It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Bans More than 100,000 American-Made Rifles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

According to The Korea Times, the Obama administration has blocked efforts by the South Korean government to sell over a hundred thousand surplus M1 Garand and Carbine rifles into the United States market. These self-loading were rifles introduced in 1926 and 1941.

Source

From the first source I read about this from, as I understand it, these are American Made M1 Garand rifles that were left after the war. The administration has blocked these rifles from re-importation.

Another Source is claiming that the executive order banned nearly a million rifles.

I can not confirm the credibility of either source.

edit on 17-9-2010 by Scarcer because: Add information

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
If this article is accurate, then the only issue that I see is one of safety. If there is more behind this story, I certainly do not see it.

edit on 17-9-2010 by jontap because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Would not be surprised at all.

Thanks for the read.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jontap

You have to admit the safety aspect is sketchy. Responsible gun owners take the time to clean and check their guns. So except for those who would purchase them as military collectibles and probably not fire them I cannot see the "safety issue". What this boils down to is restricting access to a simple to maintain rifle. Here is a little info on the rifle.M-1 carbine

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Crazy.. every hit regarding this points back to the same Fox news article. I looked at no less than a dozen sites and noone has named the executive order. They have just repeated what Fox has said and then ranted about wanting Osama/Obama dead.

One link did quote the original Korean site, which frames it as more of an import/trade issue.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
with record gun sales that have occurred and the major disatisfaction that the majority of americans have with them

its no surprise that they would ban them as far as obama and the democrats its arming their arch enemies.

gun safety that is laughable any serious gun owner takes care of their guns better than most people take care of their cars.

plain and simple its another hit the the second ammendment for the simple fact these weapons were made before the 1986 ban hence they are untouchable and its that isnt good enough military curio and relics yet another untouchable and legal firearm to own.

they neither have the authority or the power to ban them the constitution guarantees that- but wait guess it doesnt

ultimately another stupid move by the obama administration soley on the amount of tax revenue those sales would have generated including the federal stamps that would have been required and in this cash strapped entity known as the feds its really a stupid move.

edit on 17-9-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
I looked at no less than a dozen sites and noone has named the executive order. They have just repeated what Fox has said and then ranted about wanting Osama/Obama dead.

Why does that not surprise me.
Sound's like another scare-stunt.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
In my book, protecting the US markets is GOOD. We already have too liberal importation policies. Importing used weapons is hardly in the interest of the US.

I used M-1, it's nothing to write home about.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

Well I'm not surprised either, and not in the same way as the gun nuts to this thread. Regardless of whether these weapons are american made or not, the South Korean Government intends to sell these guns and make money of the sales. This is not good to many gun shops in the US, neither is it good for the NRA. 100,000 cheap gun sales from outside will only cause more losses for American gun shops who may very well sell these weapons for a higher price. The NRA has more influence over the government than gun nuts care to admit and they will not allow some foreign government to come in a swoop in sales and earnings from that. There are plenty of guns in the US so it is not (by far) a risk of shortage over weapons in this country, it is about money and influence over the weapons market.

This is protectionism on the part of the American government and the gun lobbyists behind them, nothing more.

edit on 17-9-2010 by Southern Guardian because: fix

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
who cares...these are just a bunch of old weapons anyway, their condition unknown im sure...tell me this...would you rather be shooting an M1 garand or an AR-15 lol...these guns are antiques and i'm sure u could find them in plenty of places here in the states if you collect them. They can throw these guns in the trash for all I care...they're outdated relics as far as I'm concerned

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Oh do not worry about American gun manufactures, 100,000 would last about 2 days to sell.

Especially these guns. My father had one of these that he sold when the family farm went under.

I would buy about 10 of them if they came over here. So would many other collectors. Heck, in my family alone we would probably purchase 100 of them. These are collectible guns.

Also, more than likely they were still in the original crates. Which means they were stored the old fashioned way, in oil soaked clothe. They would be just like brand new. Just break them down, take me about 2 minutes on the one model, and clean and inspect them.

The economic, danger, or any of the other excuses are bull.

Gun control period.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
I would buy about 10 of them if they came over here. So would many other collectors. Heck, in my family alone we would probably purchase 100 of them. These are collectible guns.

Also, more than likely they were still in the original crates. Which means they were stored the old fashioned way, in oil soaked clothe. They would be just like brand new. Just break them down, take me about 2 minutes on the one model, and clean and inspect them.

The economic, danger, or any of the other excuses are bull.

Its not bull at all. I can get an M1 Garand easily, you can still get them, the only issue is that they typically go for $1400 and while that is not unusual for that type of gun, it is still a big price. Gun shops earn plenty from selling these weapons, so if 100,000 of these same weapons are brought in by the South Korean government, howmuch do you think the price will be in comparison? Gun shops are set to loose $1000's and the gun lobbyists will not stand for it, not for their buddies.

Gun control period.

And how is it gun control? You can get these same guns at almost any gun store or wharehouse, there is not much of shortage, and there are plenty of other weapons out there. I fail to see where this is gun control? I fully understand that people like you wish to make this an Obama administration conspiracy, but really it is just gun nuts and lobbyists behind the scenes blocking any such move on their earnings.

edit on 17-9-2010 by Southern Guardian because: fix.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

If there are so many out there, how would it affect the price?

I just did a quick search, depending on the model, condition, etc. they could go from $100-2200 on the garand.

Sorry, the M1 in all it's variants, are one of the most stable and tough rifles. You could pretty much shoot it from under the mud. I know, used one for quite a few years.

My brother in law has about 12 of them. I think he has most of the variants. He is still looking for some of the different variants.

Sorry, some of the m1 carbines are rare and valuable collectors items.

The model my father sold at the farm auction right now would fetch some high bucks, being the m1a1 model. I would love to get my hands on these. Right now you cannot even get them without finding a specific private seller or some expensive auctions.

You know what is more valuable than gold right now, blue stock steel!

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I just did a quick search, depending on the model, condition, etc. they could go from $100-2200 on the garand.

$100? Please give me that link! Depends on the condition and variant yes, the cheapest Iv come across was $1200 for battle grade so I'd be surprised. I never said the availability of these guns were flowing, but they are virtually available throughout the US. By keeping these guns scarce prices are often jacked up and thats what many gun wharehouses/shops often do. Millions of these weapons were made from WW2 and following, and there are still many lying throughout the US. There is just this illusion that guns like this and others are extremely rare in order to maintain prices. Now imagine the Korean government steps in and offers up 100,000 of these same weapons? Many of the major gun companies were also shipping these weapons from overseas exclusively (Vietnam, Europe, Southeast Asia, the middle east) so when foreign traders intend to sell directly to the american people (for a fraction) as opposed to through gun owners where they can keep these guns scarce and in high demand, price, it does not do good for those who have been flowing in cash.

Do you have any idea howmuch the NRA was earning during the 90's? At yearly $150 million, and that was more than 10 years ago.
www.nragive.com...

Today they are far larger and far more influencial. They have deep interests with gun sellers and traders in the US, they cater to those larger earners from the gun industry. How do you think it'd look if they simply sat back, said nothing, and allowed for foreign traders to come in and sell freely as any other gun shop what would otherwise be 'rare' weapons at the fraction of the price? How do you think it'd look if their message was the same, 'gun grab, martial law, gun restrictions' and yet meanwhile a foreign trader comes in with 100,000 new weapons to freely sell to the american people? It will be harder to maintain that message.

There are countries flowing in older classic american guns from past wars, imagine if they came in and were allowed to freely sell? Think outside the square, please. The South Korean government would only be the tip of the ice berg. The NRA and the gun traders/sellers of this nation have their own interests.

Sorry, the M1 in all it's variants, are one of the most stable and tough rifles. You could pretty much shoot it from under the mud.

There are plenty of other gun models out there that can do virtually the same thing. While its arguable that the M1 garand is a collectors item, it is by no means a rare weapon in performance, neither is it really a rare weapon in itself, I mean the variants to be are little to no different to me. This is what I fail to understand, you are making this out to be a 'gun control' issue but on what basis exactly? That the Koreans cannot sell us more guns to the guns we have flowing everywhere in this country already? How does that work exactly?

My brother in law has about 12 of them. I think he has most of the variants. He is still looking for some of the different variants.

Yep, and he'd probably spend his money if the Koreans were allowed to bring in those 100,000 guns. Not good for the stores trying to sell their own. These guns will probably be sold next to nothing by the South Koreans, it will result in millions of dollars worth of losses to the gun industry. The gun industry is worth billions of dollars, I'd doubt the gun owners and lobbyists will accept the idea of loosing millions to foreign traders/governments. Every dime organizations and wealthy gun profiteers intend to keep, and in part they make their sales on fearmongering the public into thinking their gun rights and 'guns' are being taken away. Allowing 1000's more of these weapons to flow through the US all at once, it makes it hard not just to compete for customers, but also to maintain that message of the 'government threat' or the 'gun grab'.

The model my father sold at the farm auction right now would fetch some high bucks, being the m1a1 model. I would love to get my hands on these. Right now you cannot even get them without finding a specific private seller or some expensive auctions.

I have no doubt there are gun stores that will have them. You are prepared to pay quiet alot for such a weapon , you intend to spend it through foreign trade as opposed to through american gun shops. That does not look good for that industry and thats my point.

edit on 17-9-2010 by Southern Guardian because: edit

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

$100? Please give me that link! Depends on the condition and variant yes, the cheapest Iv come across was $1200 for battle grade so I'd be surprised.

My friend got one for $75 but caveat emptor -- it needed some serious repairs in lock mechanics.

Again, regardless -- protecting American markets is good! Koreans are already selling enough cars in the US.

new topics

top topics

join