It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's The Easiest Way To Setup A Website

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I'm looking to use Web Mathematica to set up an online website. Anyone have any knowledge on how to use this particular software to setup websites? Also, I'm interested in creating websites without having to pay extra money for domain names and such. Any ideas on that? All input is appreciated. I'm a total beginner who knows nothing. As a matter of fact, I'm not even a beginner. I haven't got started on anything.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I've never used Web Mathematica so I can't advise you there, but if you just want to host simple websites that you can link to then there are plenty of free hosting companies.
I have an atspace account for uploading sites to show clients.
You get a free domain name like "myname.atspace.com" and you can add other domains to your account for free

edit on 17-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Haha ATSpace. I like it, just set one up myself
Good info.

Another alternative might be a bit more taxing but I also do this -

Using DynDNS you can setup a Free Domain name (they have just reduced the number of free names and limits - gah) but you can consider it. This gives you the ability to have something like http://myserver.thruhere.net (as an exmaple, you make up the myserver part of that name) which points to your IP address at home that you're using now to access the net (or any IP you have access over).

Then you can use something called Abyss Web Server (Free personal web server - dead easy to use) and use your home machine or one setup specifically for this, to host your server/files.

It's a little more taxing in that if you have a dynamically assigned IP address from your ISP, you will need to use a small utility from the DynDNS site that Updates their records with your changed IP. Also that you would need to have a machine on as often as you needed people to access your site.

It sounds more complicated than it is, but it's a great way to get involved with the basics.

If you have a Static IP address (Never changes) then it would be a lot easier, and you could even fork out a small amount to get a real domain name and point the services records to your static IP address at home.

Alternatively, and a lot easier is the suggestion from spanners - I think it certainly is easy and 50mb is not too bad for a free website these days.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
If you know nothing about web stuff and want a quick site,

Go here,(link below) to see a site which is built using drag and drop from ipage. its 2.95 a month, unlimited band width.

www.thechronicleproject.org...

go to the bottom right hand on the first page and click on the word

ipage
and you can see their stuff.
No I don't work for them, but i know people who use their stuff and it took them about 3 hours and they had theirs up and running. And it requires NO knowledge of computers (They also have 24/7 free support)
Have fun_javascript:icon('
')

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
The easiest way is to pay a professional to do it.

If you're interested in learning yourself then wysiwyg programs are not the way because they produce invalid code which leads to your website looking different in different browsers. There are plenty of ways to build a website - but only one correct way and that is to hand code using xhtml and css.

You will save yourself learning time by using rubbish like Dreamweaver or Frontpage, but you don't really know what you're doing then, and I firmly believe if you're going to do something, then do it properly, or give it to someone else who will.

new topics

top topics

join