It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Returning to Afghanistan ? We just left !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I Just read an article ( in Dutch ) that says 2 of the new soon to be government parties agree on a new mission to Afghanistan to be object of discussion.

Not so strange considering that an opposition party got us to leave.

But... This really gets me angry !

You don't just , leave and start talking about returning within a year. That is just absurd !

It's time for the EU to have a military force. That way I do not have to get mad at my own government, and I can not be blamed for voting for a government that acts like this. The EU is not a democracy.

Source: www.nrc.nl...
( in Dutch )

I din not find an English source on topic. Please feel free to add one.

Thoughts please ?

~ Sinter

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Hi

As I gather from the article, they are only planning to send police forces there to train the Afghan police and military. It also seems like they are planning to send a rather small number of men over there. I don't think this is something to get to worked up about.

VVV

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I'm not bothered by Dutch forces out there. As they seem to actually were making a difference for the Afghan people.

I'm worked up because the majority did not want the Dutch in Afghanistan. We shouldn't have been there in the first place. IMO this also counts for any other manifestation of Dutch forces in the area.
The way they seem to forget this issue...

Well that's what's nagging me the worst. It feels like our opinions do not matter at all.

Which is true and thus reason for me to get mad about it.

It could be me of course ?

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
On a positive side, it also sounds like a good opportunity for your police force to gain some 'actual' boots on experience in a wartime situation that they would not normally have.. It beats training simulations.. Just my thoughts..

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Freelancer

Hi

Thanks for posting.

One question. Are you an Egyptian or are you just in Egypt ?

Cause if you are Egyptian, I'll have to ask... Why ? Are there plans for invading the Netherlands ?

Anyway...

My response to :

On a positive side, it also sounds like a good opportunity for your police force to gain some 'actual' boots on experience in a wartime situation

First.
I'm sorry, but I can't see anything positive regarding war. Why can't people just be nice to each other despite the differences ?

Second.
We already have participated in Iraq as well as Afghanistan. A few young guys got killed. For nothing I must add... I mean we didn't even finished what we came to do. Therefore I see even less reason to send more men out there, since some will most likely not survive, and we have already seen it could be for nothing.

Third.
If we are talking about actual police. Then I say ABSOLUTELY NOT ! Our country is a mess and more blue on the streets to protect my bike and the elderly is requested.

Fourth.
Please... Don't let the idiots that rule our nations start another global war.

If it's OK with you, I'd prefer to be your friend. Besides I'm of the opinion that any war would not be in my, yours or anyones best interests instead of a small few that actually benefit from it. I'd rather see them ending like royals in a French revolution.

Sad thing is. You do make a good point. I'll just hope the experience isn't needed.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Hi

(Since you asked)

Up until Dec 2009 I was living in the UK, I didnt feel comfortable living there anymore so I packed my bags (literally) and emigrated to Egypt, I have not once regretted this decision. (If) the SHTF I will take my chances here anyday than in the UK..

While I agree your police force should not have to gain wartime experience in order to carry out their duties, aside from actual combat experience, which is out of their domain anyway, they will no doubt pick up experience on crowd crontrol measures / rioting and civil unrest etc. Holland has experienced rioting just last year where Radio Netherlands WorldWide reported:-

In spite of police information that football hooligans planned to disrupt the party, the police were woefully ill-prepared for the event. A 19-year-old man was shot dead by police and six others injured. The Public Prosecution Office ruled that the low-ranking police officers, faced with 200 aggressive hooligans, fired out of self-defence.

Source

Besides, from now till they actually do decide to send representitives to Afganistan, it might be then deemed unnessasary..

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Freelancer

Migrated ? You don't have to answer,but I'll ask anyway. Do you follow a religion and are your roots English ?
Just curious.

It seems like a weird place to migrate to. Unless you are an archaeologist or something. I would never have chosen Egypt. To hot for comfort IMO.

Taking about the beach riots. I understand that the police was there in civilian outfit and they knew about the possible rioting. They should never have even been on the seen with a firearm. Every nitwit knows that a bullet will hit someone when fired in a crowd. The blame goes to those in command.
With what they knew the should have had a Mobile unite posted or at least available when needed. Not just a few undercover police men.

What bothers me most is that politicians ( again ) don't consider what the voters want.
Not surprising tho... They already got our vote for the next 4 years in office.

Sorry for being nosy. That's just me...

Thank you.

top topics

join