It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do YOU hate Americans?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

$25,000 isn't poverty if you are on your own. If you live on your own, in an apartment, and are responsible with that money, you will live comfortably. It is just when you have to support other people is when that kind of money wont cut it.

If you are in college and you are able to get that kind of money, would you consider yourself in poverty? Of course not. It is all about perspective, really.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
My reason and I am an American as well.

"When you are born into this world you enter a freak show. When you are born in America you get front row seats to the freak show." -George Carlin

Just watch many of his comedy routines and you will understand.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

I own all of his comedy routines.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I live about 20 minutes from the US border and whenever I take the trip across the 49th parallel its a very enjoyable day. Everyone seems to be very friendly and easy going. I've also taken trips down into the states to LA and Florida and also had enjoyable times. I don't hate Americans, sure at times they may be a bit into themselves and forget that there is a world outside of the states, but I would not say I hate my fellow neighbors at all.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I am not biting. Who the hell even cares about Americans anyway, except other Americans? This is just another attempt to focus the attention on You, You, You.

Meh ....who cares?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Haters hate because that's what haters do.

It's not just Americans that they hate, and not just something as valid as evil, either. Just ask one next time they are doing what they do, which is hating!

From America, the upstart who doesn't deserve what she has, may God continue to bless and keep you!

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Onet Wosix
There is a bit of a stupid 'fashion' to be snotty about Americans in the UK, especially amongst 'trendy left wing types'

Why? I really dont know - I think it is very very stupid.

If I ever hear anyone badmouthing the Americans, I try to remind them that thousands of Americans gave their lives all across Europe to ensure our Freedom, and to think before they start with the Anti American BS.

The people of the USA and my country, the UK, have given many lives to ensure the freedom of other countries - so to anyone who hates Americans, I say stfu.

edit on 18-9-2010 by Onet Wosix because: spelling mistake

please tell me these countries?

Last I checked, the UK did a PITTY PISS POOR JOB HERE IN ni. And in so far as I can see, you lot have done a worse job in Iraq and AFGANISTAN?

Pllease show me otherwise!

Everywhere you Brits and Yanks go, murder and carnage follow.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The appropriate question should be about "citizens of the United States"...
Linguistically speaking everyone from the tip of Canada to the tip of South America would be considered "American" based on the continents, the same way someone who is French, Spanish, or German could just as easily be called "European". Example, Mexicans are also considered "Central Americans" and so are technically American.

So the question is about people within the US of America then...

I don't hate them, but I dislike the majority of them intensely . The reasons are many and most of them have been posted already.
Like the other poster said, Carlin says it best .

But I do have some other reasons which were not mentioned thus far:

Gas guzzling SUV's owned by tens of millions who have no need for them.
Blatant lack of respect for other cultures.
A demoralizing adherence to all things Jesus without acceptance that there are other beliefs in the world.
A social rudeness that borders on megalomania from its practitioners.
A general and overall lack of patience.
Lack of self awareness.
Lack of understanding when it comes to seeing the depravity of its politicians.
Blind submission and subservience with respect to believing what their leaders tell them.
I could go on, and on...

edit on 19-9-2010 by dragonsmusic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I don't hate americans, I dislike strongly American consumer culture, and fear mongering. In the states you get the government telling you that you have to go to war since there are terrorist everywhere! I like the Canadian approach, we don't tell you about it until they are found. The Canadian government looks incompetent but they know more than they let the public know, and its not a conspiracy, they aren't watching you. Really, they just do everything quietly to not alarm the public.

As for the consumer culture. BUY BUY BUY!! You have to look this way be this way, if you aren't American and following the American dream you aren't normal. its all Hail God, god and state should be one. I'm not saying up in canada its not the same, *ahem* Alberta Canada's texas. But I like how if your don't want to be a church going white person with 2.5 kids in the suburbs that's okay. You don't have to be the star quarter back or head cheerleader, hell at my school we made fun of the cheerleaders for being to damn perky.

Not all americans are bad, its the stereotype and public image that is bad. Sorry americans but your PR rep sucks, peace, love and acceptance is the way to go. Not money, war, oil, in that order.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by irishspirit

Where ever Brits and Yanks go, murder follows?

I am assuming that you are Irish, and I can understand you contempt for Brits. I am also assuming you live in Northern Ireland, am I right in doing so?

Regardless, you saying that about "Yanks" and "Brits" means little. You say it like Yanks and Brits are the only ones to ever have gone to war in the history of man; like they are the only ones to go to war unjustly, to conquer or otherwise. I know little about the Irish culture, I am sure it is very vivid. The only thing I know about your culture is that you aren't too fond of the Brits, which is understandable considering your position.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

Linguistically speaking everyone from the tip of Canada to the tip of South America would be considered "American" based on the continents, the same way someone who is French, Spanish, or German could just as easily be called "European".

People who live within the borders of the USA, may have a vague awareness that other places and people exist in their hemisphere, but not that they matter.

Just watch Jay Leno in his "Jaywalking" segments and it will tell you all you need to know about the downright stupidity, never mind ignorance of the average person on the street.

edit on 9/19/2010 by wayno because: I felt like it.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

You don't think that they screen people on that segment? Like the MSM, I have no doubt that they censor anything intelligent because people want to see stupidity. You cannot possibly say it is not plausible that they would do something like that for ratings.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Bushido Kanji

Its a ready source for them isn't it? Sure they probably find some intelligent ones, but they wouldn't do the segment if in fact they had to work so hard to find the dumb ones. It is reality bub.

Now enough about you. I am sick of you guys demanding the spotlight like a spoiled child. Indulge yourself in your thread and self worship (as a people) I've got better things to do.

Really.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Definitely thread worth posting.
Hate, such a strong word....
Again, I don't have anything against Americans, actually they are quite nice people. What I dislike is how they society operates.

1.General public's ignorance and arrogance towards important matters (other cultures, climate change, politics etc.)
2. Radical fanatic elements (Religion, nationalism etc), many things seem to be taken to extreme. Perhaps something to do with general black and white thinking.
3. Lack of respect towards other people...(elderly, different opinions, etc.)
4. Too big social differences and minimal social mobility.
5. Lack of patience
6. Lost ability to learn from other cultures and self-improvement....(For example GM, Chrysler....didn't learn anything from japanese car makers)
7. Too powerful corporations.... or organizations (MPAA, AFT, etc.)and lack of government supervision...(Monsanto, Exxon, etc.)
8. General lack of considering public interests. (Organizations and companies push laws, which only benefit them without considering impact on whole society, or long-term effects)
8. Openly corrupted government
9. Forcing own values on the rest of the world.

That's about it for now.
You could mention lack of any respect towards environment. I mean we here in Europe are at least trying to do something against climate change yet YOU are one of a few countries, which don't do anything....no Kioto treaty, Bigger more gas hungry cars, leaving lights on in your office building when it's empty etc. (Just watch The Oil Crash - documentary). You are one of the most powerful nations on earth yet you fail to be a leader. (You know...Noblesse Obliege thingie....)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I hate Americans because of their freedoms!

Just joking...

If the rest of the world has any reason to hate Americans (as in American
citizens) it is because they became complacent, fattened, self-interested
loafs after WW2. And because they were so self-absorbed (as a whole) to
pay attention, they let the Military Industrial Complex and the cabal behind
the Federal Reserve run-amok for decades while they watched TV and
ate hot dogs. All the while the MSM was consolidated, the Constitution
eroded, the basic tenet of defense of a country morphed into aggressive
military action, and the stability of the world was threatened as America
lost position as THE economic engine of the world, as the rich elite traded
jobs out-of-country in exchange for a quick, near-sighted dollar of profit.

Other than that, Canadians are really nice people...as long you are are
face-to-face....if you're driving in your car, that's a whole 'nother story

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
How many times have you noticed a post/thread that begins with the assumption that 'here' or 'this country' is America?

This assumption, that everyone not in the US will automaticly know where 'here' is, is symbolic of the American attitude many people dislike.

It's tough to know what to think of America really, a nation of extremes is what comes across in the media. Everything there is bigger, better, stronger, prouder, louder and often it seems, overly opinionated and defensive.

The constant patting yourselves on the shoulder for WW2 gets a bit tedious also, like accusations of anti-semitism.

I've never bothered to post in one of these self rightious pity me threads because its incredibly yawn inducing.

Obviously not all or even most Americans are complete prats but unfortunately, just as with any other generalization, the prats shout the loudest and the stereotype sticks. BOO HOO.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It's possible when non-Americans think of America, they picture all the modern conveniences: the highways, the skyscrapers, the shopping malls, the fast food joints; suburbs and white picket fences; LA, Vegas, NYC, DC, etc. With this picture in mind, they probably think we take it all for granted, which isn't far from the truth. Combine this mental image with our collective attitudes towards the rest of the world, and one gets an idea why so many people dislike us.

But what a lot of non-Americans don't see is the underbelly of the country: the people struggling, starving, fighting to make ends meet. A good portion of the American population lives in conditions which aren't too far from those in a 3rd-world country; it's our pride that gives off an image that "everything is okay." I'm not saying these conditions are as critical as those in a 3rd-world country, but by American standards, things are bad in some parts of the country. I bet most non-Americans never picture a trailer park, an apartment complex, gang territories, a welfare office, a homeless family, a ghetto, etc. Even the water, which most of the world would assume is readily abundant in America, isn't exactly as sweet as it seems. Some people in America still drink water that smells like sulfur, and some faucets still drip red-mud whenever it rains.

The Americans living below the poverty line don't really give a damn about what's going on in Washington DC, or what's going on in the Middle East. It's kind of hard to care about the starving folks in Africa when your own kids are eating sugar-sandwiches 7 days a week, and having to wear dirty clothes to school.

I'm not saying our conditions are more severe than elsewhere in the world. They definitely aren't. America is the land of opportunity and some people just don't take advantage of those opportunities. Other parts of the world don't benefit from said opportunities, but when they picture America, they shouldn't be picturing Beverly Hills, because that's definitely far from the truth.

The truth is: the mental image the world has of America isn't exactly accurate. Looks can be deceiving. Media and popular culture are basically all false-fronts.

edit on 19-9-2010 by xiphias because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishspirit

Originally posted by Onet Wosix
There is a bit of a stupid 'fashion' to be snotty about Americans in the UK, especially amongst 'trendy left wing types'

Why? I really dont know - I think it is very very stupid.

If I ever hear anyone badmouthing the Americans, I try to remind them that thousands of Americans gave their lives all across Europe to ensure our Freedom, and to think before they start with the Anti American BS.

The people of the USA and my country, the UK, have given many lives to ensure the freedom of other countries - so to anyone who hates Americans, I say stfu.

edit on 18-9-2010 by Onet Wosix because: spelling mistake

please tell me these countries?

Last I checked, the UK did a PITTY PISS POOR JOB HERE IN ni. And in so far as I can see, you lot have done a worse job in Iraq and AFGANISTAN?

Pllease show me otherwise!

Everywhere you Brits and Yanks go, murder and carnage follow.

everwhere the Brits and Yanks go, murder and carnage follow?
eh?
what? so thousands of dead and injured Americans and British who fought to stop Hitler were wrong ?
maybe Stalin should also have been allowed to bully his way further into Europe - since he was such a great humanitarian also????

also check this...
Adolf was not planning to let his pure humanitarian goodness stop at The Irish sea...

www.irishcentral.com...

edit on 19-9-2010 by Onet Wosix because: n

edit on 19-9-2010 by Onet Wosix because: n

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Americans
Don’t hate them just think they are daft.
But here are a few points and bearing in mind this is only my opinion.
America governs the world markets ...America sneezes ..The world get a cold. In the UK we are already getting the backlash
America is built on consumerism...and when you look at statistics ..they really consume in comparison to other countries...in the UK we now have clothes for the oversize people..Probably due to big Macs. lol
Environmentally on a global scale they have not done that much ...too many vested interests.
The “Gung Ho attitude”..I trained with the Yanks in Norway many years ago and the attitude was we are Americans and our kit is a lot better than yours.
A lot of Yanks have fat necks and lots of hair and nice white teeth....may have nice teeth but they are candidates for heart attacks.
Americans like their guns and they have a right to have a gun...
I once read that one in ten Americans has some form of mental illness....statistically not good if 1 in 10 is allowed to own a firearm.
Economy primarily built on oil and all the vested interests that come with that.
Some Americans have far too much religion and patriotism.
Americans think that anything that is so bizarre is great and allow crap to take a hold without questioning the implications of such behaviour....until it bites them on the bum!!..
Americans love their cars...dosen’t matter how much the vehicle consumes in fuel and what it has cost the environment to manufacture...just so long as it looks good and its bigger and more powerful.
America produces totally crap shallow TV.
America believes it can impose its values on alien religious/religious cultures....ie Muslim countries..
They believe that they will capture hearts and minds with their “values” yet all they get is arms, legs and bits of torso’s.

America should really concentrate on the problems on its doorstep....the rest will sort themselves out ..Eventually...and other countries problems are bugger all to do with them...unless they have lots of oil or other valuable rescources...then its worth having a crack at taking over.
America should sort its own internal problems out first before going into any country with large kick ass boots and regarding themselves as the global police.

NO!! As a Brit I don’t hate the Americans....a lot of the Americans I have met have been fine and decent human beings, however, collectively there is a problem.

In the UK we are subjected to “Gangsta Rap” “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and some time ago..”The Dukes of Hazzard!

And that another gripe in the UK we get a lot of American TV programmes....and in my opinion... total crap....the garbage programmes from the US are so shallow....lots of effects and the “human experience but no real plot to the story.
UK TV is overwhelmed with American TV...and its crap
And another thing ...I believe in Jesus God whatever you wish to call the “Great Spirit” but some of the garbage I have seen is the Amercans have the monopoly on the creator!!

Anyway as said....this is an opinion and my observations......

Please feel free to flame., whatever...just my opinion thats all!! lol

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by shuck
Americans
Don’t hate them just think they are daft.
But here are a few points and bearing in mind this is only my opinion.
America governs the world markets ...America sneezes ..The world get a cold. In the UK we are already getting the backlash
America is built on consumerism...and when you look at statistics ..they really consume in comparison to other countries...in the UK we now have clothes for the oversize people..Probably due to big Macs. lol
Environmentally on a global scale they have not done that much ...too many vested interests.
The “Gung Ho attitude”..I trained with the Yanks in Norway many years ago and the attitude was we are Americans and our kit is a lot better than yours.
A lot of Yanks have fat necks and lots of hair and nice white teeth....may have nice teeth but they are candidates for heart attacks.
Americans like their guns and they have a right to have a gun...
I once read that one in ten Americans has some form of mental illness....statistically not good if 1 in 10 is allowed to own a firearm.
Economy primarily built on oil and all the vested interests that come with that.
Some Americans have far too much religion and patriotism.
Americans think that anything that is so bizarre is great and allow crap to take a hold without questioning the implications of such behaviour....until it bites them on the bum!!..
Americans love their cars...dosen’t matter how much the vehicle consumes in fuel and what it has cost the environment to manufacture...just so long as it looks good and its bigger and more powerful.
America produces totally crap shallow TV.
America believes it can impose its values on alien religious/religious cultures....ie Muslim countries..
They believe that they will capture hearts and minds with their “values” yet all they get is arms, legs and bits of torso’s.

America should really concentrate on the problems on its doorstep....the rest will sort themselves out ..Eventually...and other countries problems are bugger all to do with them...unless they have lots of oil or other valuable rescources...then its worth having a crack at taking over.
America should sort its own internal problems out first before going into any country with large kick ass boots and regarding themselves as the global police.

NO!! As a Brit I don’t hate the Americans....a lot of the Americans I have met have been fine and decent human beings, however, collectively there is a problem.

In the UK we are subjected to “Gangsta Rap” “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and some time ago..”The Dukes of Hazzard!

And that another gripe in the UK we get a lot of American TV programmes....and in my opinion... total crap....the garbage programmes from the US are so shallow....lots of effects and the “human experience but no real plot to the story.
UK TV is overwhelmed with American TV...and its crap
And another thing ...I believe in Jesus God whatever you wish to call the “Great Spirit” but some of the garbage I have seen is the Amercans have the monopoly on the creator!!

Anyway as said....this is an opinion and my observations......

Please feel free to flame., whatever...just my opinion thats all!! lol

American TV crap???
no way
what about...
Curb your enthusiasm?
Sopranos?
Family Guy?
The Shield?
all great imho

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>