Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

How accurate are IQ tests?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
In the ATS media there is a documentary "Stupidity" which talks about IQ tests a lot and how incorrect they really are as some "stupid" people turn out to be actually very intelligent. Here's the youtube link of part1. The ATS one doesn't let you see it outside of US.

Those that worked even briefly in any kind of technical support know how infinitely stupid humans can be, just how unfathomably infinite stupidity is... not even funny, more like mind bending. It is worst when you have to interact with people incapable of basic communication who work in high positions... it's not their IQ, it's just that they're... insane. But don't raise your nose too high, that insanity can get its grip on anyone.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
We don't know what intelligence is.

There are, if I'm correct, 120 different ways that science can "test" for intelligence. 120 different, very different, tests.

Essentially, science has no definition for "intelligence" yet.

Is nature intelligent due to its ability to evolve? From other animals to plants, fungi and even just rocks?

Are we unintelligent because, even though we have the gift for intelligence, we rarely ever use it?

Amongst IQ test scores, I think there is one blaring similarly that can be proven pretty easily. If, amongst Caucasians, Germans are the highest scoring IQ rise per capita (I don't mean just German Nationals either but GERMAN Germans) then my theory is likely correct.

The reason being, amongst the highest scores of IQ in race/ethnicity, the three highest rankings would be Ashkenazi Jews, South East Asians, and Caucasions. I can also bet you amongst the south east asians, the highest scores come from Koreans, Chinese and Japanese individuals.

What this tells us is that IQ is likely based more on intellectual discipline than anything else. Ashkenazi Jew's are incredibly disciplined from studying their religion indepth; German's have a culture of discipline especially in regard to intelligence; The same can be said for Koreans, Chinese and Japanese. All of these people have a very intellectually disciplined culture. It should be no surprise that, IQ rise, they score higher.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

Standard-issue IQ tests certainly take time into consideration as an indicator of intelligence. Contrary to popular belief, however, an individual's IQ and their speed of thought and processing are often paradoxically aligned when viewed through the lens of high intelligence. This paradox arises from the amount of information that highly intelligent individuals must process, comparatively, in a given situation.

Consider the funnel analogy: a person of normal intelligence may be represented by a standard graduated cylinder- when placed outside during a storm, raindrops will sporadically fall into the cylinder and fill the it at a pace that is slow and steady. In fact, many of the raindrops will miss the cylinder entirely! It may never even reach filling capacity.

Now consider the individual of high intelligence; they may be compared to a graduated cylinder with a wide-mouthed funnel attached to the top. This funnel allows more droplets of water to pool within the cylinder, allowing it to become filled at a faster pace. Eventually, this cylinder will reach a point of overflow, and additional droplets will be rejected, outright. By analogy, highly intelligent individuals are constantly processing more information (including details that would seem mundane, or would simply be overlooked by the individual of average intelligence), analyzing more information, and retaining more information on deeper levels. Paradoxically, highly intelligent individuals often need a longer period of time to analyze information because they inherently observe and retain more information than their peers of average intelligence.

Any IQ test that is designed with a higher-than-average ceiling will be untimed for this reason (among others).

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
IQ is a necessarily subjective concept, so you can forget about the idea of having a "100% accurate" IQ test because the very concept is meaningless.

That being said, the correlations that have been made between IQ and success (one poster mentioned IQ and the Wealth of Nations; there is also the more controversial The Bell Curve) show that it is not "meaningless junk science" as another poster stated.

The truth is as usual somewhere in-between. IQ is something that's worth looking into but which should be taken with a grain of salt.

edit on 17-9-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier

The thing is each time you take it EVEN if the questions were changed you will get a feel for the format .
So each time your score will be higher . It may not change but one point BUT it will change .

If you don't even bother to acquaint yourself with the format of a test that you care about doing well on, then yes, that does indicate something about your relative intelligence. Not something good, I might add.

As far as "common sense", you can test it, but it's always situational, and relative to immediate circumstances. Also, it's culturally based. If you're in a country where it is considered an insult to touch someone's property with your left hand, then "common sense" should tell you to avoid doing that. However, if you've never been alerted to that custom, then how common can that common sense be? Well, for you anyway.

I've run into these IQ threads before, and they always devolve into 98% of the respondents being hostile to the idea of IQ testing or even the validity of the concept of innate intelligence. Mensa's entry criterion is a tested IQ of 148. Roughly 2% of the tested population. The percentages are often reflected in threads like this.

Have fun.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

According to that test i am 31% evil.

congradulations. you are 69% angel. um...

i am guessing that would be the wings and halo.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tribble
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

That was a hilarious test. I am 33% Evil- does that holding a cat ransom might still be in my future!

there are reasons why i would not hold a cat for ransom. but the test did not ask all the right questions.

et

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
People put way too much stock in such things. I tested and qualified for Mensa, but have no real desire to be around most of these folks, (or pay dues, to do so) hehe... Online tests have to be inaccurate, my guess is + about 30 points or so...(I'm a bright guy, I think, but I just don't think I'm as high as I test on these...) (and if so, man am I wasting it...
)

Anyhoo...if your friends, family, co-workers, and acquaintances think you're smart...then you are. That's really the best (and only) test that matters friends....

On another note, a lot of these tests include trivial knowledge of things like sayings, etc. that may or may not be part of your culture. For example, define this:

SOMEWHERE

RAINBOW

If you've never heard the phrase "Somewhere over the Rainbow" culturally, you're not likely to get it. Doesn't matter how smart you are. That's why I think these tests have a lot of inherent flaws.

edit on 17-9-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
Thanks i understand and appreciate your comments.

I do feel however you are missing my point.

Let's say a person did an IQ test and the results were, 140 IQ. This then automatically makes this person think he is intelligent or clever, smarter than 3.6 billion people, purely based on the result of the test. But if the test was inaccurate, his whole belief and credibility is destroyed with that information.

So how do we know then how smart someone really is?

VVV

You know, I have pondered that. I actually believe that is a good thing however. I believe that if a person feels they are more clever than they really are, they will attempt to "act" clever and strive for enlightenment and intelligent movements in their life...even if they are simply average.

It is a trick to get people to evolve and admire the intellect of others verses become envious of those vastly more intelligent than themselves...like the opposite of high school where it was considered cool to be an idiot...mostly because during those years, people typically have loads of people calling them an idiot for one reason or another.

movements come out of familiarity...and if being smart is familiar, then no doubt a push to increase the knowledge and wit will soon follow (with the negative side effect of people thinking they are the smartest thing since sliced einstein)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'm not sure how much I can trust anything born out of the Eugenics movement.

This test also fails to measure a person's overall creativity which can be seen as a form "intelligence" itself.

edit on 17-9-2010 by immortal coil because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
People put way too much stock in such things.

Anyhoo...if your friends, family, co-workers, and acquaintances think you're smart...then you are. That's really the best (and only) test that matters friends....

Gazrok,

I agree with you regarding friends/peers - that probably is your best feedback for your intelligence.

However, in some situations, a very intelligent person can actually be perceived to be mentally challenged - due to the fact that their peers simply cannot understand their reasoning in many subjects.

I am currently a member of Mensa - and I believe the Mensa IQ test, and the Millers Analogies Test, both seem to be pretty reasonably normalized and accepted IQ tests by a variety of psychologists and High IQ organizations.

If you are curious I would take one or both of these tests - but they are timed and there is usually a testing fee associated with them.

Some other tests - such as the SAT, ACT, GRE taken during certain periods have also been normalized and are often accepted for determining IQ in an individual.

I often find I score a perfect score on online IQ tests - as compared to these tests - so I wouldn't put too much faith in them or their utility.

I, personally, have an IQ listed as 145 - but I frankly believe it may show higher if I take the MAT - which I'll probably get around to in the next year or so.

(I wouldn't mind joining the Triple Nine Society and the Prometheus Society - as they seem fairly interesting as well - however I do not presently qualify)

If you're interested in joining a High IQ society - I would recommend Mensa - because it is the most inclusive of the mainstream IQ organizations and thus has far more resources and benefits than the others.

I have found, however, that I would consider many in Mensa to NOT be my intellectual peers - while I have found many on ATS to be - so clearly IQ does not take into account all the necessary elements for a high functioning general intelligence overall.

I do like that on the Mensa forums you can talk about almost anything without having to explain yourself - because fellow Mensans are typically reticent to ask for clarification and will thus research your topic until they have a rudimentary understanding.

Though - I swear - despite their IQ - some of them are as thick as bricks through and through!

edit on 17-9-2010 by truthmagnet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I recall taking "The World's Hardest IQ Test". It was in OMNI magazine
thirty years ago, and I was a kid. You could use any reference you
wanted and take as long as you wanted. I sent it in and scored 148!

After spending an inordinate amount of time in front of the mirror
striking poses and rehearsing phrases like..."My name?...Bond,
James Bond," and/or sending letters to major universities letting
them know my services were available to lead "think tanks" to
solve major world problems, or give lectures on any subject that
might need some lecturing, I decided to apply to MENSA.

Turns out I missed the cut by two points (my number two pencil
snapped during the test and skewed my results) and I found out that
they weren't as impressed with me NEARLY as much as I was impressed
with me (which I found out later thru experience to be a normal occurrence
in my life).

One last thing, if you take an online IQ test, and pay money for the
results, you have to subtract 6 points from your final grade for falling
for that scam...

edit on 17-9-2010 by rival because: to dumb down my response so that laymen will undertand

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

Rival,

You should take the Mensa administered IQ test - it does not cost that much and you would likely qualify!

In my previous post I neglected to mention that MANY here at ATS may already qualify based on older test scores:

www.us.mensa.org...

If it seems I am pushing Mensa here a little agressively I will admit I am - right now there is a real shifting of the guard from Baby Boomers to Gen X in the Mensan leadership - and the more enlightened and visionary minds - like those so commonly found here at ATS - who join - the sooner Mensa will be reformed into the World Class organization it was always intended to be!

I encourage anyone and everyone who is qualified to join - it is not costly and it has extensive travel benefits and far reaching online networks immediately available to new members.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I haven't read every post in this thread, actually I'll admit that I only read the OP so please forgive me if I'm repeating what others have already said.

IQ tests are not that accurate at all in my opinion, they do not take certain factors into account such as common sense, emotional intelligence or knowledge about a particular subject (unless you happen to be very good at maths/logic reasoning)

Intelligence can be measured in different ways, I knew a lad at high school who was an absolute boffin for his age, extremely intelligent and academic; passed his 12 GCSE's with straight A* 's.

However, if you had taken the guy into a pub or asked him to go to the shop to buy some fags/bread/milk/item of your choice he wouldn't have a bloody clue.

It's great knowing at 13 that two bombs in fact were dropped on Japan during WW2 but not so great if you don't have the common sense and social ability to function adequately with your peers.

Don't get me wrong, I used to get along with the guy but could never have a laugh or banter, he simply did not understand it. I couldn't go to the pub with him as that wasn't what he did, I couldn't go to the gym with him as it wasn't what he did etc

I remember a conversation with him once and he was asked "What's your favourite TV program?" His reply "I don't watch TV" Someone said "What do you like listening to on the radio then?" His reply "I don't listen to the radio" Next, someone said "What sports do you enjoy?" He replied "I don't like sports" etc etc

Finally, the conversation ended with someone saying "Well what do you do then?" He replied "I read, that's it"

It's great to "just read" and obviously I'd never tell anyone how to live their life but living life isn't simply about reading, it's about experiencing life, interacting with people, even getting in trouble occasionally; if your never in trouble you'll never learn...

I think the intelligence of someone has to be looked at on many levels and a simple IQ test doesn't give a realistic view of a persons intelligence, just like an arm wrestle doesn't give a true indication of someones strength; you can beat someone at an arm wrestle but it doesn't mean, as a solid fact, that your stronger than them.

There's different types of strength just as there is different types of intelligence...

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Alora

Lol, I was also, but didn't have the heart to say anything as I understood the OP may speak different languages at home.

Reminds me, I still need to get around to attempting to learn Afrikaans. I'll put Farsi on hold I think...

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Death_Kron,

I wonder if your friend had high functioning aspergers syndrome.

Quite a lot of people with aspergers syndrome seem to score well on IQ tests - but have - as part of their disorder - a distaste for socializing.

I think it would be negligent to stereotype the majority of Hiqh IQ people in the world as being socially disfunctional - although their may be a higher percentage of antisocial members in Mensa then say your average social organization.

With over 137 Million potentially qualified members worldwide - I think you'll find plenty of genuinely social people amongst Mensa's membership.

I. myself, can be encouraged to engage in social behavior - particularly if the promise of good beer is presented.

edit on 17-9-2010 by truthmagnet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by truthmagnet

I don't think so mate, the guy was basically just a book worm and enjoyed studying. Don't get me wrong, he could hold a conversation and interact if he needed too but he was never "one of the boys" and simply didn't like that sort of thing.

He also never had a girlfriend or showed any interest in the opposite sex at all, I also don't have any reason to believe he had an interest in his own sex i.e. a homosexual.

The poor lad seemed to devote his life to education, which isn't exactly a bad thing, but when it comes at the expense of actually living life I think it's slightly misguided to say the least.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
A friend of my daughter who does IQ tests for Oakland County schools in the Detroit area gave my granddaughter an IQ test two years ago when she was seven, unofficial, she scored 150, her friend said it would be much higher when she is older as there are things they can't gage or test at that age.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Someone will only be as smart as you perceive them to be. Just like right and wrong. You may think some one is smart for being good at math, them they just may be a social retard who is only good at crunching numbers, not any smarter than a calculator. IQ TESTS are there to get kids competing at a young age. They're useless.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
IQ tests are worthless. All they really test is how socially acceptable your way of thinking is, according to the people who make the tests.

And this is coming from someone who was put into "gifted" classes starting in 2nd grade for my results on them, and got around a 140 on the last one I took.

The have "emotional IQ" tests and all other flavors now too. It's just a pissing contest, like I said, doesn't really mean anything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join