It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British invention is out of this world Skylon Spaceplane

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Wired news

Wow guys, first I`ve heard of this....and it looks like the post is 2 years old

It looks like some similaritys to the sr71 nacelle`s

Bill

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Camperguy
Wow guys, first I`ve heard of this....and it looks like the post is 2 years old

It looks like some similaritys to the sr71 nacelle`s

Bill

Thanks for posting. I've been following this project clearly. They look similar because they serve a similar purpose, to capture and control extremely high speed air. The front element is movable and tunes the shock waves being formed on the input stage. These waves reduce the speed of the air to subsonic, in order for it to be correctly cooled.

Skylon is an incredibly exciting project. I wish they were hiring technical staff that I'd have a chance of getting.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
old news

Nazi Germany thought of such project known as the Amerika Bomber

and that was in the 1940s

even the design looks similar

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

No, It really isn't.

The Skylon vehicle looks cool and everything but its not really the point. The SABRE engine that drives it is the USP. You have a single engine that functions from the runway all the way into orbit.

This will change aviation in the same way as the jet engine.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   

This will change aviation in the same way as the jet engine.

Agreed. In terms of commercial flight I hope they sort out the concord esque prices. Its not very often you see high speeds being applicable to practical applications like passenger flight.

Bring on LapCat - scale image below.

edit on 3-12-2012 by tdk84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

You have to go MACH 38 to orbit Jupiter without falling into it, about 28,000 mph, faster than earth escape velocity–(to leave earth orbit). I thought it would be faster than that.

The reason for this is because (for example) a satellite orbiting 300 miles above Earth's surface is roughly 4250 miles from Earth's centre of gravity, but a similar orbit above Jupiter's cloud tops would be 44700 miles from the centre of mass.
edit on 3-12-2012 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Looks like they hit another landmarks. Tests are starting to prove the application.

www.bbc.co.uk...

UK engineers developing a novel propulsion system say their technology has passed another key milestone. The Sabre air-breathing rocket engine is designed to drive space planes to orbit and take airliners around the world in just a few hours. To work, it needs to manage very high temperature airflows, and the team at Reaction Engines Ltd has developed a heat-exchanger for the purpose. This key element has just demonstrated an impressive level of performance. It has shown the ability to handle the simulated conditions of flying at more than three times the speed of sound. It did this by successfully quenching a 420C stream of gases in less than 1/20th of a second...

*Edit* bloody hell, taken them 7 years to get this far from last post. 2010 when it was first mentioned.
edit on 8-4-2019 by tdk84 because: content

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: tdk84
Looks like they hit another landmarks. Tests are starting to prove the application.

www.bbc.co.uk...

UK engineers developing a novel propulsion system say their technology has passed another key milestone. The Sabre air-breathing rocket engine is designed to drive space planes to orbit and take airliners around the world in just a few hours. To work, it needs to manage very high temperature airflows, and the team at Reaction Engines Ltd has developed a heat-exchanger for the purpose. This key element has just demonstrated an impressive level of performance. It has shown the ability to handle the simulated conditions of flying at more than three times the speed of sound. It did this by successfully quenching a 420C stream of gases in less than 1/20th of a second...

*Edit* bloody hell, taken them 7 years to get this far from last post. 2010 when it was first mentioned.

Is it me or does the reporting of "a novel propulsion system" seem quite patronising.

However, whilst the engine is getting there, didnt the SR-71 also expand in size 40 odd years ago with engines that could take it to Mach 3 - so now we have another engine that can push an aircraft to mach 3, do we have aircraft components that can match the engine?

You are my Solskjaer,

My Ole Solskjaer,

You make me happy,

When skies are grey,

Oh Alan Shearer,

Was so much dearer,

Please dont take,

My Ole away.
edit on 8 4 2019 by Forensick because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join