It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The hidden Racism of the Far-Left

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
"Affirmative Action in the U.S. has made blacks...who have largely lifted themselves out of poverty, look like people who owe their rise to affirmative action and other government programs" - Dr. T Sowell

There is the open type of racism of the far-right and the hidden type of racism of the far-left. The hidden type of racism is more dangerous because most people - including the far-left - are not even aware of it being racism.

One (of many) symptoms of this covert hatred is Affirmative Action. The "progressives" impose laws prefering "minority groups" over white people, regardless of qualification, performance, ability and character. Giving one person an advantage because of ethnicity is hardcore racism. Why? Because it devalues a black persons achievements and abilities. It automatically categorizes Blacks, Mexicans, Women, etc. as pathetic victims rather than the self-responsible and proud human beings that they are. And in continually treating them as if they were inept, they eventually become inept.

In this way, leftist-actions cause even more overt Racism from the far-right who are outraged at the Reverse-Discrimination.

How did it ever come this far? The seed of this stupidity lies at the core of leftist ideology that claims that all minority groups are "oppressed" and the "ruling class" is automatically "the oppressor". Brainwashed in this way, a leftist thinks that just because 1% of the far-right behave and talk like racists, that this applies to 99% of the right-wing. The truth is that real racism was obliterated one hundred years ago...except for a tiny minority of crazies. I personally know many hundreds of "right-wingers" personally, and not a single one of them is a racist or even remotely concerned with race.

I hang out with black people, privately. And when I hang out with them I dont think of them as needy of a favour, needy of "affirmative" action, but merely as...pals. Neither would they want me to see them as needy of a favour.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Here in Kentucky, there are far left racists who don't bother hiding it either!

I do not believe in affirmative action for anyone.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Affirmative Action is most definitely Hard-Core Racism. That is the government publicly placing individuals into groups based upon ethnicity and giving certain groups more rights and privileges over another group, that is not just racist it is wrong.

We need to make the playing field level, so that all people have a fair chance to compete equally amongst all people and businesses. Everyone has it in their own ability to make of their life what they want (except those with mental/physical disabilities), but only as long as the playing field is fair. The role of government should not be to protect or lift up certain groups, but rather to make it where they can and must lift themselves up.

edit on 9/18/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
Affirmative Action is most definitely Hard-Core Racism. That is the government publicly placing individuals into groups based upon ethnicity and giving certain groups more rights and privileges over another group, that is not just racist it is wrong.

I love it when I see an openly and actively liberal commentator such as yourself (my assumption based on your past posts) say things like this. It helps to break the myth that all "left-wingers" have the same opinion about these sorts of thing.

I am of the same opinion. Help people when they need it, but remove the crutches after a time to let them walk on their own.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

People need to be treated as individuals, not as groups. I always get disgusted when I hear people like the NAACP always saying that the Blacks are having it so bad, We are all having it bad. Blacks are not the only poor people in America. Instead of just talking about relief for Blacks in poverty how about relief for Everyone in poverty regardless of ethnicity or gender?

And yes I am a Liberal commentator, but when I say Liberal I mean that I am divided 50/50 on being Social Liberal or Classical Liberal. So it will sound like I flip-flop sometimes but that is only because I believe in both versions of Liberalism and try and combine the two. Just saying…

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

We need to make the playing field level, so that all people have a fair chance to compete equally amongst all people and businesses. Everyone has it in their own ability to make of their life what they want (except those with mental/physical disabilities), but only as long as the playing field is fair. The role of government should not be to protect or lift up certain groups, but rather to make it where they can and must lift themselves up.

edit on 9/18/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

another Commie scum here, I agree... I think there was a time when this helped, but I feel that time is over.

I tried to get a job as census worker to make some extra dough, anyhow, I could NOT
get a job because I was not registered in the SELECTIVE SERVICE, even though I had the BEST score
of the day I was turned down. Some morons got TWICE as many questions wrong, yet were still eligible.
I found out that if I was an immigrant, this requirement would be waved

That kind of thing PISSES me OFF and I cannot blame anyone who feels the same -

Many lefty things do not work as proposed, I can own up to that, you can't get stupid by examining things squarely,,,, hint, hint

Gracias

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I think there is pretty thin line between anti-poverty programs and racism as well. Some people are in genuine need and are helped but there are always others who, while capable, jump on the wagon for some "freebies". Some will claim it's "owed to them" while others just take silently and perpetuate a system that actually cripples them by making them dependents and degrading their sense of self-worth.

America has come light years in race relations. All my grandparents were N----- this and N----- that, but my parents, aunts, uncles, cousins are not at all like that.

A good deal of racism is based on stereotyping which could end if only people would stop living up to those sterotypes and reinforcing them. If Blacks don't want whites using the N word then they should stop using it themselves.

Nobody is fooled by double standards. Even 4 year -olds recognize them when they see them.

Unfortunately it seems the media is working overtime to push racism back into the forefront of people's hearts and minds. When we encounter it we should call them on it and demand they stop. There are many issues of dire importance facing America right now regardless of our skin color.

It's high time we pulled together and acted on a united front to turn this ship of state around before it crashes on the rocks of fiscal irresponsibility and warmongering recklessness

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

The real damage of affirmative action is the perception it creates about minorities.

Go to a hospital with a serious condition and a black doctor comes in. Are you thinking "did he get into college and subsequently medical school because of his ability, or was he accepted because of his minority status?" You may not, but I can guarantee that many do. If an Irish American comes in, you are definately thinking that he's got the stuff because he had to fight through the affirmative action nonsense and compete for a diminished number of slots.

That does a hugh diservice to the black doctor (and obviously other high end professionals), there is no way it does not. I have absolutely no doubt that there are brilliant people of all genders and races, capable of any job. What affirmative action should be is aggressively recruiting them. Should Harvard Medical School spend extra effort to seek out and recruit qualified minority students? Probably. They should not give them slots if they are not qualified.

This also goes for gender norming where in professions like a firefighter women are allowed to perforrm at a far less physical ability to get a job. In NYC, to become a fire fighter, a male candidate must carry a dummy of 120lbs down two flights of stairs. A female candidate needs to drag the dummy down. Who would you rather come and get you out of a burning building, a gent who is going to pick you up or a woman who is going to drag you down by your feet?

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

The real damage of affirmative action is the perception it creates about minorities.

Go to a hospital with a serious condition and a black doctor comes in. Are you thinking "did he get into college and subsequently medical school because of his ability, or was he accepted because of his minority status?" You may not, but I can guarantee that many do. If an Irish American comes in, you are definately thinking that he's got the stuff because he had to fight through the affirmative action nonsense and compete for a diminished number of slots.

Regardless of how the doc got into school, I'd hope they got out by passing the tests.

That does a hugh diservice to the black doctor (and obviously other high end professionals), there is no way it does not. I have absolutely no doubt that there are brilliant people of all genders and races, capable of any job. What affirmative action should be is aggressively recruiting them. Should Harvard Medical School spend extra effort to seek out and recruit qualified minority students? Probably. They should not give them slots if they are not qualified.

Actively seeking qualified individuals should be how it goes. Maybe they should push a bit more, searching for qualified members of the minority... "qualified" being the operative word, not "minority".

This also goes for gender norming where in professions like a firefighter women are allowed to perforrm at a far less physical ability to get a job. In NYC, to become a fire fighter, a male candidate must carry a dummy of 120lbs down two flights of stairs. A female candidate needs to drag the dummy down. Who would you rather come and get you out of a burning building, a gent who is going to pick you up or a woman who is going to drag you down by your feet?

You'd prefer to be carried over dragged? Whether the firefighter / rescuer is male or female is irrelevant so long as they get you out of the building, no?

edit on 9/18/2010 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
...The "progressives" impose laws prefering "minority groups" over white people, regardless of qualification, performance, ability and character.

It's been my understanding (and experience) that:

1. The laws specify choosing the minority candidate only if /when 2 candidates are 'equal';

2. In practice, higher-level good jobs still don't go to minority groups; and

3. Only low-level jobs are available to minority groups, even with 'equal access' laws, just to fill quotas.

What did I miss?

...not that I don't think the left is racist and supports eugenics too.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

It's been my experience that many employers and educational facilities are required to have staff and students roughtly approximating the make-up of the populace. So if 20% of the people are black, 2 out of every ten must be black, etc. in spite of qualifications.

Even public schools bus students to a more distant school for that specific purpose.

edit on 9/18/2010 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
i always thought of it as more of open racism towards whites. they make it out like all whites were slave owners, not just a small group of southerners. and people tend to forget about the underground railroad where whites helped fleeing blacks escape to the free north, and also the fact that our country went into a civil war over this very issue. so obviously all whites were not racist even then. why on earth would a racist stand toe to toe against his very own relatives in order to free the blacks from bondage? people want us to be ashamed of being white as if it is some kind of terrible thing. being white is perfectly fine, and being proud of your culture and your white roots does not make you a racist. we currently have an african american president, now consider the fact that blacks and latinos make up about 30% of the total population. that leaves a pretty big percentage of white voters who obviously voted for obama. is that racist? is it racist to tolerate all black colleges? all black scholarships? is it racist to tolerate affirmative action where you get a job not based on qualifications but based solely on not being white? if you play the race card and continue to assume all whites think exactly alike and generalize us in this way then you are in fact the racist.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
The laws specify choosing the minority candidate only if /when 2 candidates are 'equal';

100 years ago, just coming out of the age of slavery, I would deem this acceptable as a compensation. Not today.

In practice, higher-level good jobs still don't go to minority groups; and

I doubt it. Most employers I know favour teams composed of very different types, characters and ethnicities. It makes for more dynamic teams.

Also: Unless one is America-centric, none of these groups are actually "minorities".

edit on 18-9-2010 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Affirmative Action is most definitely Hard-Core Racism.

Im glad our resident liberal is chiming in.

Indeed true equality would do good to get rid of affirmative action.

...and introduce flat tax

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Affirmative Action is most definitely Hard-Core Racism.

Im glad our resident liberal is chiming in.

Indeed true equality would do good to get rid of affirmative action.

...and introduce flat tax

"Resident Liberal" what the hell is that supposed to mean?

I would support a Flat Tax rate if you believe that welfare should go to all people, not just the poor. I mean we can't keep the millionaires from recieving food stamps too.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die
i always thought of it as more of open racism towards whites. they make it out like all whites were slave owners, not just a small group of southerners. .

What Ive read a lot around here too is that America is "the most racist nation on earth". Even after we voted Obama into office people are still saying that.

And it is TOTALLY untrue. There are countries out there who still class people and handout jobs according to lightness of skin (India being one of many examples), believe it or not.

America is one of the least racist countries in the world.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
This is a great observation and so very true. The Affirmative Action programs, Entitlement programs, Fair Housing Acts... are all 'left-wing' propagated legislation which on face value sought to empower the Black community but in reality did the opposite. Calling it brainwashing is a fair assumption imo, as they would gain Black votes by campaigning on these ideas, telling them it would help them, when in fact many social scientists insofar as previous Black leaders vocalized their concerns and dislikes for such ideas.

Malcolm X was one of the stronger voices on this issue, where he carried on the ideology of Marcus Garvey, by stating something to the effect of, "The most dangerous man to the Negro community is not the openly racist republican man who calls us 'N-words' and seeks to reaffirm segregation and unequality because I know where he stands on this issue and I can act accordingly, but rather it is the MODERATE, democratic, man who is the most dangerous to our community, because he will shake our hand in public and tell us he is our friend but behind closed doors he is just as racist as those southern white men who propagate segregation, he will tell us he is willing to fight for equal rights while he is in public, just to win our votes, but behind closed doors he does not seek to pass equal rights laws but rather programs that will further oppress our so called 'Negro' people. I do not support either party, republicans or democrats, because both have intentions on keeping our so called 'Negro' community oppressed, they only disagree on how that should be done. This is why I fully support the ideas taught to me by the Honorable Elijah Mohammed, which call for complete segregation between our races and call for our so called 'Negro' people to receive land of our own to educate and govern ourselves."

Later on Malcolm X came to the realization that the ideology of segregation which Elijah Mohammed taught him, was not only unrealistic but may not be what is best for the Black community so he seperated himself from that ideology and eventually began to share a more similar ideology to that of Dr. King's, which called for equal rights, although he still advocated the theory that the Black community needed to protect and defend themselves "by any means necessary".

After Malcolm X and Dr. King were assassinated, many Black leaders (like Jesse Jackson) became afraid and fearful of falling to the same fate, so they too became Moderates. Another reason for the more moderate vision of many later Black leaders was the fact that equal rights legislation had been passed and many of them felt they no longer needed to be so vocally angry and concerned. The few that did continue to have strong and unfearful opinions, like Huey Newton, were also assassinated, which only further quieted their voices and soon the masses of Black's began to look to the Democratic leaders, who were propagating all these so called 'helpful' programs, for guidance and leadership. They were in fact, like you said, tricked or brainwashed, and for the most part still are, although many have just lost all faith in either party and choose not to vote at all.

There is a real need for new leadership like we saw in the Dr. King's, Malcolm X's, Huey Newton's, those who are not afraid to take a bullet or meet their early death, who do not place the worth of their own lives over others, but rather view their message and vision as the most important thing. And this need is not just for the Black community, the White community insofar as America as a whole is in dire need of such leadership. This is why so many of us were so excited and relieved when Obama showed up on the scene. He too voiced strong opinions and to some degree still does, but his actions are that more so of a Moderate's than that of a revolutionary's and this disappoints many of us, rightfully so. He is like an extremely passive Dr. King, which Malcolm X would probably say is not even possible:lol, and would rather join hands and sing kumbahya with his fellow white (corrupt and greedy) democrats than put his foot down, voice strong opinions, and willingly put himself in a position where he may have to take a bullet in order to create REAL CHANGE, like Dr. King actually did.

That's why these coming elections are going to be very hard for me to decide what to do, is not voting actually a reasonable option? Maybe.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Actually, how I get out of the building matters. I would personally prefer to be carried rather than be pulled out of the building and wind up surviving the fire but winding up with a serious head injury because my head has been bounced down two flights of stairs.

Maybe you're different, but I don't think different standards need apply for minorities, men, women, dwarfs, you name it.

How about we just use the standards the NFL uses for everything?

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
reply to post by soficrow

It's been my experience that many employers and educational facilities are required to have staff and students roughtly approximating the make-up of the populace. So if 20% of the people are black, 2 out of every ten must be black, etc. in spite of qualifications.

Yes - but - they fill their quotas by placing minorities in low-level positions without looking for qualified candidates for higher level positions - and drop 'em at the bottom of the barrel where "qualifications" don't count for much, really.

So maybe redneck bobby joe figgers he kin writ better'n rufus, an needs the job more'n he duz but why hate-monger over such distinctions?

Minorities and women (who are NOT a minority) are NOT represented equitably at all in any but the lowest levels of the workforce.

It's a diversionary issue.

The REAL problem is the failing economic system, and the fundamental flaws in its design, not who's fighting over the few crumbs left after the CEO's get their +million dollar+ bonuses.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I agree that Affirmative Action policies don't work.

But I don't agree that the system is equitable. At all.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join