It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival living (Outside the box)...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Forget about hard core SHTF just getting by day to day is tougher than it used to be, especially when it comes to housing and finding a place to call your own... well thanks to a recent issue of mother earth news I found this really cool idea... A grain Silo turned into a home!
Tucked away in the wilds of the rural American Midwest one might not suspect the nature of this home from a distance – it is, after all, easy to mistake for the two silos that were joined to create it. Up close, however,

From the road this looks like just another old silo...

The best part is there are farmers who if you haul them away... Are more than happy to just give you their old silo's.... you just have to invest in the sweat equity to put it together...

Remember when it comes to survival living ya gotta think outside the box, like this feller did

For a DIY how too check out this site first

He used two much smaller grain bins to create this storeroom/ with a playhouse above for his kids

edit on 17-9-2010 by DaddyBare because: Edit to add link

edit on 17-9-2010 by DaddyBare because: added another picture

CX

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
What a great idea.

I love the space age-like pods for sleeping in, the whole thing looks great.

We have a programme here in the UK called Grand Designs, they often feature great projects like this.

Thanks for posting this.

CX.

edit on 17/9/10 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Thats awesome! The first pic makes it look almost mansion like with all the windows. Just needs to be overlooking a pond and itd be perfect! If you didn't go completely off-grid I wonder what the utility bills are like?

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by rakkasans cti]
If you didn't go completely off-grid I wonder what the utility bills are like?

The wife and I are going to build a detached guest/studio and I've looked into round house design because they don't present as much surface area to heat robbing winds... making them warmer in the winter... with proper insulation and tall windows to let in the sun or fresh air...I would guess a place like this would be downright cozy and fairly cheap to heat and cool...

edit on 17-9-2010 by DaddyBare because: correct my atrocious spelling

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
THATS GOTTA BE THE COOLEST THING IVE EVER SEEN!!!!

im going to present this idea to a few friends and see where it goes. i like the idea about it being warmer due to the shape.

nice little funny in the title.

s+F!

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Excellent to see. I like it when people think laterally and come up with simple and effective ideas.

This silo reminds me of a home in our outback that began life as a massive concrete water tank set halfway back into a hill. The people who bought the property simply cleaned it out and began building a three story house inside it that was magnificent. They retained the plain concrete finish on the outside, although now it had windows and main awning over the entrance, with a desert garden and paths for a yard.

Simple and elegantly used... like this silo.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Such a great idea! I'm just getting more and more inspiration to create my own home some day soon..

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Gah! It always seems that those who 'go off the grid' or whatever, are the ones wealthy enough to live comfortably ON it.

Maybe when I win the lotto and become a millionaire I too can live like I need to live in a mud hut or an old silo.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Ohh how I would have loved to live there 10 years ago.
When the kids would mess up I would tell them to put their noses in the corner.
0.o

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Last night I went back to the magizine to reread about this house...
the one in this picture was not made with recycled stuff but all new ...
still the over all cost to build and matain this 7,200 sq foot home was the same it would be to build an operate a standard 1,800 sq foot boxy ranch style home...

thought you all might like to know that part...

edit on 18-9-2010 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
There is an entire "genre" of low impact living that focuses on reclaiming unused silos. I have seen some old books that cover this in good detail.

I have lived entirely off the grid and in the round in a yurt. The round experience is definitely enjoyable. It forces a typically new realm of creativity to come to fruition.

I would love to find some old silo and fix it up. One of the most ignored elements of "green building" is reclaiming space and not building new. So many time I see something touted as green but the building was erected right next to a vacant home.

Nothing is more green than reclaiming space, I dont care how your new home is built.

Of course, I do appreciate the efficiency of new "green" designed homes.

new topics

top topics

join