It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert to rally in D.C.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I'm tempted to go. DC isn't that far from me. I need to start working on a sign that says "I'm an agent provocateur, please donate rocks." Does anyone know the brand of boots that the DC cops will be wearing? I'll need to get a pair. Hopefully, with a few well-placed rocks, I can get either Stewart or Corbert tazed for resisting arrest. Maybe both.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by KerbDune

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Intersting, when the "right has a rally, it blows up the boards here on the ATS. However when the left does it, eh, no big deal, the double standard continues as always....no news here, just more he said she said from the left.

This is not a rally "from the left". Neither Stewart or Colbert are representing any political party or ideology. Maybe you think of them as being "from the left" because they are intelligent and don't use folksy language?

Elaborate on why this is a double standard. I suspect your logic makes no sense.

I've witness Stewart for years now mocking and deriding everything right-wing, with a token stab at the left once in a while. Do you seriously need examples or have you been watching with the sound off?

Stewart being a hypocrit

Nice little slight-of-hand there in your post when you insinuate that right-wingers can be grouped as anti-intellectual and redneck. There's a kernel of truth to that, like all stereotypes. Just like those snarky narcissists at Starbucks viewing the Daily Kos website might possibly be safely assumed to be left-of-center.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
On The Wings Of Hate

The key to success in U.S. politics is to choose a wing (the choices are "left" or "right"), then blame everything on the other wing. The beauty of the system is that no matter which wing you choose, you'll always be right, and the other wing will always be wrong.

From there, the script pretty much writes itself. Every single issue will always be a matter of left versus right, and regardless of the facts, we can always rest assured that the other wing is wrong.

Its genius is its simplicity. I mean c'mon, what's not to love about that?

Even better, the more you flap your wing, the higher above everyone else you become. People who don't flap as strongly are closer to the other side, and thus worthy of derision for being so weak-minded. The higher you go, and the farther away from the other wing you fly, the more superior you are, the stronger you become, the more pure of heart.

Why can't everyone see that? Because they are evil, of course.

Again, it's so simple. People who agree with us are good, and people who disagree with us are evil. And let's face it: they're evil because they choose to be evil by not agreeing with us.

How evil!

The feathers of our chosen wing don't just raise us above others, however, they surround us, comfort us, keep us warm in the certainty of our righteousness and protect us from the evil ones who are so deserving of our intense, undying hatred.

And so we may glide through life, on the wings of hate, and never worry about being wrong, or hating the wrong people. All will be right with the world -- once we destroy those evil people in the other wing.

But there is always something, and in this case it's the one group of people even worse than the other wing. They don't choose a wing, but flutter around in the middle, never making up their minds, flaunting their weakness and lack of conviction, sometimes siding with us only to betray us later by siding with the other wing.

They call themselves "moderates" or "independents", and are never to be trusted, because you never know which wing they truly belong to. They stand for nothing, and so are even more contemptible than the evil ones in the other wing, because at least we know what they stand for.

Thus they deserve even more hatred than the other wing, which is the one thing both wings can agree on.

And there you have it: U.S. politics (and in many other countries) in a nutshell.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time for my daily ritual of hating the other wing, hoping they die and making sure they never forget it. It's stressful and time-consuming, but fighting the good fight in the battle against evil always is.

But we must never stop fighting, lest the horrible cancer of unity infect and destroy us all.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

What kind of heretical nonsense is this? Are you a communist? I'm confused......and frightened.

edit on 17-9-2010 by Connector because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
How far can satire go as a political movement? I guess we will find out on 10/30/10. For that matter could Glen Beck be interpreted as satire?

You seem satisfied with the official story...good for you.

We'll at least they are not "Lesbian Vampire's" ...
Other thread ...
... apparently that's getting to be a concern for so-called Main-Steam Media ...

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Stewart and Colbert are nothing more than Beck wannabe's.

Both choosing the same day to draw pitiful numbers. Just trying to have someone show up in an attempt to mock the new political reality in America,

If you can't beat the message, you try to mock it to make it look sinister or stupid. These guys are playing both cards at once.

Truly pathetic how far these guys are going to imitate Beck and his message.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Ah ! but you failed to mention that we (the moderates) are what keep the wings under control and can shoulder the burden safe in the knowledge that if we allow either wing to flap overly hard they will, as single wings are prone to, flap in ever decreasing circles until they disappear up their own backsides.

Better the motto of "Can do !" (compromise) than
"Don't know what you're for..but I'm against it!" (R)
or
"I have a flashlight and a map but still can't find my backside!" (D)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
Stewart and Colbert are nothing more than Beck wannabe's.

Both choosing the same day to draw pitiful numbers. Just trying to have someone show up in an attempt to mock the new political reality in America,

If you can't beat the message, you try to mock it to make it look sinister or stupid. These guys are playing both cards at once.

Truly pathetic how far these guys are going to imitate Beck and his message.

Sorry but was that a whooshing noise as this passed over your head ?

It is called humor. If you in all honesty believe that which you have written, I suggest you watch less Beck.
Incidentally Beck & Co. really do not require help in the stupid department, in point of fact both FoxNews AND MSNBC should be labeled "sitcom" channels for they are both laughable. (That's right no fan of your nemesis either...scary huh?)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

...wait...

ok, umm. all I need to say about this is...

Are they really that unoriginal?

Restore sanity? how?Restore Sanity in what? Whats the message here? Is there a message?
What is the 'plan'? To get a bunch of people together to do what?
If its to make fun of our current out of control government, thats fine. Sanity needs restoring in that arena.
But if its to just be jackasses and to mock a group of people who are serious about changing things in Government, than they are only making themselves look stupid.

My bet would be on "they are doing this because they are that stupid".

But, I hope I am wrong. I hope there is a positive message in all of this.

But I doubt it, it is Comedy Central afterall. I for one wouldnt waste hard earned money to go watch these clowns.

Oh here it is--
To "beg America to stop shouting, throwing and drawing Hitler mustaches on people other than Hitler (or Charlie Chaplin)."

Yea, didnt think it was going to be important. I will draw mustaches on anyone I want =)
And I am going to shout the whole time.

edit on 17-9-2010 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Can I give you a bit of a european perspective on whether Beck gets more viewers than either Colbert or Stewart.
I had never heard or seen Mr Beck on my TV until he was brought to my attention by ATS, Fox doesn't have a main news channel in Europe. We have Sky instead which is owned by the same group.

On the other hand Jon Stewart has the daily show global edition on CNN & Comedy Central has hosted numerous awards shows like the Oscars and is pretty well known on this side of the pond

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I'll be going just because I think it will be high-larious to have more people show up for a Joke than what Civil RIghts Leader Glenn Beck and his 87,000 people thought was Real.

Stewart and Colbert's audience probably has a higher median income than most of Beck's unemployed pissed off rednecks, so more will be able to afford airfare as well. With Halloween the next day, I am guessing a lot of people will come in costume too.

How fun a little trip to DC this will be.

Before I am pigeonholed, just wanted to add I think Obama and Democrats are worthless too. We live in an Oligarchy. The two parties use issues like abortion, gun control, and teaching evolution in school to make it look like there is a difference. There isn't. They all serve the same masters.

edit on 17-9-2010 by Crimelab because: added personal views

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
If I had the money I would so go in a heart beat.

Matter fact, I would vote for Jon Stewart if he ran for president, no kidding.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I'd love to go to this if I could get out of my location for it. Need a serious car pool trip lol.

It sounds like a really interesting thing for them to do. I mean, it is somewhat of a joke, but it also seriously challenges the reality of the Tea Party's influence. Most of their party seems to be more hot air than anything.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
reply to post by neo96

We're way off-topic. I'll send a u2u.

You have alot more patients for trolls than I.

must be hard to repress your liberal anger back...why not just call FEMA to have this guy hauled off?

I keed. but seriously...this whole being reasonable thing is not going to go over well against the fringe...they hate that.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mclarenmp4
reply to post by neo96

Can I give you a bit of a european perspective on whether Beck gets more viewers than either Colbert or Stewart.
I had never heard or seen Mr Beck on my TV until he was brought to my attention by ATS, Fox doesn't have a main news channel in Europe. We have Sky instead which is owned by the same group.

On the other hand Jon Stewart has the daily show global edition on CNN & Comedy Central has hosted numerous awards shows like the Oscars and is pretty well known on this side of the pond

You gotta understand...Stewart represents liberalism...which is a bit of a globalist viewpoint. That will be far more acceptable a philosophy for anyone not living directly in the country of its origins..
Beck is a hard social conservative, which is almost completely about local pride to the point of elitist xenophobia...and so ya, anyone right outside the borders of said country would not find their information very enjoyable at all...

This is no different than a moderate discussing issues in another country verses the hard conservatives of that country...consider Iraq...the liberal voices are the younger ones wanting better standing and trade with the west, the conservatives and their flock are the ones burning flags and calling for the death of the west...

same thing here, but less fire (for now).

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mclarenmp4

well aint it a pity european and global votes in dont count.

the votes that do count are americans.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

troll eh while you may feel that way the mods that have read through this thread havent felt the same way.

but making a comment like that is trolling in my opinion.

see how easy that troll label is use

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

troll eh while you may feel that way the mods that have read through this thread havent felt the same way.

but making a comment like that is trolling in my opinion.

see how easy that troll label is use

Your opinion...my opinion...and about 3 bucks will buy a cup of coffee.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

keep your 3 bucks after obama is done with us your gonna need and plus the fact i dont like coffee.

better yet go find a homeless man or woman and give it to them.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong (I know you will
). Wasn't Colbert asked by a group shortly after Preacher Beck's rally to lead a rally to "Restore Truthieness"? It seems Jon Stewart was not chosen but felt called to rally the busy sane majority that he believes watch his show. I don't know, but for me with Colbert I feel his pure comedic motivation. However Jon Stewart seems a bit serious about this...whoa. Then the interview with Clinton...am I smelling Jon Stewart's political ambition?

Please don't get me wrong I am a fan of Jon Stewart and Colbert so no hard feelings just an observation.

edit on 18-9-2010 by Leo Strauss because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join