydrogens turn into one helium, two helium turns into Beryllium, beryllium to oxygen, and so on. The total amount of atoms decreases, but the atoms themselves get heavier, and closer together.

As in any nuclear reaction, two lighter elements fusing together into a heavier element will lose some mass as energy, hence why the sun is a big hot ball that makes us nice and cozy. If what you said was true and the fusion resulted in no mass loss, then the sun would not emit any energy and we would not exist.

So, in essence, the sun is losing mass as energy. The OP's premise, at least on that count, is spot on.

If you scroll up, this was clarified to me with an interesting read. I also saw an episode of "The Universe" that explained it to me too.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

A day will last a month, which will be longer than it is now.

Whats that bit mean. A bit confusing..

A month will still be a Month, no change..
Maybe the amount of days in a month would change but not the actual lengh in time of a month...

Thats unless the Earths orbit around the Sun changes..

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

Since the Moon will be further from the Earth, its orbit will be slower, taking longer to revolve once around the Earth. A month is the amount of time it takes the Moon to revolve around the Earth. As the Moon moves away, months will get longer, there will be fewer months in a year.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

"Earth is slowly moving away from the Sun"

quick, everyone push from this side. it's almost the middle of the night here.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

A month it the amount of time it takes the Moon to revolve around the Earth.

Are you serious?????

So the Moon goes faster in February (28 days), then slows for March (31 days) ???

Thats outrageuos Phage and coming from you..

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

You're talking about calendar months. The calendar we use is an artificial construct meant to match a solar year (which it doesn't do very well, thus leap years), the number of days in each month of the calendar is arbitrary.

A lunar month, the time it takes the moon to revolve once around the Earth is 27.21222 days (on average). That's why a full moon does not happen on the same day each calendar month.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I almost think of the solar system as a clock, and that orbits change, possibly more rapidly than slowly. Observe50 has an interesting thread about the moon of earth being the wrong size for our planet, and Sleeper said it was from Jupiter, though why not Saturn, since all things are coded to it by illuminati?

And also Sleeper had a good thread about birth of new planets, I found that interesting. In standard theories it would be absurd. But this is a holographic universe, and stars are the input systems, projectors, phone line home, lasers erecting the pixels into the universe on the screen in our minds, and gravity the sorting program that creates order.

So consider, the streaming in of programs and information comes from Beyond, behind the veil, from our Future Selves/Higher Selves, then its quite possible that new planets get inputed as well, since its just energy/pixels, and the sun erects this, the light images in through our senses, to the energy recognition centers of the brain and onto the screen. A whole planet doesnt pop out whole, just the blueprint/pixels energy.

I have two threads in my signature relating to the downloads I recieved from Higher/Future self for over a month after contemplating infinity on the Holographic Universe and Space-time.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   

The sun isnt losing mass because it is constantly turning hydrogen into heavier elements.

The Sun is losing mass at the rate of roughly 4 million tons per second. Hydrogen to helium fusion isn't a perfect process, and one atom of helium is slightly lighter than the four atoms of hydrogen that are combined in the proton-proton fusion reaction that powers the Sun. That difference in mass is radiated away as energy, which is why the Sun (and all stars) shine.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by earth2

I'm glad it is, the further away the better, then it's wave function collapse of duality, who knows, I for one am sure I had enough of this sun religion crap, enligtment with insanity, it's a curse.
Maybe 2012 will bring a shift, who is extrovert will become introvert, and who is introvert will become extrovert.
People might not notice it but planets give vibes like a sonar making up everything, it's how we work, the sun keeps it all in one peace.

edit on 20-9-2010 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet-
The Earth moves in a circular motion around the Sun also it is known that the Earth can also go into an eleptical orbit

edit on 20-9-2010 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

The Earth's orbit is always slightly elliptical with an eccentricity of 0.016710219.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by artistpoet

The Earth's orbit is always slightly elliptical with an eccentricity of 0.016710219.

Thanks again for the info - Yes ECCENTRICITY that is the correct description

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join