It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avatars That Impress People & Make you Look Really Cool

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
So I noticed many ATS users try to make a big impression by googling and then uploading an Avatar to their profile. Humans are beings that are obsessed with image and what others think of them. Were are people getting these Avatars for their profiles?

Is there a psychology behind these people who really want to IMPRESS PEOPLE or look COOL only on the web?

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I made my avatar. I am sure that most of the rest of us here do the same. I have never heard of getting an avatar from google. How does that work?

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I think you'll find its got nothing to do with being cool, but I'm sure you can agree its a lot easier to see someone who posts when they have a recognizable avatar.

I can then scroll down and see without having to read all the names (which means i can speed scroll) ... yeah that guy usually posts good stuff ill read his opinion over some randoms.

So I think you will find its more about speedy recognition then anything else.

Im sure you will agree that there is nothing really "cool" about my avatar but if people are speed scrolling down a thread they will know I posted there pretty quickly rather then having to read every individual name.

edit on 17/9/10 by King Loki because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
LOOK at mine, it's super special awesome. I just changed it yesterday actually, my other one is pretty super too.

But in all seriousness, I see nothing wrong with an Avatar. I actually enjoy making them, it's like a form of digital art IMO. Some people use symbols they feel have meaning, others hide secret messages in them, some just use them to attach some sort image to their character, which I don't mind either, attaching real faces to people can be boring, this is ATS after all. Avatars also help me to quickly look at a thread and know instantly who has made the post, because I can't remember names as well as faces or avatars, and the images stick out more.

edit on 17/9/10 by CHA0S because: grammar

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I think people here use avatars for a variety of reasons, although Ive never thought of them as being cool or out to impress people.

Yes they can be a persons identity on ATS but to me theyre just created for fun.

As for where they come from, theres quite a few of us (me included) that make avatars for others, all you have to do is ask.. its all free

If you want one just let me know.

People here take more notice of what a person says [on ATS] rather than what avatar theyre wearing.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Hey CHAOS and King Loki and John Q! I am really impressed by your avatars. They look really cool.

edit on 9-17-2010 by groingrinder because: Edited to include John Q.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
in my opinion an avatar does nothing more than differentiate you from anyone else on the board. the whole "you are doing it to look cool " statement reeks of a noob who is about 14 years old.

perhaps in the original posters world people only do things to be cool. in my world, things are cool, because i do them!

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I just recently put one up so that I could join the cool people. I think it's pretty sexy. Now my posts don't even matter as everyone will be far too mesmerized by the hotness that is my avatar that they will pay my text little to no attention. That's how I live my life. Don't judge.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by John Q

As for where they come from, theres quite a few of us (me included) that make avatars for others, all you have to do is ask.. its all free
Not all of us go to the masters, some of us have the skills to make our own, probably a lot of us actually, a great deal of people on ATS actually work in highly technical fields, you would actually be surprised, though we seem to have less of those people now, professional and technical posts are lacking at present. I've seen some really tripped out Avatars in my time here, and I know many of them were original.

reply to post by MeSoCorny

I laughed so hard at your post in that "corn sugar" thread the other day.

edit on 17/9/10 by CHA0S because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I've had the same avatar for a while.

It's gone through a few variations by some of the finest avatar makers in this place.

I don't think it has anything to do with wanting to seem cool, it's an identifying feature of members. Something in my mind used to easily locate and know who is responding.

It's also art in my mind and really enjoy seeing new avatars and getting new ones. One should be on the way actually....

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu
in my opinion an avatar does nothing more than differentiate you from anyone else on the board. the whole "you are doing it to look cool " statement reeks of a noob who is about 14 years old.

And also someone who is unable to make or upload an avatar and rather than asking for help, they attack people with avatars.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Paradigm2012

i cut and and paste to create my avatars to convey ideas, not impress anyone.

i also put a little bit of who i like, or what i think of myself into my avatars (aka mini background image).

and yes, there are sometimes psychological reasons for some of the stuff i put into my avatar/mini background image.

are you thinking i wear this to impress you, and that is my intentions?

or do you think i wear this to help share a little about who i am and how i think with the ATS community?

< does this make me look cool? (no it is not a picture of me, but i wear it to let people know i have a humble sense of humor)

it's just a little bit of who i am, and i choose to share it,
et

edit on 17-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: to crop things

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Making m'self an avatar makes me less bored, otay?

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paradigm2012
So I noticed many ATS users try to make a big impression by googling and then uploading an Avatar to their profile. Humans are beings that are obsessed with image and what others think of them. Were are people getting these Avatars for their profiles?

Is there a psychology behind these people who really want to IMPRESS PEOPLE or look COOL only on the web?

I'd say no more than putting something like 2012 in your username...

and oh welcome to the internet.

edit on 17-9-2010 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Mine is an actual photograph of the residue of a supernatural encounter. And frankly the enhanced version of the photograph came out rather well I thought. Maybe too well. The original was just a red blotch.

As far as where it came from and what it means well, some things around here should remain ATS don't you?

edit on 17-9-2010 by ntech because: Spelling, Punctation, etc......

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
My avatar means something to me. Anyone who knows the film it may mean something to them. If I was trying to impress anyone, I wouldn't bee doing it anonymously here on ATS.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Paradigm2012

Cause they're fun to make.

And making them lets me procrastinate from getting REAL work done.

I'm good at putting off doing work.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

There is nothing wrong with corn sugar! It's good for you!

You were probably blinded by the sheer awesomeness of my avatar which made you unable to disagree with the statement (the true statement) regarding corn sugar.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I like the band, The Sword and I thought a picture of one of their album or poster covers would look cool. My other reason for the name is related to the Sword of Camelot.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Watching Mystery Science Theater 3000 is anything but cool and my avatar reflects my uncoolness by giving tribute to the evil Torgo, he who must be evil as he has huge knees and works for The Master, who also is quite evil as he, um, well, I'm not sure why, exactly, he's evil, but he is. Trust me on this.

So no, it doesn't impress anyone nor does it make me look cool. Quite the opposite.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join