It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shock Audio: Facing ‘Obligations’ From Leadership, Democrat Congresswoman Leaves Voicemail for L

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
While it is pretty clear that our elected representatives in DC have long since left the interests of the people behind, it's seldom that you get to hear the blatant disregard for ethics. It appears that Rep Norton from Washington DC left a voice mail to a lobbyist soliciting campaign contributions... Having heard and seen her plenty of times on the local DC TV affiliates, it does sound like her, but I will let you decide for yourself.

www.biggovernment.com

A couple weeks ago, House Member Eleanor Holmes Norton made a fundraising call to a lobbyist. The lobbyist wasn’t available, so Holmes Norton left a voicemail.
We have been given a copy of that message. The audio is below.

By way of background, with their prospects for November quickly deteriorating, Congressional Democrats are scrambling to assemble the financial resources they hope can stave off their electoral armageddon. Speaker Pelosi and her leadership team are putting a lot of pressure on Democrat members to pony up campaign contributions to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. In the article linked above, Politico noted:
In August, Pelosi and other top leaders wrote members, saying, “We need to know your commitment is to maintaining a strong Democratic majority now” and pleading with them to call “to let us know what you are able to do and when.”
The pressure is especially strong on members from “safe” districts, who need little campaign money of their own to win reelection. The catch, though, is that many of these members haven’t amassed vast campaign war-chests, for the simple reason that they haven’t needed them. So, they are scrambling to meet their Pelosi-imposed obligations. Holmes Norton is from one such “safe” district–the District of Columbia.
In the following voicemail recording, Holmes Norton seeks a campaign contribution from the lobbyist and even mentions that she hadn’t previously asked for a donation. Such is the pressure Speaker Pelosi has placed on the members. But, it is the content of Holmes Norton’s message that is interesting. (Note: the first few seconds of the recording, where the name of the lobbyist is said by Holmes Norton, have been redacted by the source.)

Below I have linked to a variety of different viewpoints on this news, for me the only shocking thing is that she would have left this on a voicemail, I don't think it's a big leap to think that this doesn't happen frequently from reps on both sides of the aisle, in my opinion they ALL need to be sent packing.

related articles:

www.politicsdaily.com...
www.politicsdaily.com...
abcnews.go.com...
mediamatters.org...

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
If nothing else it shows how afraid the Democratic Party is of the upcoming elections.

Now if the Republican Party could see things through clear lenses, maybe they would straighten their act up. I doubt they change their ways if they think they are about to win.

What we have is a firmly entrenched two-party system, and neither party can be expected to let that power that they hold escape their firm grip.

I believe that drastic change is needed in the system. I believe the Constitution works, but only if the three branches of the government abide by it. The Executive branch, through the use of executive orders; the Judicial branch through over the bench legislation and the Legislative branch with their blatant graft, corruption and hypocrisy have made a mockery of the Constitution. The only problem with drastic change is found in its definition, it would be revolutionary. Few revolutions come without violence, and I would hate to see the toll that would come with what actually needs to happen.

S&F!

edit on 17-9-2010 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
This is ordinarily handled by staffers so this must have been a major donor at some time. What I really don't like hearing is how she is head of the "largest economic development project in the United States right now, the Homeland Security building complex"....etc. somewhere in Maryland.
This is where our "Stimulus" money is going?

This does ZERO for our economy, creating a few temporary jobs to further institutionalize an overbearing security state apparatus that we neither need nor want.
We need long term jobs, not more big .Gov projects.
Those in power in Washington are making plans to stay there long term.
Somehow I'm beginning to wonder if we will even have the pretext of an election in 2012.
Not that it matters, we haven't had a fairly elected President in over a decade.
These people give me the creeps.
America, it was nice knowing ya!

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I felt the same way- DHS needs to be downsized if anything.

But I have never trusted Holmes Norton. She stinks with corruption. For her to personally call does seem desperate. Thank goodness we haven't let her become a full member of congress.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Jack,

This is an awesome demonstration of the problem we have when all of the political parties are driven by the ability to draw money from constituency.

I was shocked to hear this:

I’m handling the largest economic development project in the United States now, the Homeland Security Compound of three buildings being built on the uh, old St. Elizabeth’s hospital site in the District of Columbia along with uh, fifteen other, uh, sites here for, that are part of the stimulus .

The largest project in the US?
Homeland Security Compound? In Washington DC? Not overseen by any governor... only the DC Mayor perhaps?
Fifteen OTHER sites?
Part of the STIMULUS?

So let me get this straight... the largest project in the US right now is part of the Stimulus package and the beneficiaries are the technocrats at the DHS? Oy.

Committees that are appointed to carry out productive functions on behalf of the people, concerned about how other members got 'contributions' but not her? We ARE talking about campaign contributions right?

Disturbing to say the least. Poor guys will probably subjected to all sorts of DHS/FBI scrutiny and no doubt an IRS audit to boot!

[sarcasm]How dare they make public her message? As a public servant and a congresswoman she deserves MORE privacy because after all her business is the security of the homeland, right?[/sarcasm]

Politics and business.... business and politics... whats the difference? Who get's the money - and what are the consequences for those who refuse the 'privilege' of contributing?

OMB investigating? Inspector General maybe? Ethics Committee perhaps
?

Great find.... thanks for sharing this one.

edit on 17-9-2010 by Maxmars because: typo

edit on 17-9-2010 by Maxmars because: To add one more paragraph in outrage

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I posted this yesterday

www.abovetopsecret.com...

-Kdial1

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Looks like Lil Nancy is getting Worried . Next on her Agenda fo Deomcrats..........

i297.photobucket.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The bad thing is this nothing unusual but business as usual in Washington.

This Member of the House will be elected again, and this crap just keeps going on. The people of her district just don't care that they elect criminals and extortionists.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
After reading the article and listening to the audio tape this gives one pause to think and question.
Now I am a common person, have a decent head on my shoulders, and have not been to college. Now after listening to this audio, it leads to the following question:
If this is to ask for a campaign contribution, and that is what it was, why was it mentioned that she is determining where part of the stimulus is going and where? Is this an attempt to state, though unspoken, that if they contribute, that it will directly benifit them?
And Nancy Pelosi's statement that this congress was going to not be doing anything wrong, did this just prove that she lied to the general public?
Now I do know, and have heard, that those in the congress, spend part of their days soliciting for funds to help with re-elections and to help out their party, to keep their party funded so that way they can keep in power, but this should be something that goes out to the general public and bring to light. If there is a case of a suspected violation of ethics,this is definately one such one, as it leaves me with the question that this person is not acting in an ethical manor.

top topics

join