It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4Chan-Coordinated DDoS Attack Brings MPAA Website Down

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by EFGuy

VERY interesting developments. S&F

As someone suggested (implied?) above, Hollywood producers and distributors will go bankrupt if piracy continues unabated. When that happens, we won't have any more block-buster films that cost multi-million dollars per to make, and more millions to promote. The industry will change.

What will our future film industry look like? Who will make films for free distribution via the Internet? What kind of films will they be? Who will decide what films are popular, when peoples' preferences and 'consumption' aren't "guided" by multi-million dollar marketing and advertising campaigns?

I wonder.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The MPAA obviously instigated this little war and were beaten, fair and square. But what worries me is the retribution that is obviously going to follow at the hands of the MPAA. They were bested by their enemies and embarrassed in the public eye...I suspect all hell is going to break loose on the pirates.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
So is this like the Internet World War 1.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Good job!

This makes me smile.

ef ewe mpaa!!
p.o.s.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
So is this like the Internet World War 1.

haha, something like that. I'm sure the retribution on the MPAA by 4chan will be the catalyst for a great deal of grief for the pirates. In saying that, I still back 4chan 100%, finally people have the power to knock organizations like that down a peg or two, and let them know we aren't happy.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
man ... you guys are completely nuts if you believe piracy is killing these people

the reality is that 90% of the people that download something illegal, wouldnt buy the retail product anyway, so, they are not losing money

thats based on the fact that most people barely have money to do their own things, imagine spending in entertainment

really, its logical what I am saying, I just get "pissed" because the industry and A LOT of people spread the disinfo campaign that piracy hurts business

I believe piracy may even HELP business, since a lot of people can have access to content they wouldnt never have, and by doing that, they will provide free advertising for the industry

edit on 18/9/10 by Faiol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I sense a disturbance on the net...

How come there has not been an influx of all the "pierats R bad !!!11" people?

Either way, it makes for a good feeling of well being knowing that the good fight can be discussed properly.

Though I do agree that the they should have beheaded one of the beasts many heads and not just kicked it in the pants, I'm sure they still feel the sting however.

And as for the Hollywood producers and distributors going bankrupt ????? Are you crazy?!
A brief snapshot - you know there are many more movies still airing.

Avatar-------------------- $749,766,139 since December 18 2009
Alice in Wonderland--- $334,191,110 since March 5 2010
Iron Man 2--------------- $312,128,345 since May 7 2010
Salt----------------------- $116,451,621 since July 23 2010
Robin Hood------------- $105,269,730 since May 14 2010
The book of Eli--------- $94,835,059 since January 15 2010
Hot tub time machine-- $50,287,556 since March 26 2010

Even HOT TUB TIME MACHINE made 50mill.

Those poor hollywood types will be eating 2 minute noodles pretty soon if this keeps up!!!

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
I believe piracy may even HELP business, since a lot of people can have access to content they wouldnt never have, and by doing that, they will provide free advertising for the industry

This is indeed true!

As I mentioned in another thread recently, there was an Indy film released called Ink that no one would distribute... So this is what the writer/producers did.

Distribution

As no big studio picked up the film for theatrical and home distribution, Double Edge Films pitched the movie directly to independent cinemas and also saw to the DVD, Blu-ray and online distribution themselves. DVD and Blu-ray copies of the movie are sold directly via the company's website starting from October 30, 2009 and are sold at retail stores starting November 10, 2009, as well as downloads at Video on demand stores. According to TorrentFreak, a file sharing news site, Ink was downloaded via BitTorrent 400,000 times in a single week and exposed the film to a large audience, leading to higher DVD and Blu-ray sales in return. Jamin and Kiowa Winans wrote in their newsletter that they had "embraced the piracy" and are "happy Ink is getting unprecedented exposure."Around Christmas 2009 the film was also released on Hulu for free viewing.

Wiki source

I personally found the movie charming and have purchased the DVD. I wouldn't have done that had the movie not been available to me and as it would never be screened where I am, viva la torrents!

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

perfect ...

and about other movies that do have distribution, what happens is practically the same ... people watch the movie, do reviews online, talk to friends ... buy DVD or Bluray, since they loved ...

thats how it works, its free advertising ...

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I hope that the MPAA realizes that they better back off. I know personally, that these are not the type of people that they want to screw around with. There are, many groups of, lets say, very knowledgeable people who could, and I am sure does sometimes, take or do what ever they wish. I know that there are some very large banks who pay these guys regular salaries, to keep them at bay! The ones that are genius level experts, (and there are many) laugh at firewalls. I don’t think there is anything that can stop them. They write there own hacking software! If one of them wanted to, alone he could completely, and seriously, smoke there whole network, and never even leave a trace. They do what they wish, but most are ethical.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I think these speak volumes The RIAA Spent $58 Million Suing File Sharers, Got 2% Back and this image.
The worst thing about these companies is that the anti-piracy measures they use only make things worse for the paying customer. Any measure they take is easily bypassed by pirates. I do think they have a place in the universe thought. They should find those who sell and make profit by pirating and go after them.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
this is a glorious day for we.

::edit:: second line

edit on 19-9-2010 by RelentlessLurker because: second line

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by EFGuy

GARRRR Matey, thar's not a landlubber in the MPAA who wouldn't keelhaul his own grandmother for the silver in her hair, says I.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
nice to see the MPAA got a little taste of their own medicine. Will they learn from it? probably not but I'm sure the 4chan guys and gals would love another crack at them and will hit the MPAA where it hurts them next time.

This DOS was more than likely just a shot across the bow of the MPAA next time the cannon will probably be aimed at the bridge!

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I'd like to know how many people show up for work for the MPAA and the RIAA with IPods in their pockets loaded up with pirated music and movies...

It would be great if somebody could prove somehow that they were breaking their own rules.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
I'd like to know how many people show up for work for the MPAA and the RIAA with IPods in their pockets loaded up with pirated music and movies...

It would be great if somebody could prove somehow that they were breaking their own rules.

Not MPAA and RIAA, but I think this is one of the best:
fontfeed.com...

And yes, where is the "Pirates are murderers" crowd? I've been looking forward to some barrel-fish shooting

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by EFGuy

theres a mass download happening now...

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
What happens when someone convinces /b/ to DDOS the IRS? It could happen.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I just want to say thanks for this thread and cheers for all the info that's came out from it. The French agency using pirated fonts and then rushing to buy new ones on the morning of their press statement shows that piracy is so endemic as to saturate even those responsible for it's demise.

I do think 4Chan should take down something bigger though. Perhaps IMDB - just to show what they're capable of if pushed.

-m0r

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I applaud.

Once again, anon has came through.

MPAA, bite one.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join