It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Waiting lines at charity kitchens grow longer in US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Article

New statistics for 2009 show 43 million people – or one in seven Americans – are living below the breadline. This is the highest number in more than 50 years when they first began tracking these numbers.

As in so many other cities in the United States, manufacturing once drove the economy in Silk City. There used to be silk factories that now sit abandoned and decrepit. Signs are everywhere of the jobs that have disappeared or gone overseas.

Just thought I would share this.

I havent looked up the statistics yet relating to this article, but I would think that the numbers would be pretty close. I dont really know what the future holds.

Edit - Heres a related article

Article

While the number of homeless people in America is peaking, some have been forced to live in the woods for years because they have nowhere else to go. And their numbers are only growing.

In the US state of New Jersey, picture-perfect homes can be found just 20 minutes away from tents put up in the woods, because the homeless do not have anywhere else to live.

Local authorities have been disturbed by the camp’s existence and have tried to shut it down several times. However Reverend Brigham believes the real danger is in the real world.

The only option offered by local officials has been beds at a local psychiatric institution among the mentally unstable. But the community did not want to move there, saying it is more than they can handle, already living a tough enough life.

This article pretty much talks about a single tent-city in New Jersey. It dosent really talk about others in the US.

edit on 17-9-2010 by buni11687 because: extra stuff

new topics

join