It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Optical chip enables new approach to quantum computing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Optical chip enables new approach to quantum computing

bristol.ac.uk

An international research group led by scientists from the University of Bristol has developed a new approach to quantum computing that could soon be used to perform complex calculations that cannot be done by today’s computers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
It goes on:

Unlike conventional bits or transistors, which can be in one of only two states at any one time (1 or 0), a qubit can be in several states at the same time and can therefore be used to hold and process a much larger amount of information at a greater rate.

Wow! the next revolution!! Quantum! Get ready for technology to explode once more. Exciting times!

-Kdial1

bristol.ac.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
S+F from me.

Although, this isn't something new as far as I know, it's been in development for quite some time.

From memory I believe the problem has something to do with the quantum systems not being able to last long enough, i.e. they break down in such a fast period that it's unrealistic to use them effectively?

It's interesting in terms of encryption though, where they are looking at the ability of transmitting quantum bits over a link (be it WAN/LAN/Serial/etc) If someone tried a packet sniffing attack they would change the packet simply by viewing it and thus the connection would terminate there and then.

edit on 17/9/10 by Death_Kron because: spelling...again

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

Very exciting stuff. This type of technology is going to change things to a level barely imagined. Moore's Law will be thrust into overdrive.

I'm sure they are still a ways off from putting quantum computers in peoples homes but once this tech starts rolling, you will see it explode exponentially. This will increase the computing power for almost every field of science and mathematics, thrusting these subjects forward at an incredible rate. We could almost call it a "quantum leap"

We are on the cusp of truly remarkable things to come in the not so distant future.

I just hope that we can survive this incredible power and use it to better humanity and the planet.

Good luck humans, you're going to need it.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

Working for a major, global telecoms company (no names ;-)) I can tell you that, more than likely, in the next decade we will see a single socket coming into a property and through that connection VoIP telephony, broadband and IPTV will all be provided.

Analog is soon going to be a thing of the past, it's just the tweaking we are having problems with.

And I really should go to bed

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
reply to post by iamcamouflage

Working for a major, global telecoms company (no names ;-)) I can tell you that, more than likely, in the next decade we will see a single socket coming into a property and through that connection VoIP telephony, broadband and IPTV will all be provided.

It's called AT&T U-Verse and should be available now. In my area they keep calling us, asking us to subscribe but when they arrive, they find out the cable they put down at the curb over a decade ago (and broke our sprinkler doing), isn't even hooked up to the system! I believe we've been around the mulberry bush about five times or something. We'll keep trying and perhaps one day they'll have it together.

edit on 9/17/2010 by EnlightenUp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Is this quantum chip a processor? Is it overheating is that why it is not lasting that long?

I was excited about this part of the article:

In the short term, the team expect to apply their new results immediately for developing new simulation tools in their own lab. In the longer term, a quantum computer based on a multi-photon quantum walk could be used to simulate processes which themselves are governed by quantum mechanics, such as superconductivity and photosynthesis.

Additional Article
Additional article 2

-Kdial1

edit on 17-9-2010 by kdial1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join