It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maybe The Matrix Is More Possible Than You Imagine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Evening guys,

In philosophy, the brain in a vat is an element used in a variety of thought experiments intended to draw out certain features of our ideas of knowledge, reality, truth, mind, and meaning. It is drawn from the idea, common to many science fiction stories, that a mad scientist, machine or other entity might remove a person's brain from the body, suspend it in a vat of life-sustaining liquid, and connect its neurons by wires to a supercomputer which would provide it with electrical impulses identical to those the brain normally receives. According to such stories, the computer would then be simulating reality (including appropriate responses to the brain's own output) and the person with the "disembodied" brain would continue to have perfectly normal conscious experiences without these being related to objects or events in the real world.

Brain In a Vat

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b74678bb4583.png[/atsimg]

Not much to say about this one, just read the article and post what you think. It makes the possibility of the matrix seem a lot more possible and at the very least it's an intersting, if not scary, theory...

Thoughts?

edit on 17/9/10 by Death_Kron because: Image Embed

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I would say that it may be possible, but theres probably an easier way to convince a population to be sucked into a Matrix, if infact reality wasn't a Matrix in the first place.

For example, with these new 3d tv's coming out, its only a matter of time until our entertainment source is something we wear on over our eyes, and it being something you interact with. Therefor, it would be easy to manipulate the persons mind, and convince them their concept of time was wrong, thus locking them into the experience.

I once had a dream I put on virtual reality goggles, and I don't necessarily remember taking them off.

Enjoy

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

Yeah, good point!

I also read something recently, I'm not sure whether it was on here or the article that I've posted, that the brain doesn't know the difference between a dream and being awake.

The swing on this theory is that if the brain doesn't know when we are dreaming and when we are awake then who's to say that when we believe ourselves to be awake we are actually dreaming and when we are "asleep" dreaming we are actually living reality?

It's a mind numbing concept and without wanting to sound a little foolish, it has at times kept me awake at night.

I love a good sleep just as much as anyone does but one thing that scares me is that, in my opinion, sleep is very much like death. Sure, you can feel tired and at times even know that your about to nod off but generally you don't know when your going to fall asleep, you don't know how long for and you also don't know when you will wake up.

It might sound a little stupid but I'm the sort of person who doesn't like not being in control and even something as mundane as falling asleep can, at times, make me feel like I'm at the mercy of something I can't control.

And people wonder why there are some many insomniacs....?

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

It's a mind numbing concept and without wanting to sound a little foolish, it has at times kept me awake at night.

I love a good sleep just as much as anyone does but one thing that scares me is that, in my opinion, sleep is very much like death. Sure, you can feel tired and at times even know that your about to nod off but generally you don't know when your going to fall asleep, you don't know how long for and you also don't know when you will wake up.

It might sound a little stupid but I'm the sort of person who doesn't like not being in control and even something as mundane as falling asleep can, at times, make me feel like I'm at the mercy of something I can't control.

And people wonder why there are some many insomniacs....?

How can you know that this isn't the dream and that other place is reality? Maybe you're fighting to stay in the illusion while believing the opposite.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

In philosophy, the brain in a vat is an element used in a variety of thought experiments intended to draw out certain features of our ideas of knowledge, reality, truth, mind, and meaning. It is drawn from the idea, common to many science fiction stories, that a mad scientist, machine or other entity might remove a person's brain from the body, suspend it in a vat of life-sustaining liquid, and connect its neurons by wires to a supercomputer which would provide it with electrical impulses identical to those the brain normally receives. According to such stories, the computer would then be simulating reality (including appropriate responses to the brain's own output) and the person with the "disembodied" brain would continue to have perfectly normal conscious experiences without these being related to objects or events in the real world.

The matrix is the reallity, it's it. It's made out of duality. Soft ware version and hard ware version. Dark and light.
Software version is what you see with your eyes, hardware version is what you feel, the dark, it's hardware, cold reallity. The colder it is outside the more you feel. I prefere mine not too hot, drinking a hot coffee on a cold winter. How real is that, real as it gets, welcome to the matrix, the best place where one could be.

edit on 17-9-2010 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
How can you know that this isn't the dream and that other place is reality? Maybe you're fighting to stay in the illusion while believing the opposite.

Technically I can't mate, that was the point I was trying to make...

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

We bringing chinese philosophy into this?

Yin/Yang? Everything has to have a balance, every reaction has an equal opposite reaction?

Good post though, it's nice to add other aspects into the debate.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

There is a difference in the mind though. Your mind has different chemical reactions while you are asleep, therefor, it knows theres a duality of reality. Nothing is what it seems.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Or, you could admit that "The Matrix" was a special effects-driven movie, which spawned several sequels.

And, like most Hollywood movies, not very reality relevent.
Shall we all just pick a movie and run our lives by it's theme?
I'll choose "Babe". The world looks like the NZ countryside and everyone is judged by their actions, not preconceived notions of how they "should" behave. And everybody has talents and worth.
It's a much nicer scenario, don't you think?

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica

There is a difference in the mind though. Your mind has different chemical reactions while you are asleep, therefor, it knows theres a duality of reality. Nothing is what it seems.

But your brain doesn't know it's asleep, that's the point I'm making.

I'll agree though, nothing is what it seems...

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by stars15k
Or, you could admit that "The Matrix" was a special effects-driven movie, which spawned several sequels.

And, like most Hollywood movies, not very reality relevent.
Shall we all just pick a movie and run our lives by it's theme?
I'll choose "Babe". The world looks like the NZ countryside and everyone is judged by their actions, not preconceived notions of how they "should" behave. And everybody has talents and worth.
It's a much nicer scenario, don't you think?

Your missing the whole point of the thread, the fact is that the plot behind the Matrix movies has an actual philosophical concept behind it...

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I would really hope that if I/We are all plugged into some artificial reality in order to harvest our bio-energy that it would be a little bit more exiting than this.

I know in the matrix Agent Smith told little Neo that they had to make it mundane because entire crops were lost etc, but common - give me a space ship or super powers for crying out loud.

Even xray vision would suit me and I'd happily let them feast of my batteries.

As it is, it's saturday morning and once more I spent the entire evening/night/morning unable to sleep, fiddling with electronics, repairing a guitar amp and checking ATS.

Therefore I submit, I like your theory and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
reply to post by pepsi78

We bringing chinese philosophy into this?

Yin/Yang? Everything has to have a balance, every reaction has an equal opposite reaction?

Good post though, it's nice to add other aspects into the debate.

It's western phiosophy as well. Male and Female, Dark and Light, Adam and Eve ?
Eve as in "evil", the evil female that is dark, but she is the beauty, ohhh you feel. Never let go of your eve or you will become a machine. On the other side is the colective, the adam the light, assimilation.

Bolth side have good points and flaws. It's the Christian VS Satan. But god is only one it has no sides, people make it look tho by making religions up.
Time to put games aside and make it as a speaces, or it's the reset button.
I know I don't want to be assimilated, and I know I don't want to be a bitch, if I have to I'll be one, I can do that and hit the reset button. If things continiue as they are with tricks then we are not worth it and it;'s reset.
So the best way is just be your self and stop living like a robot.

I;m not going to go into it, it's not worth it, once you know it all it's sad, and I do not know it all, thank god.
Life is meant to be lived, it is special. So I guess it's reset, better than to become a walking zombie. Or perhaps we get to go for the stars as we are. Who knows, only time will tell.

If some go to the extreme to become a robot then it's reset, better for that to happen then to become a walking abomination, lifeless corpse. It's a disgust and I am disgusted. It's what some do, they give in all the way. I like it when it rains, I can feel my self.

edit on 17-9-2010 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Hehe, I like your attitude!

It's just gone midnight here in the UK, I'm drinking Fosters so you should like me for that simple fact!

Don't let that amp give you too much grief, take some sort of satisfaction in knowing your the one probing the circuit with the multi-meter, or is it the other way around?

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Fosters!! My condolences..

Haha for a while there once I got the Amp working again, I had a sense of strange insomniac brainsnap and as I was testing it out, I wondered if I'd accidentally zapped myself and was actually lying on the floor, dead, and my last conscious thought was of imagining I was playing the guitar. So it was a bit funny when I read your thread

But then I heard how awful I was playing and realised I was fine...

Or those damn machines just like the sound of clanging cat strings in the wee hours.. Those swines!

I shall make sure I have a real beer for you this arvo, when I try to egg my body into giving up and actually sleeping by feeding it a good stout!

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

That's the spirit mate!

I'm sure your music sounds great, don't worry about it. I like to attempt to sing after a few aussie tinnies and I can tell my missus aint too happy but she's a good enough girl to not point it out

Going to be bed time for me soon, so I'll wish you a very good morning and enjoy the beer on me, I'll be thinking about it! (albeit in my sleep)

P.S. I've heard in Australia you have an equivalent to Marmite called Vegemite? And also that you have kangaroo meat in the supermarkets?

Completely unrelated to this thread but I'm quite keen on cooking and would love to hear your thoughts.

Seeya soon buddy

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I am fairly certain that I am already existing in a simulation. The question is if this board and everything I am reading was created by the simulation or if this is a group experience as in we are all from some far future participating in a experience "what it was like to live during the begining of technological revolution" or perhaps we are just nerds in the future playing a Sims simulation.

join